PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching cues

USM_ITCboy
08-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Hey guys. It's been awhile since I've visited the forums much less posted anything but it's good to be back reading on pool after a little break. So I have a Mike Erwin (custom cue-maker in MS) cue now & I'm thinking of switching to a Joss. This is the 1 I'm thinking of getting: Joss JOS04 cue (http://www.ozonebilliards.com/josscues1.html). Can anyone (or everyone) tell me what they know of the Joss brand or even that exact cue & if it would be a worthy upgrade from a Mike Erwin if they are familiar with his work? Thanks guys!

Rich R.
08-16-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't remember the exact time table, but Dan Janes and Bill Stroud started Joss Cues in the late sixties. Eventually, the partnership split and Bill Stroud moved to the west coast and started Joss West. Somewhere along the line Tim Scruggs worked for Joss before leaving and starting his own business.
While Joss still makes a small number of custom cues, they have evolved primarily into one of the better production cue companies. They do make a high quality cue.

As with any other cue, the hit, feel and playability of a Joss cue is purely personal opinion so no one will be able to tell you if you will like it better than your current cue.

If you know someone with a Joss cue, ask if you can try it out. If not, you are taking a shot in the dark, as it would be to buy any other cue without trying it first. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I have done it several times and it has worked out for me.

Bambu
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Whats all this I hear about switching shoes? Don't you good people know how unsanitary that is? For heaven sake, you could be spreading germs around!

-Emily Litella, SNL 1976

warped cue
08-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Thats a good price on the Joss cue. I have two freinds that use Joss & they love em. Joss is a very good production cue. JMO

hondo
08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Joss is one of the very best production cues.
Erwin's cues are more customized.
I have heard that if you like a softer hit, Erwin makes a nice cue.
I think you will find Joss a little stiffer.