PDA

View Full Version : Open hand or closed?

MinnesotaSlim
02-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Just wondering the ratio of open hand bridge users vs. Closed. And why you think one is better than the other.

Just curious.

The Slim Man

02-27-2002, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MinnesotaSlim:</font><hr> Just wondering the ratio of open hand bridge users vs. Closed. And why you think one is better than the other.<hr></blockquote>

I actually use both methods depending on the shot. For object balls that are close to the cueball I use a closed bridge. For object balls that are far, say slightly more than half a table length, I'll use an open hand bridge. However, when I want to apply a LOT of english (extreme draw, follow or sides) I'll use a closed hand bridge regardless of the distance of the object ball.

02-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi Slim, I use the open bridge very little, I find I get better control with the closed bridge. Mikey

02-28-2002, 11:07 AM
I've found that on closed bridges I can get more english imparted to the ball but I lose some of my sight because my finger is in the way. For long shots were its necessary to look down the cue I almost always use an open bridge.

Kato
02-28-2002, 11:16 AM
Use them both, when playing very well I'm almost entirely open. When using lots of draw I'll play closed, follow open. Since I'm almost a total feel player it's never known how I'll play a particular shot until I get down on the ball. I guess my left hand is the only one that knows whats about to happen.

Kato~~~thinking maybe R.J. is a little weird.

Fred Agnir
02-28-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MinnesotaSlim:</font><hr> Just wondering the ratio of open hand bridge users vs. Closed. And why you think one is better than the other. <hr></blockquote>

I use both. Probably open more than closed. What I've noticed is that through the learning process, players will start with an open hand, switch to a closed hand, then once their stroke starts to stay straight, they re-incorporate the open hand. In other words, stable and confident use of the open hand is a sign of advancement.

A ratio should be, IMO, 1:1 for pool players. That is, every player should use both.

Fred

BrakenRun
02-28-2002, 07:07 PM
I tend to do a lot like Kato described. I use all sorts of variations during a game but it seems that if I am drawing the ball, I use a closed and if following the ball, use an open. Not always but this seems to be the case more so than not. A lot of times, you have to come up with some creative ways to bridge when you are on the rail also. I think most of it comes along in time and experience. Kevin

phil in sofla
02-28-2002, 10:28 PM
Mainly use a closed bridge, maybe 80-20 or so. I think.

With the success of snooker players using an open bridge at all times, at a difficult game, it doesn't seem to be inferior in any significant way, if you learn to use the technique in all situations. They even use an open bridge to stroke a 'deep screw' power draw. Most of us haven't worked enough with it to pull that off reliably.

A couple of shots I used to shoot open bridged I now loop a finger over-- rail shots in general, and jacked up on the rail shots in particular. It's a lot more secure feeling for me, and my accuracy seems a lot better that way.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-02-2002, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MinnesotaSlim:</font><hr> Just wondering the ratio of open hand bridge users vs. Closed. And why you think one is better than the other.Just curious. The Slim Man <hr></blockquote>

Fred Agnir has the most correct of all the replies. An open bridge is used more that the closed by the Pros and better pool players I have seen. Its not that it improves any aspect of the over all game, its just provides a better view of the shot after the execution. My opinion only..

The closed bridge is a useful choice because you can feel more of the action of the cue. And.. when faced with long draw shots, tightening the closed bridge can be a good tool for reminding yourself that you need to really stroke well.

03-03-2002, 08:29 AM
You must really be low over that cue for a closed bridge to block your view. I tried it myself and and I believe the cue would scrape my eyeball before I lost sight of the tip of my stick.

stickman
03-03-2002, 11:56 AM
I shoot primaily closed bridge. Probably, eightyfive percent of the time. Given a choice of drawing or following, I'll draw the ball. I feel more confident with the closed bridge shooting a draw shot. My high english shots need more work. A soft follow is no problem, but extreme follow is dificult for me. I use the open bridge when shooting over another ball or off the rail.

03-03-2002, 12:18 PM
When the cue ball is on the rail and your cue ball speed needs to take you two or more rails (not 100% of the time) close it up. On the break shot, close it up. Extended follow through on draw and follow, close it up. If you miss-cue on certain shots, close it up. If you need more feedback or have alot of squirt on a shot its good to close it up. You always have a choice, open keeps it simple. Like the pros, if your in line alot and close to your object ball you'll use the open alot more. The only time I use the closed bridge "always" is on the break. BF