PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Cuemakers and Others - Titlist Conversions

08-27-2002, 11:55 AM
How much less, typically, would it cost to have a cuemaker do a titlist conversion as opposed to ordering a brand new cue (with equivalent detail)? I am operating under the assumption that providing the cuemaker a titlist butt would result in significant savings. Is this true or am I just way off base?

Cueless Joey
08-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Val,
If you have your own Titlist, send it to Ned Morris. He does great work at very reasonable price. I suggest putting ivory diamonds or spears at the tip of the points (they're almost never even). I Uni-Loc pin and stainless steel joint (to forward the balance on the butt-heavy titlists) and leather wrap would be awesome. Ned does great leather wraps.
I am thinking heavily on having Ned make me another cue.

Pizza Bob
08-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Depends on what you're looking for in the conversion. If you're talking about a simple "add-a-joint" conversion, then, yes you probably could realize significant savings. However, keep in mind that Titlists are of the "fat butt" generation, so simply adding a joint usually isn't satisfactory. To bring a Titlist up to today's standards requires totally rebuilding the cue. This means sectioning the points out (in effect creating a half-splice)and possibly coring that, adding the grip area (usually maple or a laminate under the wrap) and then creating a butt sleeve out of the remains, to match the forearm. Then you have all the normal items that go into building any cue. Plus, if you want to get fancy you add further expense which results regardless of what you started with (Jim Buss does some really neat spear points on both the ends of the splice). Keep in mind that, unless you already have a Titlist, they are currently bringing $130 to $150 on Ebay when one appears. I guess the question is: How badly do you want one?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

08-27-2002, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Val,
If you have your own Titlist, send it to Ned Morris. He does great work at very reasonable price. I suggest putting ivory diamonds or spears at the tip of the points (they're almost never even). I Uni-Loc pin and stainless steel joint (to forward the balance on the butt-heavy titlists) and leather wrap would be awesome. Ned does great leather wraps.
I am thinking heavily on having Ned make me another cue. <hr></blockquote>

CJ,

Thanks for the lead. In case I need him, could you forward his phone number to me? Thanks.

Val

Cueless Joey
08-27-2002, 03:44 PM
. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

CJ,

Thanks for the lead. In case I need him, could you forward his phone number to me? Thanks.

Val <hr></blockquote>
Yes. He's at 760-329-3224.
Ned is one of the most open-minded cuemakers I've met.
He'll build cues to your specs and design.