PDA

View Full Version : POOL and DRUGS

bradb
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Cliff Thorburn and Kirk Stephens (top Canadian snooker players a few years back) used to drop cocaine. When they were caught and penalized by the league their game never returned to their old form. Here in Canada it damaged the reputation of organized snooker so bad the game has never recovered.

Some pool players use amphetamines and other drugs to compete. I have never tried any thing like that myself as I've always felt that any drug would do more harm than good to help your play. When I played at the league there would always be some players who would disappear outside for a while and it was obvious what they were up to. But they usually played worse when they came back to the table. Same thing with booze, it relaxes you but your focus goes to hell.

There are stories around now about some drugs that can intensify a players concentration in a precision game. A lot of sportsmen believe that even golfers like Woods may be doping. I have often wondered if thats true. I don't think it is, but there are no doping test for golf or pool. Brad

Fran Crimi
08-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Brad, I can't tell you how angry it makes me to see players take drugs to play pool. I have played against many players on drugs, unfortunately, and it is a helpless feeling to feel that you are being cheated by these players and there is nothing you can do about it.

I think they should take a good hard look at the Hall of Fame and rethink some of their heros. Would some of those players have achieved what they did without the drugs???

Unlike the past, there are now doping tests for pool. It's not perfect but at least it's better than the past. Any player who plays in a WPA (World Pool-Billiard Association) sanctioned event is subject to drug testing at any of those sanctioned events. Also, several players around the world, including North Amreica, are subject to out of competition testing at any time. That means that anyone from the national anti doping association can show up at one of these named player's doorstep at anytime and administer a drug test for drugs that have been banned for competition. There are penalties for players who fail the test, such as a mandatory two-year ban from competition.

If you want to see the list of banned substances, you can go go the USADA (United States Anti Doping Agency) website or the WADA (World Anti Doping Agency) website.

Rich R.
08-08-2010, 07:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they should take a good hard look at the Hall of Fame and rethink some of their heros. Would some of those players have achieved what they did without the drugs???
</div></div>
My personal pool HOF hero is a man I worked for back in the late 60's, Lou Butera. I can tell you first hand that he was very anti drug and he didn't drink much either. I'm happy to say I picked the right pool hero.

As some one who can't have a couple of beers without it affecting his game, I can't imagine how these guys play under the influence of drugs.

Fran Crimi
08-08-2010, 07:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As some one who can't have a couple of beers without it affecting his game, I can't imagine how these guys play under the influence of drugs.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000099"> I imagine it's just like anything else, Rich. It takes practice.</span>

bradb
08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Unlike the past, there are now doping tests for pool. It's not perfect but at least it's better than the past. Any player who plays in a WPA (World Pool-Billiard Association) sanctioned event is subject to drug testing at any of those sanctioned events.
</div></div>

Glad to hear that Fran, I had'nt realized there were now doping tests for pool. Its one of those touchy areas that any organized sport tries to keep in a low profile. But its there and needs to be controlled.

Hopefully all winners and runner ups will be tested in the future.

Baxter
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I play pool under the influence of marijuana all the time. However, it is legally prescribed to me under California's Proposition 215. Do you view this as "wrong" or unmoral?

bradb
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baxter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I play pool under the influence of marijuana all the time. However, it is legally prescribed to me under California's Proposition 215. Do you view this as "wrong" or unmoral? </div></div>

No, I do not see that as wrong or immoral. Although in an WPA sanctioned tournament you may have to ask if that is allowed for you to enter.

I was on anti depressants some years ago for a while. I took the drug because of my health, not to have an unfair advantage over my opponents. The medication helped me but did nothing for my game, in fact I played worse. I don't believe pot is no more a game enhancer than what a few beers do, here in Canada pot is almost legal. If pot helps you to be what you would be normally should you not need it, then thats fair.

But people who are using powerful drugs such as cocaine, crack cocaine or designer drugs just to enhance their play are not playing fair and don't deserve to win. The players I mentioned who went outside just before a match were snorting coke to try to give their game focus an edge, and for some coke does do that. Its illegal, dangerous and makes a mockery of honest play.

Brad

Bambu
08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
I plead "da fif" on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rissm5YHJQg

Fran Crimi
08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
LMAO! That's too funny, Bambu. He's really a funny guy. I always try to watch him when I can.

warped cue
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I can not play great as it is! Drugs? My game would sink!

bataisbest
08-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Personally, I play better while having a few beers vs. when I'm sober. It seems like I have a better feel for the table and a more relaxed stroke.

Sid_Vicious
08-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I think there ought to be a DPPA league. How can a mere stimulus of a drug make you a better player? let'em play, head to head against each other. I think it'd be fun! If you "can play", then I don't see why a line snort or a toot of anything should beat your game. It ain't worth whinning about.sid

bradb
08-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think that drugs make anyone a better player technically, what it does is helps to focus more intensely and ignore the stress of pressure situations. It comes at a price of course.

Kirk Stevens was absolutely unbeatable at his peak, but when he was busted for cocaine possession his game came crashing down. He never came back even close to his earlier form. Thats to bad because without the coke he may have been another Steve Davis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Stevens

On a different note there was a snooker player here in Canada, (Werberniuk,) who had a doctors prescription to drink beer while in a match. Quite a story on him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Werbeniuk

Fran Crimi
08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Experts in the field consider WADA banned substances to be 'performance enhancing.' These are professionals in their fields who have studied the effects of various drugs on athletes. I would venture to guess that they're better at determining why certain drugs are performance-enhancing than we would be.

Brad, I would agree with you that certain drugs that calm your nerves and give you clarity would certainly help your game. That would be one aspect of performance-enhancing. Also, there are drugs that give players the staying power to play match after match. Gamblers used to take drugs to hold up over hours of marathon playing. Players on the one-loss side of a tournament often have to play match after match. It can be grueling and a real test of endurance.

Fran

hondo
08-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I used to be able to get a little buzzed and play pretty good bar pool, but I liked to be straight as an arrow to play serious regulation pool.