PDA

View Full Version : why are POOL Players DUMB?

08-27-2002, 11:45 PM
most of the better players at my pool room can play pool, but they can't keep a job. They are burger flippers one week, fence installers the next & unemployed soon after that. They are no more than predators for the $2-$10 matches they fabricate & next week they are broke & bumming cigarettes. There are not 3 of them that can spell or talk in an intelligent way, but they manage to trap a 5 Speed to play for $10 a game. I've witnessed them doing the Double-Double deal just to make 30-40 dollars. These players are not doing anybody favors, they are just scum-bag predators that use their semi-skills to make it to tomorrow.

Rod
08-28-2002, 01:32 AM
There are scum bags in every walk of life. Some pool players definately fit your description, but not all. People like that live day by day and it is not just pool players as you very well know. I'm not going to defend any of them, they are scum and have little talent other than hustling some innocent people. Of course you knew that before your post.
BTW there are living legends that fit your discription.

Rich R.
08-28-2002, 04:03 AM
I agree with Rod, there are scum bags in every area of your life. On another board, you may be asking why corporate executives have to lie to stockholders and cook the books. They are all part of the same group, just a higher tax bracket.
Rich R.

Doctor_D
08-28-2002, 05:06 AM
Good morning:

The individuals you have described exist in every walk of life and by no means are the exclusive property and/or domain of the local billiard room.

In my professional practice, on behalf of the client's for whom I work, I routine interview individuals for employment positions. If you think some of those you meet in billiards rooms are dumb and/or stupid, you should see the likes of some of the job applicants who walk through the door - unbelievable !!!

However, have you ever considered the possibility that some of what you are seeing is an act and/or fabrication to service the individual's own ends?

Dr. D.

Rich R.
08-28-2002, 05:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr>
However, have you ever considered the possibility that some of what you are seeing is an act and/or fabrication to service the individual's own ends?

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>
Very good point, Dr. D.
I believe that a pool player "acting" dumb, may be considered as part of the "hustle".
Rich R.~~~don't call him "Dumb" as he walks out with your cash.

NH_Steve
08-28-2002, 05:42 AM
You sound seriously confused in your analysis (being generous!) here. Not only are there smart players &amp; dumb players, there are scumbags and honorable people in all walks of life -- including pool. Look at all the possible combinations:

Smart &amp; honest /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Smart scumbag
Dumb but honest
Dumb scumbag

I bet you can attach a face to all of them -- whether in your poolroom, your workplace, even your own family. Try differentiating -- and I've got one clue regarding pool players: One pocket players tend to be smart (but no garuantees on the scumbag part!) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cheesemouse
08-28-2002, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> most of the better players at my pool room can play pool, but they can't keep a job. They are burger flippers one week, fence installers the next &amp; unemployed soon after that. They are no more than predators for the $2-$10 matches they fabricate &amp; next week they are broke &amp; bumming cigarettes. There are not 3 of them that can spell or talk in an intelligent way, but they manage to trap a 5 Speed to play for $10 a game. I've witnessed them doing the Double-Double deal just to make 30-40 dollars. These players are not doing anybody favors, they are just scum-bag predators that use their semi-skills to make it to tomorrow. <hr></blockquote>
Anon,
These people are placed on earth to test your own intelligence...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-28-2002, 05:49 AM
Maybe you hang out at the wrong place.

08-28-2002, 08:15 AM

08-28-2002, 08:20 AM

cuechick
08-28-2002, 08:28 AM
I have to agree, kickshot. Where you play may make a diffrence. I play in a room that does not encourage open gambling nor people just hanging around, casuing trouble. Which is why I like it. On the other hand, there is a lower end room where nothing is discouraged so these 'types' hang out there. I heard they even allowed one homeless hustler to sleep in a back room until he stole from them!
Yes, there are 'bums' in every walk of life. Especially when there is gambling involved. People are always looking for an 'easier, softer way'...gambling being an addiction, attracts addicts.
I'd say find a better pool hall.

Lester
08-28-2002, 08:31 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Whitewolf, remember most hustles work because of the victim's own greed. If the victim thinks he will get a payday, he is susceptable. Poolhalls are just a small sample of our culture as a whole. There are some good people in poolhalls as well. But Church, it ain't. ***Lester***

Q-guy
08-28-2002, 08:48 AM
As compared to what? You deal with the same kind of people every day out in the world. There are few real professionals today. That person handling your file at the doctors office in a white coat, last week may have been a cashier at the super market. Or your friendly Mechanic may be out to screw you, or insurance agent recommends the policy where he makes the best commission rather then what is best for you. The biggest difference is the bums in the pool room don't wear disguise. You need to be cautious in every thing you do, not just in the pool room.
I will give you what I believe is a pretty accurate answer though regarding poolroom bums.
1. They are lazy. They would never be willing to do what others they are jealous of, have done to have what they have.
2. They have no feelings for others. It does not bother them to hurt someone.
3. They have little self respect. They don't even care what people think of them.
4. They are selfish. They put their needs ahead of everyone's else's.
If you look at the little list I have made, and I am sure you could add to it. These people share the same character traits found in most criminals. You will also notice they often make the step from pool hall bum, to committing real crimes. It is their nature. I don't think they are as benign as some may think.

08-28-2002, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

most of the better players at my pool room can play pool, but they can't keep a job. They are burger flippers one week, fence installers the next &amp; unemployed soon after that. They are no more than predators for the $2-$10 matches they fabricate &amp; next week they are broke &amp; bumming cigarettes. There are not 3 of them that can spell or talk in an intelligent way, but they manage to trap a 5 Speed to play for $10 a game. I've witnessed them doing the Double-Double deal just to make 30-40 dollars. These players are not doing anybody favors, they are just scum-bag predators that use their semi-skills to make it to tomorrow.

<hr></blockquote>

I would guess they're broke to begin with if all they want to bet is $2-$10 (as opposed to being broke "next week"). I don't think that the ability to hold a job reflects intelligence. If you work in the corporate world, you, do doubt, have encountered middle-managers who have been in their position for years. Not to stereotype, but I wouldn't call many of these people smart, bright, sharp, or anything else synonymous with "intelligent". In many cases, the ability to hold a job requires the willingness to kiss a certain amount of a$$, and to work as a mindless zombie, doing whatever you're told without offering any of your own input. Basically, it takes the ability to conform. Most good players grew up hanging out in the pool room, which isn't the most "conforming" place around, so it is no wonder that they grow up to be non-conformists and have trouble with things like keeping a job. Next, the ability to speak and spell are aquired skills. Don't confuse education with intelligence. As I said, many good players grew up hanging out in the pool room, and not at school (I know I spent as little time at school as possible and as much time in the pool room as possible). It sounds like you're just jealous because you're not a very good player, and probably want to be (trust me, ALL of us, no matter how good we are, would like to be better, so don't bother saying otherwise). Lastly, I've been around pool since I was 12 years old, and I have NEVER heard of "the Double-Double deal". What the hell are you talking about?

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> most of the better players at my pool room can play pool, but they can't keep a job. They are burger flippers one week, fence installers the next &amp; unemployed soon after that. They are no more than predators for the $2-$10 matches they fabricate &amp; next week they are broke &amp; bumming cigarettes. There are not 3 of them that can spell or talk in an intelligent way, but they manage to trap a 5 Speed to play for $10 a game. I've witnessed them doing the Double-Double deal just to make 30-40 dollars. These players are not doing anybody favors, they are just scum-bag predators that use their semi-skills to make it to tomorrow. <hr></blockquote>

i do not think playing pool at a certain level has anything to do with IQ or success in a profession. i do think that for a player to progress past a certain level, where the mental game comes into play does require intelligence and creativity.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> As compared to what? You deal with the same kind of people every day out in the world. There are few real professionals today. That person handling your file at the doctors office in a white coat, last week may have been a cashier at the super market. Or your friendly Mechanic may be out to screw you, or insurance agent recommends the policy where he makes the best commission rather then what is best for you. The biggest difference is the bums in the pool room don't wear disguise. You need to be cautious in every thing you do, not just in the pool room.
I will give you what I believe is a pretty accurate answer though regarding poolroom bums.
1. They are lazy. They would never be willing to do what others they are jealous of, have done to have what they have.
2. They have no feelings for others. It does not bother them to hurt someone.
3. They have little self respect. They don't even care what people think of them.
4. They are selfish. They put their needs ahead of everyone's else's.
If you look at the little list I have made, and I am sure you could add to it. These people share the same character traits found in most criminals. You will also notice they often make the step from pool hall bum, to committing real crimes. It is their nature. I don't think they are as benign as some may think.
<hr></blockquote>

unfortunately, this little list would apply to half the human race, if not more.

bluewolf

08-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Is it possible that you may have just lost to one of those "dumb" yet, NOT SO DUMB scumbags you talk about, and now you're "taking the heat"? Just thought I might throw that up in the air. No facts, just possibility.

Question...If you hate "those people", why hang around them?

Snooky

MikeM
08-28-2002, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimmyTheD:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;If you work in the corporate world, you, do doubt, have encountered middle-managers who have been in their position for years. Not to stereotype, but I wouldn't call many of these people smart, bright, sharp, or anything else synonymous with "intelligent". In many cases, the ability to hold a job requires the willingness to kiss a certain amount of a$$, and to work as a mindless zombie, doing whatever you're told without offering any of your own input. Basically, it takes the ability to conform. <hr></blockquote>

Gee, thanks for not stereotyping /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

MM

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 11:16 AM
while we are on this subject:some people have been playing pool for awhile and are well educated like engineers,etc. yet these same people cannot think three balls ahead, when they should play safe,the order of balls to pocket in order to end up on the correct position of the eight. Why is this that some people never get it, even if they have played a long time and appear to be reasonably intelligent?

bluewolf

08-28-2002, 11:47 AM
It really is sad that the ability to CONFORM is more important than the ability to PERFORM in the corporate world. I'm desperately trying to find a way out (other than unemployment /webbbs/images/icons/wink.gif).

08-28-2002, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Pool halls are a play where one can legally steal from unsuspecting soles. The 'poor' folks hang around here because there is no better place to steal.

<hr></blockquote>

You guys crack me up, really! Gambling is a choice. If you don't want to lose any money, as Nancy Reagan would say, "Just say no!". Either quit gambling, or practice and get better ... two very simple solutions. As far as the pool hall being a place where "one can legally steal from unsuspecting souls", that is horse $hit! Like I said, don't gamble. What your local car dealership does ... now THAT is truly stealing from unsuspecting souls. Go critisize them instead.

Jay M
08-28-2002, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

The individuals you have described exist in every walk of life and by no means are the exclusive property and/or domain of the local billiard room.

In my professional practice, on behalf of the client's for whom I work, I routine interview individuals for employment positions. If you think some of those you meet in billiards rooms are dumb and/or stupid, you should see the likes of some of the job applicants who walk through the door - unbelievable !!!
Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

http://www.resumania.com/fameindex.html

Jay M

Jay M
08-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Just in fun, no offense meant

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Pool halls are a play where one can legally steal from unsuspecting soles.
<hr></blockquote>

They should rename this major theatre event "The Sneak(er) Thief" or "Theft of a Shoe Salesman" and have it on broadway /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Jay M

MikeM
08-28-2002, 01:25 PM
VEGAS BABY!

MM...though I lost my ass this past weekend /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

08-28-2002, 03:36 PM
You sure move in the hip circles. Play in a decent room. One of the entertaining things about pool is that you can strike up games and friendships with all sorts, from the ticket-scalper/gambler/card-shark that carries a knife in a back-belt to brokers, lawyers, you name it.

Try a decent room like Amsterdam Billiards. You'll find good players who are bankers, business people, teachers, classical guitarists, dancers, chefs. You can find good rooms all over the place, but you may not be lucky enough to have them within a few blocks.

One look at a pool hall, cues, tables and cloth is usually enough to tell you what kind of clientele they keep. If you can't find a decent crowd, and it's really that important, maybe it's your zip code you're not happy with.

HOWARD
08-28-2002, 03:57 PM
ANON, MAKING JUDGEMENTS ARE YOU ? - THEN JUDGE ALL INCLUDING YOUR OWN ACTIONS. PERHAPS YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING - BUT I HAVE A LARGE DOUBT - SOMETHING ABOUT MOTES IN YOUR POOL ROOMS GUYS EYE AND LOGS IN YOUR OWN EYE. HOWARD

Rod
08-28-2002, 04:26 PM
I think that is a good question Bluewolf. I sure don't have any exact answer. I think it is just a mind for pool. Education or lack of it, degrees, etc certainly has no bearing on how well you play pool. Over the years I have always studied c/b and object ball reactions along with a certain type of stroke, speed, spin etc and how much ball is hit. Some people see what happens but never fully understand why. Some analize shots but come up with the wrong answer. It is the little adjustments of these reactions that make good players IMO. I think eye hand cordination is a good asset. I don't want to get indepth, some get it and others don't. There are of course degrees as to how much they get it. Hence the different levels of players.

Just as a small example, I know players above or well above average. If I have them shoot a ball frozen on the rail to a pocket, some of them could not tell me if they hit the ball first or the rail first. The shot comes up almost every game. You really have to be a student of the game and learn from "every" reaction. Then they might get it.

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Doctor_D:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Good morning:

Dr. D.
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.resumania.com/fameindex.html>http://www.resumania.com/fameindex.html</a>

right on.dummies and smarties in every walk of life! and in every profession

bluewolf

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

Vapros
08-28-2002, 08:50 PM
I've read a lot of these posts, and there's one obvious angle I have not seen mentioned. Let's face it, many pool rooms have some undesirable regulars - pretty damn' regular, too. I don't think I would have used the word 'dumb', but I guess it would apply to a lot of them.

These people you describe; the ones that don't work or don't work steady, or don't have to work, where are they going to spend their time? The mall? The church? The health club? The library? Be realistic. A bunch of them will hang out at the poolroom. It happens all over. Some are already players, some learn to play, and some never become players - but they're still regulars at the pool room.

We may, or may not like it, but we'd better expect it. The proprietor of the room determines what is, and what is not, permitted in his own joint.

DEADSTOKE32
08-29-2002, 12:16 PM
AND YOU FEEL YOUR A BETTER PERSON .BECAUSE YOU COME ON HERE AND RIP ON SOME POOL PLAYERS IN YOUR TOWN.HAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T GO.GO TAKE LONG WALKS TO THE MOON.AND LOOK FOR A NEW LIFE.