PDA

View Full Version : Schmelke Cues

warped cue
08-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I bought one of their one piece Slinger cues. It was only 9 bucks plus shipping. Do not ever buy one!!! A 10.00 Walmart cue is much better! The shaft was rough & nothing could smooth it..600-1000 & 1500 grit sandpaper would not make it smooth. In fact it seemed to raise the grain on the Burmese maple shaft!!! I called them & in a nutshell the owner basically said..you buy a cheap cue & thats what you get! He did say send it in at your expense & we will credit you 9 bucks. I also told him the tip had a bad ping. He said, the cue is a an import & what did you expect? I said it does not reflect this on your website. And he went on about what do you expect from a 9 buck cue? I fired back, at least Walmart quaility! I am done with Schmelke smuck cues. What an eye opener this was!

cushioncrawler
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
But, every cue iz better than every other cue, for some shot, for someone.
Me, myself, i would experiment with that cue.
Remoov the ferrule.
Sand the shaft for a thinner tip.
Sand the shaft to remoov say 1/3rd of wood to make a long flat section say 12" long to giv more flex (direktional too).
Drill some holes near midpoint and/or end, and fill with solder, to change wt and balance.
There iz lots of opportunity here.
mac.

Bambu
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I agree with the owner. What did ya expect for 9 bucks? Walmart or Models quality won't get you anywhere anyway. You want a real cue, you gotta spend real money. You need at least $200 for a decent cue, or 300 and up for something special. Why bother with a cue that isnt any better than whats available for free where you play? Mac, you can't even buy the wood to make a
nice cue for 9 bucks. Lumber prices have gone up. Also, schmelke makes some very nice cues, just not the 9 dollar models(if those really exist).

LWW
08-13-2010, 03:48 AM
If you go to the Schmelke cue site they will tell you clearly that the "SLINGER" cue is merely distributed by Schmelke and is not made by them.

IMHO Schmelke are a very nice quasi custom 2 piece cue.

LWW

warped cue
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok... I agree with you guys. I told Schmelke to please check for straightness before they shipped it. They said on the invoice it was checked out to be straight. They lied..! I roll the cue on the table & the tip goes up & down. I roll it on the rail & the tip goes up & down. I am done with them. Even my 40 buck Players cue is straight as an arrow with the above tests. JMO

cushioncrawler
08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
It shoodnt be diffikult to straighten a bent cue.
I hav one at the moment that i am straightening -- tip end under a sofa and midbit over a rail of a chair and with a big book hanging over the butt.
My best cue had a tiny bend -- so i used to leev it under and over hanging by its own wt overnite most nites -- did the trick.

In the past i used to put an intentional bend in cues -- koz i played better with a bend -- but they went straight again in the long run.

If i were u i would try uzing that bent cue -- u might go well with it.
Try having the bend to the left.
And try having the bend to the right.
If left or right aint no good, just hav the bend down for skrew, and up for follow.
mac.

warped cue
08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I will try that. Thanks!

cushioncrawler
08-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I hav 4 usofa pool cues, 13mm, and i love the way they play.
Xcept that they hav a pro-taper, and i need conical.
My open Vee bridge leans right, and the conical taper takes the qtip a bit right. In reality, i sight and aim and stroke too much left, and the "bit right" aktually cancels out my natural "bit left" (if u see what i meen).

But a pro-taper takes the tip straight, despite my leaning bridge, and the qball allways haz left-spin unless i do something unnatural to prevent it (or just allow for it).

So, if u are uzing a loop-bridge, and if u want to try and see if a bent cue suits u better than a straight cue (ie bend left or bend right), then to get full value from the bend u might havta put a bit of pressure on the shaft by pushing left into the loop (for bend right), or pushing right (for bend left).

This pushing left or right will giv the same effekt az my "leaning" of my Vee bridge. But praps if u hav a tight loop u wont havta push left or right (i dont know much about loops).

Re my 13mm pool cues, nowadays when i uze them, i find i go well if i apply a bit of front-hand-pivot to the right, after aiming, before shooting, about half a tip.
If the cue were bent i probly would just hold the bend to the right, and just "shoot straight", without needing any pivot etc.
mac.

hondo
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go to the Schmelke cue site they will tell you clearly that the "SLINGER" cue is merely distributed by Schmelke and is not made by them.

IMHO Schmelke are a very nice quasi custom 2 piece cue.

LWW </div></div>

WADR, what is a "quasi custom cue"?
Schmelke makes a relatively cheap production cue
that's decent for the price, I guess.

LWW
08-21-2010, 02:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Random House Dictionary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quasi- 
a combining form meaning “resembling,” “having some, but not all of the features of,” used in the formation of compound words: quasi-definition; quasi-monopoly; quasi-official; quasi-scientific. </div></div>

Schmelke will build the same cue out of various woods, with a choice of tapers, shaft thickness, laminated vs non, different tips including their own, numerous joint styles, numerous pearl styles, and other customized features.

For a self proclaimed "ENGLISH TEACHER OF THE YEAR" you seem to be routinely confused by the meanings of several common words in the English language?

LWW

hondo
08-21-2010, 07:34 AM
So now you're dragging your personal insults to this side of the board?
Don't worry, folks. This will be my last response to
that dick on CCB.

I apologize to all of you for his boorish behavior.

JJFSTAR
08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
warped_cue you learned a very valuable life lesson and it only cost you $9; you came out way ahead. But just out of curiosity, what did you want to do with the $9 cue? Meaning what space did you want this to fill in your pool equipment?

warped cue
08-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I was just going to use it at the pool hall. Your right in that it was only 9 bucks. However, I won't trust this company any longer. They lost a customer forever.

hondo
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Perhaps if you had bought one of their "quasi-custom" cues?

Okay, guys, I'll leave it alone.
Couldn't resist one last shot at El Dub a Dub. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

warped cue
08-25-2010, 08:22 PM
[quote=hondo]Perhaps if you had bought one of their "quasi-custom" cues?
I read on another forum that they are only average cues at best. Read Players, Action, Viper etc. & save the bucks!

hondo
08-26-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm not surprised, WC.