PDA

View Full Version : Purchase handgun

eg8r
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
This past weekend I was invited to go to a gun range to shoot a pre-ban AR-15, and some hand guns. I am looking to get my concealed weapons permit and purchase a hand gun. I am not really looking to carry a gun around with me, I just want to go through the certification course. I am looking at a used Sig P228 and I was wondering if there are other comparable guns that you would recommend in place of the Sig. I am not "looking" for something else, just wanted to get an idea of what else is out there. I see a lot of Taurus guns but have not heard of them before.

One thing for sure, I couldn't hit the bullseye at 100 yards with the AR using the iron sights. Will a scope make much of a difference?

eg8r

LWW
08-11-2010, 03:01 AM
1 - I have a Sig P228 and it is a wonderful home defense piece.

2 - IMHO Sigs are the best premium handgun made. Not to say there aren't any others that are quality, but Sigs are accurate out of the box and phenomenally reliable.

3 - I don't use the P228 for carry due to it's size, for that I use a Sig P232 with Federal Hydra Shock ammo.

4 - With practice you should be able to hit the 10 ring on a 100 yard target, assuming the sites are properly alogned.

5 - A scope will make a big difference no matter how good or bad you are as long as it is properly aligned.

I hope that helps.

LWW

Sev
08-11-2010, 04:40 AM
The sig P228 is a fine choice both for comfortable shooting and home protection. As Larry said it is a large frame pistol so for carrying it can be a bit tricky to conceal.

Kimber is a great alternative to the sig. A bit more out of pocket but worth the price. Several models come with a laser integrated into the frame.

If you want to have some fun target shooting the old Hi-Standards are great. Very hard to beat. The model 103 or 104 Supermatic Citations are extremely accurate. Mine are circa 1958 and 1960.

If you are considering 100 yard shooting A Dan Wesson in 41 mag is a good choice.
Or a single shot Thomson. Wichita also makes a very impressive silhouette pistol. Either one are chambered in rifle cartridges.

eg8r
08-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the info. My father in law has a lot of guns and after holding a bunch of them the Sig felt the best. I don't really see myself carrying a gun around with me though. I just want to go through the course and get the info.

It was funny at how ridiculously different it was shooting a 9mm at 9 yds compared to the AR at 100. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I was quite accurate up close...thank goodness since I don't see sniping or hunting in my future. I just like going to the range and shooting guns.

eg8r

eg8r
08-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

Target shooting was definitely a good time. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot a bunch of different guns before I think about buying one.

I was sooo tempted to quickly raise the 9mm up sideways, talk like a gangsta and just shoot the heck out of the target but I am afraid my father in law's head would explode spontaneously. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It makes me crack up every time I think about it.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-11-2010, 07:31 AM
The Sig 228 is my everyday carry weapon. I used to lug the Colt .45 auto everywhere but for day-to-day this is much better.

It holds up to 15 rounds in the clip and with a nice shoulder holster, I carry two additional clips on the other side to balance out the load. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif In addition, I have a plastic tachtical holster as well as a pancake model for times when I am on my bike or want the weapon to ride higher on my hip.

The nice thing about the Sig, and of course some other fine handguns is it fires each and every time, without fail. You don't have to baby it and if you miss a cleaning, it is still very depandable. Not my first choice for firepower but it is accurate and ready every time. I have a choice of about 23 handguns so you know my selecting that one lets you know how I feel about it.

eg8r
08-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice. It seems a lot of people like it.

Thanks,

eg8r

LWW
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Sigs do have great ergonomics.

LWW

LWW
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Remind me to never pizz you off.

LWW

Sev
08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sig 228 is my everyday carry weapon. I used to lug the Colt .45 auto everywhere but for day-to-day this is much better.

It holds up to 15 rounds in the clip and with a nice shoulder holster, I carry two additional clips on the other side to balance out the load. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif In addition, I have a plastic tachtical holster as well as a pancake model for times when I am on my bike or want the weapon to ride higher on my hip.

The nice thing about the Sig, and of course some other fine handguns is it fires each and every time, without fail. You don't have to baby it and if you miss a cleaning, it is still very depandable. Not my first choice for firepower but it is accurate and ready every time. I have a choice of about 23 handguns so you know my selecting that one lets you know how I feel about it. </div></div>

You cant go wrong with any Sig.