PDA

View Full Version : Lee Van Corteza

KalboKev
08-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Nice write up by Ted Lerner, used to use Ted's internet cafe almost daily when I lived in Angeles City.

His observations about Lee Van's attitude seems to be spot on. LOT's of pool on TV here in the RP. I watch most of it. Immonen won last year on live national tv, and Lee Van turned his back, never even attempted to shake Mika's hand.

As a "transplanted" Pinoy, I wasn't proud.

warped cue
08-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Thats just poor Sportsmanship. There might be more going on behind the scenes between them though. Mika has always been a Gentleman everytime I have seen him play.

Rich R.
08-05-2010, 06:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warped cue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats just poor Sportsmanship. There might be more going on behind the scenes between them though. Mika has always been a Gentleman everytime I have seen him play. </div></div>
Mika definitely has his moments, as we all do, but most of the time he is a gentleman. I have only seen Lee Van play a couple of times and he always appeared to be a gentleman too. However, I agree with you. For Lee Van to turn his back and not shake hands, there must be something else going on.

KalboKev
08-05-2010, 07:21 AM
I've NEVER seen the "Iceman" be disrespectful, win or lose. Lee Van wasn't playing Earl for goodness sake. I understand that he wanted to win, there wasn't any contention during the match. I live in the great country of the Philippines, and I found it insulting.

bradb
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Rich, I agree with you on behind the scenes goings on that we don't know about. I talked to a friend on a chat line who was in the audience when Earl was playing in an event in Europe.

I'm not siding with Earl as the guy is a known hot head, but my friend said that the minute Earl came into the room fans began heckling him relentlessly before he even had a chance to sit down. The razzing was brutal as they blew horns in his face and called him every name they could come up with in English.

A lot of players would have had trouble dealing with that situation. Of course TV viewers never saw the treatment he got before the telecast, they just saw Earl being Earl. My friend noted that he was disappointed with the officials there who could have done more to deal with the crowd.

Rich R.
08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich, I agree with you on behind the scenes goings on that we don't know about. I talked to a friend on a chat line who was in the audience when Earl was playing in an event in Europe.

I'm not siding with Earl as the guy is a known hot head, but my friend said that the minute Earl came into the room fans began heckling him relentlessly before he even had a chance to sit down. The razzing was brutal as they blew horns in his face and called him every name they could come up with in English.

A lot of players would have had trouble dealing with that situation. Of course TV viewers never saw the treatment he got before the telecast, they just saw Earl being Earl. My friend noted that he was disappointed with the officials there who could have done more to deal with the crowd. </div></div>
If we can believe some of the things I have read in the past, the Euro's love to see Earl blow up and they taunt him as much as possible. Earl is not my favorite person but I have to admit that he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. Unfortunately, it makes for good TV in Europe and I don't think the tournament officials will don't anything about it.