PDA

View Full Version : Attention all WPBA Players

Fran Crimi
08-28-2002, 09:21 AM
If you play on a WPBA Regional tour or have played in WPBA tour events, you are requested to go to:

http://www.azbilliards.com/petition.cfm

This is NOT the poll that AZ is showing on their home page. This is a separate vote for WPBA players only. Please cast your vote to either return to the former WPBA bracket chart or to keep the present chart. The results of this vote (not authorized by the WPBA Board of Directors) will be presented to them on or before the Albuquqerque event.

Please vote and have your voice heard and pass the word around.

Fran

08-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Hi Fran. I'm assuming the name/email fields are there to verify participation is only from the WPBA or Regional Tours? Or will the presentation made to the Board in Albuquerque include the names attached to the votes?

- Steve

Fran Crimi
08-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Steve, the vote presented to the WPBA Board will include the names attached to the votes. The e-mail addresses will be used only if verification of votes is needed and will not be presented with the results.

Also, the results of the vote will be announced to the public, but all names and e-mail addresses will be excluded.

The reason for the vote is to gather the sentiment of all WPBA players. This is difficult to do without a central location for all players to reach, and Mike Howerton, and AZ Billiards, acting as an independent party, will compile the votes.

Fran

Doctor_D
08-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Good afternoon:

My vote is in ...

Dr. D.

PastPrime
08-29-2002, 10:03 AM
May I suggest a change of venue to Santa Fe...nobody can spell Albuquerque!

Fran Crimi
08-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks for bringing the thread back up to the front page.

I can spell it. I've spelled it about 40 times when I was searching for airling flights on the web. It was just a typo.

Fran

Fran Crimi
08-29-2002, 10:08 AM
See... I did it again. It's not that I can't spell 'airline.' I just type fast when I'm very busy.

Fran

Doctor_D
08-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Good morning:

Good News!!!

Fran is no longer a Stranger, having earned her Newbie status !!!

Congratulations Fran!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Fran Crimi
08-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Diana, by the looks of this CCB lately, I'm quite embarassed to have accomplished that.

Fran

08-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Fran, wouldn't it be so cool if even before the board has a chance to consider making a ruling at the upcoming US Open in Albuquerque in regards to the byes, the top 16 seeds got together on Wednesday evening in a private meeting and voted that thanks, but they don't wish to participate in a "handicapped" tournament in which they (the seeded players) are starting the tournament 2 rounds deeper in to the winner's bracket than half of the field? And yes, maybe they should have to win at least 1 out of 2 matches against 2 unseeded players in order to justify earning their entry fee back. That would show so much class, be so cool and IMO go a long ways towards mending the divisions among the plaeyrs that currently exist and jump-start the WPBA tour back on the right track.

What are the chances of it happening IMO? About the same chance as an unseeded player winning 8 straight matches (as opposed to 6 for a seeded player) to win the tournament undefeated. Even if these top 16 had the class (and the pride in their games) to make such a united statement, this current make-up of board members would likely reject it anyway and abide by their previous decision. Personally, I can't wait till Albuquerque to hear about what happens behind closed doors! - Chris in NC

Doctor_D
08-30-2002, 05:11 AM
Good morning:

Reminder!!!

All members of the WPBA, inclusive of Regional Tour Competitors, should respond to this petition request and make your voices heard.

This peition addresses the issue of returning to the previous 64 player double elimination chart with a random draw vs. the "New" chart which gives the Top 16 players a Double Bye and the 17th to 34th players a Single bye.

Several threads on this Board have addressed this topic, inclusive of one from a few weeks ago where someone posted the entire letter issued by the WPBA.

Regardless of your position on this matter, For or Against, make your opinion heard.

Dr. D.

jjinfla
08-30-2002, 06:36 AM
A valiant attempt Fran but in reality it is just an exercize in futility. It is apparent that the WPBA BOD is only interested in a survey of a "select" 50 members, and only if they agree with the BOD.

But the results should prove interesting. It might even show that the membership is behind the WPBA after all. Or if very few members respond to the poll it might indicate that the members really do not care one way or the other.

Hope you will post the results whatever they show. Jake

Fran Crimi
08-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Jake, this vote is not an "attempt" to do anything specific other than let the WPBA Board of Directors know how the membership feels about the new chart. I saw a post on the AZ message board that said I am attempting to overthrow the old chart. It's only fair that the first step is to see how the players really feel. Perhaps more players are accepting of the chart than we think. I suspect not, but we won't know until the numbers are finalized. There will always be disagreements, and the only way to begin to solve them is to see where everyone stands. Once the numbers are in, we will see where we stand and take it from there.

I've noticed that your posts are of the doom and gloom type. Conflict is part of life, and conflict doesn't always mean that terrible things are going to happen or that the situation is forever hopeless.

Fran

08-30-2002, 08:22 AM
Fran, I think it's a bad idea to require the names of the WPBA member players to be attached to the votes. If that's the case, some of these members may be reluctant (and possibly rightfully so) to vote against the current bye policy and to have their name in opposition of the board's decision. They don't want to possibly be discriminated against by the board (possibly to the detriment of their chances of making it on the tour) in any future way down the road.

IMO, in order to get more participation from the members and more accurate results of how they feel on this issue, the casting of their votes should be anonymous. Much like if there is a specially called meeting of the membership in Albuquerque on this issue, if there is a vote held among the members surely it will be done by ballot (without requiring a name attached) rather than by a show of hands - for the very same reasons. Don't underestimate how many of these young players apparently feel intimidated by this board, and don't wish to get on their bad side. Does this not make sense? - Chris in NC

Fran Crimi
08-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Chris, I'd agree with you if this was an election. However this may turn out to be a petition, and if it does, there must be a list of names. If a player is fearful of stating their opinion, then they shouldn't. But I haven't come across one player who is afraid to say what they feel and put their name behind it.

Fran

Doctor_D
08-30-2002, 08:33 AM
Good morning:

Chris, you bring up and excellent and viable point. Any survey, or election for that matter, should be conducted and managed by an 'Independent" Third (3rd) party as outlined in "Robert's Rules of Order". Failure to do so will leave the outcome subject to question as to validity and credibility!

Dr. D.