PDA

View Full Version : GDP Still Growing/ No Double Dip Predicted

Gayle in MD
08-24-2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/double-dip-recession-yield-curve-no/19603878/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> While it's certainly popular to say the U.S. economy is heading toward a double-dip recession, the simple reality is that we're still in the first one that started in December 2007, as I told Portuguese economics blog Janela na web (Window on the Web) in an interview in June. That's because the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), which officially declares the beginnings and ends of recessions, says that the job losses that started in December 2007 are still with us.

Still, I can understand what most people are referring to when they talk about a double dip. We've had positive GDP growth since the fourth quarter of 2009, and the fear is that this growth will turn negative.

But the yield curve -- the interest rates paid on different durations of Treasury bonds -- is sloped upwards so much that the chances of such a double-dip recession are a mere 15.5%, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.

How The Yield Curve Predicts The Economy

See full article from DailyFinance: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/invest...phere_copyright (http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/double-dip-recession-yield-curve-no/19603878/?icid=sphere_copyright)
</div></div>

Sev
08-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Yah. 1.14% growth. WOW!!! Its a real boom time!!!!

Bets on that being adjusted down???

Deeman3
08-24-2010, 08:51 AM
This is/was the Summer of Recovery. How does it feel? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
08-24-2010, 09:07 AM
The summer of recovery will probably turn into the year of recovery....and when that doesn't happen, it will become the 4 year term of recovery....and when that doesn't happen, we should all blame Bush!

Steve

eg8r
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it's certainly popular to say the U.S. economy is heading toward a double-dip recession, the simple reality is that we're still in the first one that started in December 2007</div></div>You flip flop more than John Kerry. One day we are in, next we are out, then we are in, then people are quitting their jobs because we are out. Can you make up your mind?

eg8r

pooltchr
08-24-2010, 10:13 AM
It's confusing when your party leaders keep changing their story.

Healthcare will save money.....oops,,,don't say that any more...say it will improve healthcare.

Passing stimulus will keep unemployment at 8%
oops...we need more stimulus spending.

Obama is our savior. He can fix the economy.
oops...it's worse than we thought, so it's Bush's fault.

and on and on. They lie, screw things up, and then change their story to try and cover their butts!

If the leadership can't figure it out, how can you expect their sheep to figure it out?

Steve

llotter
08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
As an economist myself, I am still predicting a Dow below 5000 and it may take quite a while to get there.

Sev
08-24-2010, 11:47 AM
A real panic in the market after 2:30 PM could get us half way there in a matter of minutes. They cant even shut it down at that point in the day. They have to ride it out.

Chopstick
08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I disagree with the fundamental premise of that article. For one thing:

Daily Treasury Yield Curve Rates (http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domestic-finance/debt-management/interest-rate/yield.shtml)

I cannot paste the table here but if you look at the 2yr and 10yr rates that this article is referring to, that is not an ascending yield curve. It is descending. Sure you can cherry pick another time to compare it to and say, see, this looks good. It's higher than it was then. Nonsense.

The other thing is that there is a "Bond Bubble" forming forcing bond prices up. The rule in the bond world is that when interest rates rise, bond prices fall. When the Fed raises rates, and they will, it is going to pop that bubble and people will lose trillions again.

One more thing about bonds. When a company declares bankruptcy, like GM, the secured bond holders have first claim on all of the companies assets. That is the law. In GM's case, Obama stepped in and took GM away from the secured bond holders and gave it to the unions, which is not only a violation of the law, it is a violation of the constitution (depriving a person of rightfully owned property without due process of law).

This as much as anything has the bond market freaked out. The lawsuits over what Obama has done will go on for decades and will probably not be settled within our lifetimes.

So, in answer to the double dip recession, probably not. It will be a full blown depression. It is also likely that it will end in a world war just like that last one did.

Time frame: 4 years. Look for the dollar to be replaced as the reserve currency and the standard currency for oil transactions. When you see that, the fuse is burning.

Gayle in MD
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter Cohan
View all Articles
Financial ColumnistPeter Cohan is a columnist for DailyFinance. He is president of Peter S. Cohan & Associates, a management consulting and venture capital firm. His ninth book, co-authored with Professor U. Srinivasa Rangan, is Capital Rising: How Global Capital Flows are Changing Business Systems All Over the World. The Achiever Newsletter ranked his eighth book, You Can't Order Change: Lessons from Jim McNerney's turnaround at Boeing, as the #1 business book of 2009. He teaches business strategy to undergraduate and MBA students at Babson College and has also taught at Stanford, MIT, Columbia, and the University of Hong Kong. He has appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America," CNBC, CNN, Fox Business News and the Boston ABC and CBS affiliates. He has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg News, Time, Newsweek, Fortune, and Business Week.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/invest...phere_copyright (http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/double-dip-recession-yield-curve-no/19603878/?icid=sphere_copyright)
</div></div>

Guess I shoulda known the guy didn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chopstick
08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter Cohan
View all Articles
Financial ColumnistPeter Cohan is a columnist for DailyFinance. He is president of Peter S. Cohan & Associates, a management consulting and venture capital firm. His ninth book, co-authored with Professor U. Srinivasa Rangan, is Capital Rising: How Global Capital Flows are Changing Business Systems All Over the World. The Achiever Newsletter ranked his eighth book, You Can't Order Change: Lessons from Jim McNerney's turnaround at Boeing, as the #1 business book of 2009. He teaches business strategy to undergraduate and MBA students at Babson College and has also taught at Stanford, MIT, Columbia, and the University of Hong Kong. He has appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America," CNBC, CNN, Fox Business News and the Boston ABC and CBS affiliates. He has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg News, Time, Newsweek, Fortune, and Business Week.

</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I don't really care what his creds say. I don't need him to tell me how to read a yield curve. He's blowin smoke to sell magazines.

LWW
08-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Dearie ... according to you we are already in a double dip recession.

Remember ... you blamed the first one on Bush, then declared it over because of Obama, and then as early as today blamed the second dip on Bush.

LWW

bobroberts
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
[/quote]

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif [/quote]

Well then why do you continue to copy and paste articles.
You believe anything thats thrown at you that you are like minded of.
Now wake up to what is going on in the country. This president sucks. Bush wasn't much better but maybe the next one will be good if we can vote for an independent.

hondo
08-24-2010, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif [/quote]

Now wake up to what is going on in the country. This president sucks. Bush wasn't much better but maybe the next one will be good if we can vote for an independent. [/quote]

LWW constantly cuts and pastes.
That's all Lamas does is cut and paste.
How about unbiased critiqing?

LWW
08-25-2010, 01:39 AM
What you miss is that I actually read and comprehend what I post and then add my own commentary.

You also ignore that I have on numerous occasions read the C & P's of G and Q and had to explain to them that it didn't say what they assumed that it had said.

LWW

hondo
08-25-2010, 06:38 AM
I HAVE seen you try to explain to them that it didn't say what it actually said.

LWW
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
How about an example?

What's that?

You don't have one?

I already knew that.

LWW

eg8r
08-25-2010, 12:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWW constantly cuts and pastes.
</div></div>Why refer to someone who never posts here. You could have easily mentioned qtip. He is our google whore.

eg8r

LAMas
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWW constantly cuts and pastes.
</div></div>Why refer to someone who never posts here. You could have easily mentioned qtip. He is our google whore.

eg8r </div></div>

Here's some tips on the art of C & P. I am still working and don't have the time to express and edit any original thoughts - they would be platitudes like everything else anyway.

http://tips4pc.com/articles/video%20tutorial/video_tutorial_on_how_to_cut.htm

hondo
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Eg, most on here are aware of what goes on on both forums, and , anyway, Lamas posts over here.
Calm down.

hondo
08-25-2010, 04:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWW constantly cuts and pastes.
</div></div>Why refer to someone who never posts here.

eg8r </div></div>

LAMas

Joined '07. 178 posts. And he apparently has a member which surprised me.

bobroberts
08-25-2010, 05:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Now wake up to what is going on in the country. This president sucks. Bush wasn't much better but maybe the next one will be good if we can vote for an independent. [/quote]

LWW constantly cuts and pastes.
How about unbiased critiqing? [/quote]

LWW and lamas both explained themselves without my help. Why couldn't Gayle? Why do you feel the need to stick up for her? You know as well a I that at least you have your own thoughts even if we sometimes disagree at least we both express ourselves instead of using others words without any understanding of what they say.
Unfortunately i can't say the same for Gayle.

Qtec
08-25-2010, 08:08 PM

eg8r </div></div>

And you are the resident CCB Bitch who loves to be smacked down.

Q

hondo
08-25-2010, 08:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWW constantly cuts and pastes.

eg8r </div></div>

Q </div></div>

Eg, he does make a very good point here.

Qtec
08-25-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL

Q /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
08-26-2010, 02:55 AM
How's that list of examples going?

LWW

eg8r
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
When has that ever happened?

eg8r

eg8r
08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
I never said he was not a member. When was the last time he posted, and what is his frequency? Come on, are you really going to be this foolishly trivial? Is that what your retirement has turned into?

eg8r

eg8r
08-26-2010, 08:14 AM
If they are then why your incessant posts about what is going on over there? YOu have stated more than one that this board went down hill when you invited your friends from over there, but the apologies are not sincere at all. You continue to try and draw that board over here more and more.

eg8r

hondo
08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Unable to respond. Sorry.

hondo
08-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Can't respond.

Sev
08-26-2010, 05:40 PM
??????????????????

hondo
08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">?????????????????? </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Sev
08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAAHHA!!! Good one.

pooltchr
08-26-2010, 07:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't respond. </div></div>

One of your more intelligent posts!

You seem to be making some progress.

Congratulations. Keep it up!

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-26-2010, 07:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWW constantly cuts and pastes.

eg8r </div></div>

Q </div></div>

Eg, he does make a very good point here. </div></div>

Good point, Hondo. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

hondo
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Don't congratulate me. You've beaten me down.
You continue to make smarmy remark after smarmy remark to me
and threaten to run to the mod when I respond.

I've run into some real ****** over the years but you and LWW have to rank near the top.

You must be real proud.

hondo
08-26-2010, 08:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't respond. </div></div>

One of your more intelligent posts!

You seem to be making some progress.

Congratulations. Keep it up!

Steve </div></div>

"Unlike a certain hillbilly we all know?????????????

BACK THE F*** OFF,

I have no interest in playing your childish games.

You are not intelligent enough to be worth the effort.

Go play in your sandbox

Or are you looking to get banned from yet another forum?"

Steve

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/double-dip-recession-yield-curve-no/19603878/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> While it's certainly popular to say the U.S. economy is heading toward a double-dip recession, the simple reality is that we're still in the first one that started in December 2007, as I told Portuguese economics blog Janela na web (Window on the Web) in an interview in June. That's because the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), which officially declares the beginnings and ends of recessions, says that the job losses that started in December 2007 are still with us.

Still, I can understand what most people are referring to when they talk about a double dip. We've had positive GDP growth since the fourth quarter of 2009, and the fear is that this growth will turn negative.

But the yield curve -- the interest rates paid on different durations of Treasury bonds -- is sloped upwards so much that the chances of such a double-dip recession are a mere 15.5%, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.

</div></div> </div></div>

Someone is, without any doubt, one, or all of the following; totally delusional, completely unknowledgeable, or an extremely dedicated follower than can never renounce their leader.

In either instance, their opinion, IMO, is worthless.

j

Gayle in MD
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing-basics/double-dip-recession-yield-curve-no/19603878/

</div></div> </div></div>

Someone is, without any doubt, one, or all of the following; totally delusional, completely unknowledgeable, or an extremely g.dedicated follower than can never renounce their leader.

j </div></div>

Are you aiming that at me, or at the author?

hondo
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I believe he is referring to the author.
From what I remember of Jimmy G. he is a Libertarian,
who has become more and more disgusted with Obama and company, but I don't believe he goes for the cheap shots like Larry and Steve.

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.
who has become more and more disgusted with Obama and company, but I don't believe he goes for the cheap shots like Larry and Steve. </div></div>

Hi Hondo, thanks for the intro. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Actually, I was referring to the original poster. To post "boilerplate" dribble in support of a position that the OP obviously has no knowledge of is transparently ludicrous.

J

hondo
08-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Actually, I have read a number of commentaries from credible sources agreeing with the author of Gayle's post.
I tend to agree with you on this one, but I feel she was sincere
in posting that opinion and not deserving of derision.

Gayle in MD
08-26-2010, 09:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.
who has become more and more disgusted with Obama and company, but I don't believe he goes for the cheap shots like Larry and Steve. </div></div>

Actually, I was referring to the original poster. To post "boilerplate" dribble in support of a position that the OP obviously has no knowledge of is transparently ludicrous.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

You post your way, and I'll post my way. Obviously, you're just angry over an author having an opinion which does not support yours, and then bashing me for posting it.

Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?

Go dig up all the bad news you can find, and post it here. You can post whatever you like, just as I can.

The fact is, quite a number of economists are admitting that even they did not think the Bush Recession was as bad as it turned out to be. Econoomists from both he right, and the left.

Why, I don't know, because Bush and Paulson both said we were on the brink of what could be a decade long depression, and at that time, many respected economists were writing that this recovery would be long, and slow.

That was long before President Obama was even sworn in.

Now perhaps, you, like some people, think that our country would have been better off with loads of teachers, police and firemen, all out of work.

Or maybe, you suppport the Republicans, who bashed the hell out of Obama for passing on stimulus money to states, and then took the money and went home to show up for the ribbon cutting ceremonies, looking the the heroes, but I see that differently, obviously.

I notice, Republicans have no ideas of their own, about how to stimulate the economy, without spending money, or how to bring down the deficit, without increasing taxes, I'm sure our views are quite different about those issues.

I am of the opinion, as many of our top economists are, that the Republican Policies, from Reagan's Amnesty, straight through to Bush waging two wars, while cutting taxes, and borrowing money, more than all previous administrations, combined, and growing the federal government, while spending like there was no tomorrow, and failing to address the growing real Estate Bubble, which he had plently of warning about, that Bush dug us into a ditch, and a far deeper ditch that many realized.

Your welcome to advance your own opinions, but you don't get to dictate what others can write about, or link, on this forum. Attack facts, not other posters.

G.

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yah. 1.14% growth. WOW!!! Its a real boom time!!!!

Bets on that being adjusted down??? </div></div>

Especially when one considers that trillions of wasted and borrowed dollars contributed 5.4% to the GDP numbers. Do the math.

J

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

You post your way, and I'll post my way. Obviously, you're just angry over an author having an opinion which does not support yours, and then bashing me for posting it.

Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?

Go dig up all the bad news you can find, and post it here. You can post whatever you like, just as I can.

The fact is, quite a number of economists are admitting that even they did not think the Bush Recession was as bad as it turned out to be. Econoomists from both he right, and the left.

Why, I don't know, because Bush and Paulson both said we were on the brink of what could be a decade long depression, and at that time, many respected economists were writing that this recovery would be long, and slow.

Now perhaps, you, like some people, think that our country would have been better off with loads of teachers, police and firemen, all out of work.

Or maybe, you suppport the Republicans, who bashed the hell out of Obama for passing on stimulus money to states, and then took the money and went home to show up for the ribbon cutting ceremonies, looking the the heroes, but I see that differently, obviously.

I notice, Republicans have no ideas of their own, about how to stimulate the economy, without spending money, or how to bring down the deficit, without increasing taxes, I'm sure our views are quite different about those issues.

I am of the opinion, as many of our top economists are, that the Republican Policies, from Reagan's Amnesty, straight through to Bush waging two wars, while cutting taxes, and borrowing money, more than all previous administrations, combined, and growing the federal government, while spending like there was no tomorrow, and failing to address the growing real Estate Bubble, which he had plently of warning about, that Bush dug us into a ditch, and a far deeper ditch that many realized.

Your welcome to advance your own opinions, but you don't get to dictate what others can write about, or link, on this forum. Attack facts, not other posters.

G.
</div></div>

You can go off topic as far, and as often, as you like. That doesn't change the fact that your posting of inaccurate and irrational economic opinions in order to support your political agenda, makes you appear to be an unknowledgeable, cheerleading, political fanatic. IMO

I am, in no way, attempting to dictate anyone's postings. But I am also free to post a rebuttal. Am I not?

J

Gayle in MD
08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

G.
</div></div>

You can go off topic as far, and as often, as you like. That doesn't change the fact that your posting of inaccurate and irrational economic opinions in order to support your political agenda, makes you appear to be an unknowledgeable, cheerleading, political fanatic. IMO

I am, in no way, attempting to dictate anyone's postings. But I am also free to post a rebuttal. Am I not?

J </div></div>
You didn't post a rebuttal, you posted a personal attack, against me.

Look, you are welcome to debate the views of the author. You are not welcome to attack me, personally.

You are the one who took things off topic, and turned the discussion into a personal attack.

I post a range of views, written by people from the right, and the left. Economist don't all agree with one another, but IMO, intelligent, well adjusted people do not attack people they don't even know, because they post information on a forum.

G.

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 10:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

Look, you are welcome to debate the views of the author. You are not welcome to attack me, personally.

You are the one who took things off topic, and turned the discussion into a personal attack.

I post a range of views, written by people from the right, and the left. Economist don't all agree with one another, but IMO, intelligent, well adjusted people do not attack people they don't even know, because they post information on a forum.

G.
</div></div>

Intelligent, well adjusted, people do not take opposition to their opinions as personal attacks.

From what I have seen, you do not post a "range of views", you post anything, whether rational, factual, or not, that favors this President and his administration. Would you agree that behavior of that type is dysfunctional?

J

Gayle in MD
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

G.
</div></div>

Intelligent, well adjusted, people do not take opposition to their opinions as personal attacks.

From what I have seen, you do not post a "range of views", you post anything, whether rational, factual, or not, that favors this President and his administration. Would you agree that behavior of that type is dysfunctional?

J </div></div>

Here is what I think. I think that the author of the article has a long list of credentials, which I seriously doubt that you could match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter Cohan
View all Articles

See full article from DailyFinance: </div></div>

Additionally, I think that if you could post a series of personal attacks such as these:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Someone is, without any doubt, one, or all of the following; totally delusional, completely unknowledgeable, or an extremely g.dedicated follower than can never renounce their leader.

J

J

J
</div></div>

And than call them mere opposition to my opinions, or pretend that they resemble a reasoned rebuttal, then your ideas about what is and isn't dysfunctional, or rational, are of no interest to me, at all.

To me, you are simply another obscure name on a forum, who can't control his anger when he reads opinions which do not support HIS own opinion, and then reacts by launching irrational personal attacks against someone he doesn't even know, only to follow up on his own bazaar bahavior, by denying that he ever even became unglued in the first place.

G. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

jimmyg
08-26-2010, 11:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

Here is what I think. I think that the author of the article has a long list of credentials, which I seriously doubt that you could match.

View all Articles

Additionally, I think that if you could post a series of personal attacks such as these:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

J

J

J
</div></div>

And than call them mere opposition to my opinions, or pretend that they resemble a reasoned rebuttal, then your ideas about what is and isn't dysfunctional, or rational, are of no interest to me, at all.

To me, you are simply another obscure name on a forum, who can't control his anger when he reads opinions which do not support HIS own opinion, and then reacts by launching irrational personal attacks against someone he doesn't even know, only to follow up on his own bazar bahavior, by denying that he ever even became unglued in the first place.

G. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif</div></div>

If you believe that being accused of being unknowledgeable, delusional, or a cult like follower, for supporting a totally inaccurate, fabricated position, is the same as one "launching irrational personal attacks", then I clearly overestimated you by expecting a rational reply informing me of the merits of your opinion. Therefore I withdraw from this discussion.

I do stand firmly on my original reply.

J

Gayle in MD
08-27-2010, 12:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is referring to the author.

J </div></div>

The Op? What is an OP?

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

G.
</div></div>

J </div></div>

View all Articles

J

J

J
</div></div>

To me, you are simply another obscure name on a forum, who can't control his anger when he reads opinions which do not support HIS own opinion, and then reacts by launching irrational personal attacks against someone he doesn't even know, only to follow up on his own bazar bahavior, by denying that he ever even became unglued in the first place.

G. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif</div></div>

If you believe that being accused of being unknowledgeable, delusional, or a cult like follower, for supporting a totally inaccurate, fabricated position, is the same as one "launching irrational personal attacks", then I clearly overestimated you by expecting a rational reply informing me of the merits of your opinion. Therefore I withdraw from this discussion.

I do stand firmly on my original reply.

J </div></div>

HA ha ha,...how very typical.

Gayle in MD
08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I have read a number of commentaries from credible sources agreeing with the author of Gayle's post.
I tend to agree with you on this one, but I feel she was sincere
in posting that opinion and not deserving of derision. </div></div>

Another brilliant Libertarian, who can't abide the liberties of those who see things in a different light than he does.

I wonder why a simple opinion, from a man who is obviously well educated on the subject, would make these people so angry? Wouldn't you think that in such a bad economic phase, some positive views might have been encouraging?

Especially since economists from both sides of the spectrum, stated from the very beginning of this disastrous Bush Recession, nearly a Depression, that this would be a long, hard, slow recovery, with a likely double dip.

This isn't the only economic expert who is saying that there are many good signs out there, and that things would have been far worse without the stimulus money, which did prevent greater job loses, and those losses are much lower, now, than the rate of job loss under Bush.

WT* did they expect???????????

MIND you, these are the same folks who didn't bat an eyelash, when we ended up in Iraq for seven years, after Bush told us we'd be there three months.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

hondo
08-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Without wanting to start a fuss.
I went back to AZ and took a look at your posts from the past few months.

Fair and balanced?

A range of views?

LOL! What am I missing?

90% of your posts appear to be non-stop attacks on the current administration, which may or may not be justified.
Just saying.

Chopstick
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?
</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Krappynomix Alert</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

It is not the "Bush" recession or anyone elses recession. Boom and recession are natural parts of the business cycle. They have always been here and always will. It is delusional for any government to believe that they can do anything about it. They invariably make things much worse. Recessions are natural. 10 year depressions are not. They are always the result of government interference.

Gayle in MD
08-27-2010, 09:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?
</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Krappynomix Alert</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

It is not the "Bush" recession or anyone elses recession. Boom and recession are natural parts of the business cycle. They have always been here and always will. It is delusional for any government to believe that they can do anything about it. They invariably make things much worse. Recessions are natural. 10 year depressions are not. They are always the result of government interference. </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

The prediction of a ten year depression, are the exact words Bush and Paulson used to justify the TARP!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Chopstick
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?
</div></div>

It is not the "Bush" recession or anyone elses recession. Boom and recession are natural parts of the business cycle. They have always been here and always will. It is delusional for any government to believe that they can do anything about it. They invariably make things much worse. Recessions are natural. 10 year depressions are not. They are always the result of government interference. </div></div>

The prediction of a ten year depression, are the exact words Bush and Paulson used to justify the TARP!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

I never agreed with TARP or the stimulus. They were both useless gestures. TARP may have been necessary for a couple of week to provide liquidity but it turned out to be an excuse for everyone to pig out on the public treasury. The TARP law specified that all monies were to be returned to the tax payers. The next thing you see is Barney Frank on TV saying that they were keeping the money for themselves. The TARP is a law. What he said is a violation of that law. Why wasn't he arrested? I guess government is just too complicated for me.

Gayle in MD
08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you aware of how many economists are at odds with one another's opinions on the economy?
</div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

I never agreed with TARP or the stimulus. They were both useless gestures. TARP may have been necessary for a couple of week to provide liquidity but it turned out to be an excuse for everyone to pig out on the public treasury. The TARP law specified that all monies were to be returned to the tax payers. The next thing you see is Barney Frank on TV saying that they were keeping the money for themselves. The TARP is a law. What he said is a violation of that law. Why wasn't he arrested? I guess government is just too complicated for me. </div></div>

None of that has anything to do with the fact that both Bush, and Paulson, and mot economists after they realized the scoope of this disaster, predicted a decade long recession, IF we could avoid, a Depression.

My point being, allowing all of the banks to fail, would have been far worse, than TARP. The entire global economy, was about to collapse. No one predicted a quick turn around. Yet, Obama was supposed to have everything booming again, by now.

G.

Chopstick
08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point being, allowing all of the banks to fail, would have been far worse, than TARP. </div></div>

The TARP was provided to prevent the credit system from locking up. It locked up anyway and the banks just used the funds to buy out their competition. Other than short term liquidity I see no other useful purpose for TARP. It was a waste of money on a colossal scale. Then they did it again with the stimulus. Trillions down the tube, they have learned nothing and benefited no one but themselves and their friends. How is this different from any other corrupt political organization? There is no right and left here. There is only right and wrong.

pooltchr
08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The TARP was provided to prevent the credit system from locking up. It locked up anyway and the banks just used the funds to buy out their competition. Other than short term liquidity I see no other useful purpose for TARP. It was a waste of money on a colossal scale. Then they did it again with the stimulus. Trillions down the tube, they have learned nothing and benefited no one but themselves and their friends. How is this different from any other corrupt political organization? There is no right and left here. There is only right and wrong. </div></div>

Very well said!

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point being, allowing all of the banks to fail, would have been far worse, than TARP. </div></div>

The TARP was provided to prevent the credit system from locking up. It locked up anyway and the banks just used the funds to buy out their competition. Other than short term liquidity I see no other useful purpose for TARP. It was a waste of money on a colossal scale. Then they did it again with the stimulus. Trillions down the tube, they have learned nothing and benefited no one but themselves and their friends. How is this different from any other corrupt political organization? There is no right and left here. There is only right and wrong. </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I'm of the opinion that things would be far worse without the stimulus money. Unemployment would have gone far higher, without it.

Tarp was not sufficiently overseen, IMO, and not nearly above board. Too much hidden. But IMO, it was necessary in order to prevent global financial disaster. There would have beenn a cascading domino effect, and that would have expediated a depression.

Also, I don't like to think about what many states would have looked like without enough policemen, firemen, and teachers to keep Americans safe, and continue education.

Just my 2C.

G.</span>

LWW
08-31-2010, 02:57 AM
And what do you base this opinion on?

LWW

Qtec
08-31-2010, 03:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what do you base this opinion on?

LWW </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>CBO finds stimulus boosted economy</span>
By Walter Alarkon - 08/24/10 03:50 PM ET

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>The Democrats' stimulus raised economic growth by as much as 4.5 percent in the last quarter and may have increased the number of people with jobs by more than 3 million, according to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report released Tuesday.</span> </div></div>

Without the stimulus, things would have been far worse. If the GOP had actually tried to help instead of obstruct, the Bill would have been much bigger with a more positive effect.
The GOP didn't want it to work. They hate the man in the street.

Q

LWW
08-31-2010, 03:58 AM
LINK?

LWW

Sev
08-31-2010, 06:38 AM
It should have been left to collapse. It would have been a globally teachable moment.

Sev
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Current growth rate is 1.4% and falling.

Unemployment claims are once again on the climb. 500,000 and 470,000 respectively these past 2 weeks.

The housing market is still in free fall.

The last of the ARM's come due in the next 2 months.

pooltchr
08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Current growth rate is 1.4% and falling.

Unemployment claims are once again on the climb. 500,000 and 470,000 respectively these past 2 weeks.

The housing market is still in free fall.

The last of the ARM's come due in the next 2 months. </div></div>

But Obama's stimulus helped the economy, but anything that happened since then is still Bush's fault.

Steve

LWW
09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it's certainly popular to say the U.S. economy is heading toward a double-dip recession, the simple reality is that we're still in the first one that started in December 2007</div></div>You flip flop more than John Kerry. One day we are in, next we are out, then we are in, then people are quitting their jobs because we are out. Can you make up your mind?

eg8r </div></div>

It's made for her ... and that's quite apparent.

LWW