PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Experiment - Bob Jewett

SPetty
02-27-2002, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: In another thread, TonyM wrote:</font><hr>High speed video tape (see RSB for the Jacksonville experiment) have laid to rest many myths like this and others. I suggest that you check the RSB archives, and for those really ineterested order a copy of the video tape from Bob Jewett. <hr></blockquote>

How can we order this video?

02-27-2002, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>How can we order [the Jacksonville] video? <hr></blockquote>

Send me $30, preferably through Paypal.com (email jewett@sfbilliards.com). For snail-mail, send to 962 Stony Hill Rd., Redwood City, CA 94061. This tape is most interesting to hard core pool physics fanatics, but others find interesting and remarkable stuff there too. For more discussion search for "jewett shamos jacksonville" in http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

The tape comes with a copy of our original notes and some summaries.

Bob Jewett

TomBrooklyn
02-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Bob:
I started looking at RSB. There is quite a bit there and I didn't get through it all yet. You started with an ambitious list of questions you wanted to investigate. How much of the list were you successful in getting awnsers to? Were other results obtained that were not on the original list, etcetera?

02-28-2002, 02:36 PM
I posted the highlights of what we did look at to RSB under the subject "The Jacksonville Project" in November 1998, right after the taping. There were things we didn't get to. There were lots of things that we looked at that weren't on the list. Perhaps the most surprising is that lots of miscues contact the cue ball with the ferrule or shaft. Should such shots be called fouls? I don't think so.

Subscribers to BD can refer to the articles by me and Mike Shamos in the April 1999 issue, and my detailed analysis of stick speed in the June 1999 issue.

I think lots of details remain to be studied, and have been thinking about how to best get another video session going.

Bob Jewett

SPetty
03-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I received the Jacksonville video last week. I had a chance to look at it a little this weekend. That was fun. I'm not sure I'll ever really know or understand what it's telling me, but I've always wanted to see a cue hit a ball in super slow motion. I got a lot of looks at that.

Thanks Bob!