PDA

View Full Version : Hand-Eye Coordination

KalboKev
08-26-2010, 06:09 AM
I know it's off topic, forgive me. With that said--if you want to watch a text book display, youtube Phil "the power" Taylor pitch darts.

His form is nearly flawless, a lot can be learned.

cushioncrawler
08-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Phil Taylor:
I play Darts like a snooker player in my mind. Like a Stephen Hendry if you like. I totally concentrate and focus on every single shot.

From Tungsten Kid, Canada :
When I watch you throw, you appear to have a very noticeable way of exhaling when you release your dart. What do you do to control your breathing and is it something you do to control adrenaline or nerves ? Also,do you use grip wax ? I ask this because I see you reach in your pocket before throwing at times and assume it is some sort of grip assistance.
Phil Taylor:
It's just my natural way of throwing. No intentional technique on my part I have just always thrown that way. And yes I do use grip wax.

From Undine, Holland :
Dear Phil, what do you think about dart-workshops? It would be very good for unexperienced players (like me) if pros would give some tips of how to throw a dart correctly, how to prepare for an important match and so on. Or do you think for a dartplayer the only way to get better is just playing against better players?
Phil Taylor:
Yes I think it's a great idea and I have done things like this in the past. Particularly in Holland where perhaps the coaching side of Darts is taken more seriously than it is in the UK. I also agree that you do have to play against good players in order to maintain and improve your game.

From Darryl Marshall :
I play darts with my dad and I wanted to know where the best place to stand on the oche and how can you deal with the pressure ?
Phil Taylor:
The centre of the oche. Always stand so you are dead straight. Dealing with the pressure comes with experience and we are all still learning every day. For example the Premier League is still new to us and that's completely different to what we have ever experienced before. So you are always dealing with new situations and new forms of pressure and it's experiencing these things that helps you learn how to deal with them.

From Anne Kramer, USA:
What is the best piece of advice you received from Eric, that you could pass along to all the aspiring Americans?
Phil Taylor:
Him telling me off for not practising enough! With Eric it was always about (and probably still is) 100% dedication and practice, practice, practice. Self belief as well of course. And he was always telling me "you'd better win because you owe me money!"

From Magnus Hilden , Sweden :
How much of your practice is in the head like mental training?
Phil Taylor:
Lots of it is in the head actually. But really its both mental and physical preparation. I think that's what it is all about being properly prepared. I'm already beginning to think about the next World Championships (2008) which is almost a year away and will gradually be working on my stamina and mental preparation in order to be ready. Everything I do is preparation to be gradually building towards being ready for the World Championships each year.

From Martin Bedborough :
Phil, having been at the top of the darting world for so long, apart from the motivation of winning more World titles, what keeps you focussed, and what do you want to do once you finally retire from the game?
Phil Taylor:
I'm enjoying it, I really am. Also the new names and new challenges they bring with them. Of course there's Barneveld but now we have the Klaasen's and the Van Gerwen's and there are great American players as well. More than enough to keep me motivated. Of course it's self pride as well. I honestly don't know what I'll do when I retire from the sport. I'll have a nice villa in the Spanish Islands I know that much!

From Unicorn Kid, USA :
Dear Phil, I'm experiencing a difficult problem with my darts. I recently found a set of barrels from my dad's old darts. I started playing with them and found I was able to hit my triple 20's, 19's or any number I really needed. Then, I switched to my original darts and found that I wasn't able to throw as accurate. I use a 21g dart that feels very comfortable in my hand. These old barrels are 18g and don't feel good in my hands. My question is, would you rather throw a comfortable but heavier dart or a lighter but, less comfortable?
Phil Taylor:
Always the most comfortable dart in your hand. You've got to be comfortable with what you are throwing or you'll run into problems eventually.

From Albert Bunce, West Midlands :
I, like you, am a big family man. I know how hard it can be to find quality time to spend with the family with work commitments. Having such a big career which requires hours of dedication every day with fixtures here there and everywhere and especially the World Championships over the Christmas period, how do you find this quality time?
Phil Taylor:
You have to make time, it's as simple as that. But of course you have to make sacrifices. Anything you strive for in life comes with sacrifices that you have to make. However it's been better since I have been a full time professional. In the early days I was working and then out on the road all the time, but this is what you have to do to get to where you want to be.

From Mick Carroll, Surrey :
If darts had a mulligan and you where allowed a once only choice, which throw would you have liked to have taken again in any of your past matches and why?
Phil Taylor:
Without doubt following up that 180 against Barneveld in the final leg of the World Championships with another one!

From Charlotte Burgess :
Hi Phil, I am 17 and play for Andover Youth Academy and would like to become big in the world of darts (maybe another Trina Gulliver), how many hours a day should I be practising and do you have a practise regime that I could use?
Phil Taylor:
I practice with Andy Hamilton at the moment for 2 ½ - 3 hours a day. I will probably increase this to 4 hours a day once I begin going to the gym every other day (I'm going every day at the moment). But you have to find the right balance for you, it has to be positive and beneficial practice or there is no point.

From Nico Roets, South Africa :
I'm not sure how much time I need to put into training and exercise. 1) How much hours do to you spend in front of the dart board over week? 2) What physical exercises do you do to maintain your level of success?
Phil Taylor:
As above. I'm always trying to better myself and become a better player and I'm working on my physical fitness at the moment. I'm doing a lot of walking and using a treadmill and doing bench exercises and I'm going to start with light weights soon. Also I'll be playing squash and swimming, so more physically active than I have ever been before and I'm really enjoying it.

From Pino, Netherlands:
When I watched your dart matches, I notice that you have a whole special manner to hold your dart fixed. In contrast to other darters. It seems that your dart only rest between your thumb and indicate finger. And then the middle finger puts the dart sharp, and then proceeds the trigger. When you started with darts , did you throw already this way? Or is this the outcome of years practise?
Phil Taylor:
I have always thrown exactly the same way, it's just my natural throw. I probably used to hold the dart a little further down the stem before technology improved the design of the darts.

From David Scaum :
Now Barney has come across to the real world of darts do you feel relieved of any pressure of being the face of PDC darts or has the pressure increased on you. I don't mean any disrespect to any of the other players and the pressures they are under, it's just that every time darts was on Sky all the attention is on you and can anyone stop the Power but now the focus is on both you and Barney.?
Phil Taylor:
It's a different challenge for me which is great. I like Raymond very much as a person and admire him tremendously as a player. He wants to try and do what I have done obviously and he is dedicated. He's made me work much harder .. and has probably put 10 years on me since he has come to the PDC!!

From Jan Willert, Germany :
Dear Sir, although you lost the championship this year, I think we all won the beginning of a new era in the sport of darts- the era of the great matches between you and Mr. van Barneveld. In my opinion, the very difference in this final were the 21 180s of van Barneveld. Do you think so, too and will you try now to throw more 180s instead of the 19 you often choose?
Phil Taylor:
My darts go in differently which means I use more cover shots if I am not happy with the initial lie of the dart. The difference between us was literally that last leg.

cushioncrawler
08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
The ideal throw --- Dipping into the board
All darts swing like a pendulum during a throw. If the tip is released point up, the flight lifts the rear end to level the dart and it will dip into the board Hitting the spot Taylor’s darts enter the board level, or with the tip up — other players’ darts dip so they must clear the first dart to land the next one
Taylor’s secret Taylor knows that the opposite also applies. He releases the dart with the tip down so the flight pushes down to
level the dart and it enters the board tip up
1 Aim
Taylor says: “You have to get right smack-bang centre on the oche and line everything on your body up to the target”
2 Accelerate
“You keep you arms still, your shoulders still, you throw from the elbow — and that is the perfect dart,” Taylor says
3 Release
Professionals snap the wrist like the crack of a whip to enerate speed. Taylor also dips the dart
4 Follow through
The arm must fully extend in the direction of the throw; if it falls away, so will the dart Both trajectories above follow a parabolic curve to counter gravity. When most players throw, the tips of their darts point slightly above the line of the curve just after they are released. Research by Unicorn, the company that makes Taylor’s darts, shows his do not. Only the centre of gravity has to follow the curve so if the angle of Taylor’s arm is correct the dart can be released with the tip down yet still hit the target

Trajectory of a normal player’s dart
Trajectory of a Phil Taylor dart

Taylor can stack darts across bed

Dipped darts
Flight pushes down
Flight — lifts up Tip
Elbow starts to lift

KalboKev
08-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Raymond Van Barneveld, as well as "Old Stone Face" John Lowe--I'd be hard pressed to pick out a flaw.

I LOVE darts "ALMOST" as much as pool.

The best all play with a rhythm, and have impeccable follow through.

I know it's another discipline, but there isn't anything like watching a master ply his trade.

As an Aussie, you must be proud of Simon Whitlock?

Bambu
08-27-2010, 07:58 AM
I like using other games to compare to pool, anything others can relate to. The only comparison to darts I have used though, is where the eyes are focused during a shot. Nobody looks at their dart when they shoot, as nobody should be looking at the cb during a shot. I suppose follow through could also be a good comparison, as well as mental aspects of both games.

cushioncrawler
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
//////Raymond Van Barneveld, as well as "Old Stone Face" John Lowe--I'd be hard pressed to pick out a flaw. I LOVE darts "ALMOST" as much as pool. The best all play with a rhythm, and have impeccable follow through. I know it's another discipline, but there isn't anything like watching a master ply his trade. As an Aussie, you must be proud of Simon Whitlock?//////

I think i hav heard of Simon, but i dont follow darts much. My billiards mate's wife iz secretary of the local darts league. And the billiards HQ here in ballarat shares a building with the darts HQ. And most pubs hav a darts team and a pool team.
But me myself my dart sometimes misses the whole dart-board -- i dont know how darters can dart so well.

Aktually, i like board hookey better. Similar to darts, but u throw 6 rubber rings, with uzually 13 hooks numbered 1 to 13.

Our barman Alby woz unbeleevable -- a champion hooker -- he had the softest ring i hav ever seen.
It would sort of wobble throo the air in slow motion -- and it never bounced off the board or hook -- the ring allways sort of oooozed down the board, looking for a hook -- i swear that it kood even stick to the underside of a hook.
We used to play from the far corner -- throwing rings over 2 bars. U koodnt do that with darts.
mac.

cushioncrawler
08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
//////// Bambu ///// I like using other games to compare to pool, anything others can relate to. The only comparison to darts I have used though, is where the eyes are focused during a shot. Nobody looks at their dart when they shoot, as nobody should be looking at the cb during a shot. I suppose follow through could also be a good comparison, as well as mental aspects of both games.////////

Bambu -- i dont entirely agree.
Anyhow, the korrekt komparison iz with pygmy blow-darters.
They allways hav their dominant eye over the bamboo.
They allways exhale on the shot.
They allways sight along the bamboo.
Their eyes go from bamboo to monkey to bamboo several times -- but they allways look at the monkey last.
Most prefer a heavy 13mm dart -- less squerv.
If the monkey iz a long way up the tree, the pygmys take their loin-cloth off, just in case.
mac.

KalboKev
08-28-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm about a half century, I've played pool off and on since about 15. I've only started playing darts within the past 2.5 years. I've improved rapidly, if I do say so myself.
My concentration, or focus has improved considerably on the pool table since I've taken up darts. And likewise my pool game has improved.
In my younger days, I used to shoot a Longbow. Byron Ferguson was/is my Idol. He pops aspirins out of the air with a traditional English Longbow, amongst many other unbelievable things. His mantra is "become the arrow" Focus, every shot. Darts reminded me of that.
Don't shoot at the target, focus on a tiny pin prick in the center. Just like in pool, when you only have half a pocket to work with, or you need to cheat the pocket, you suddenly become a laser beam. If only I could harness that concentration on every shot.

cushioncrawler
08-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Last week teammate graeme sez i karnt do anything on this bloody table.
I sez, the force, uze the force.
Graeme smiles -- and ends up snatching an unlikely win from a long ways behind.
mac.

Bambu
08-28-2010, 07:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">//////// Bambu ///// I like using other games to compare to pool, anything others can relate to. The only comparison to darts I have used though, is where the eyes are focused during a shot. Nobody looks at their dart when they shoot, as nobody should be looking at the cb during a shot. I suppose follow through could also be a good comparison, as well as mental aspects of both games.////////

Bambu -- i dont entirely agree.
Anyhow, the korrekt komparison iz with pygmy blow-darters.
They allways hav their dominant eye over the bamboo.
They allways exhale on the shot.
They allways sight along the bamboo.
Their eyes go from bamboo to monkey to bamboo several times -- but they allways look at the monkey last.
Most prefer a heavy 13mm dart -- less squerv.
If the monkey iz a long way up the tree, the pygmys take their loin-cloth off, just in case.
mac.</div></div>

Lol Mac! I guess it all depends on what you have on hand for the sake of comparison.

cushioncrawler
08-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Phil Taylor wouldnt stand a chance against a pygmy.
When the pygmy takes out hiz 12' blow-pipe all betting will stop for sure.
mac.

cushioncrawler
08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KalboKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about a half century, I've played pool off and on since about 15. I've only started playing darts within the past 2.5 years. I've improved rapidly, if I do say so myself. My concentration, or focus has improved considerably on the pool table since I've taken up darts. And likewise my pool game has improved. In my younger days, I used to shoot a Longbow. Byron Ferguson was/is my Idol. He pops aspirins out of the air with a traditional English Longbow, amongst many other unbelievable things. His mantra is "become the arrow" Focus, every shot. Darts reminded me of that. Don't shoot at the target, focus on a tiny pin prick in the center. Just like in pool, when you only have half a pocket to work with, or you need to cheat the pocket, you suddenly become a laser beam. If only I could harness that concentration on every shot.</div></div>Phil started in 1988 and woz world champ in 1990.
I think one kood win pool and snooker in 2 years, but english billiards would take 5 years minimum.
How big are thoze aspirins????
George Gray's dad used to make long-loozers more diffikult for George by placing a wooden pin against the jaw on one side of the pocket, ie to narrow the pocket, and to make George aim at the far-jaw every shot, rather than the less forgiving near-jaw, and even a slight touch of the pin woz treated az a miss.
mac.

bradb
08-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Some serious dart nuts here. I love the game also.

The comparison to snooker is a good example, both games require to develop an ability to visualize an imaginary vector line or arc and get an object to follow it precisely. I've been told people who can do this also make good pilots as they can visualize the flight path better.

When ever we take our RV out to some of the camp grounds down south there's always a series of "Old Geezer" games I can get into. One is a game where players toss 2" washers about 25 feet into a small wooded box. If you put it into a small pipe in the middle of the box you triple your score. I've developed an ability to consistantly do this using the same throwing principle as darts, exact repetition of arm speed, arc length and release. Except for the occasional shark who comes around I usually wind up getting a lot of free beer.

Brad

cushioncrawler
08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Brad -- Next thing u will be throwing heavy rope quoits onto a wooden peg.
Wait, better still, the ultimate throwing game -- u will need 10 long sharp knives, and one willing wife, perhaps two.
mac.

bradb
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad -- Next thing u will be throwing heavy rope quoits onto a wooden peg.
Wait, better still, the ultimate throwing game -- u will need 10 long sharp knives, and one willing wife, perhaps two.
mac. </div></div>

Actually there is a rope game just like that.

If you are into knives maybe you can get a job at a synagogue. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

SpiderMan
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad -- Next thing u will be throwing heavy rope quoits onto a wooden peg.
mac. </div></div>

Forget the knives ... give me that willing wife and plenty of rope /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SpiderMan

cushioncrawler
09-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Me, u, we all started with marbles.
mac.
A marble is a small spherical toy usually made from glass, clay, steel, or agate. These balls vary in size. Most commonly, they are about ½ inch (1.25 cm) in diameter, but they may range from less than ¼ inch (0.635 cm) to over 3 inches (7.75 cm), while some art glass marbles for display purposes are over 12 inches (30 cm) wide. Marbles can be used for a variety of games called marbles. They are often collected, both for nostalgia and for their aesthetic colors.