PDA

View Full Version : ONE POCKET

HOWARD
08-28-2002, 04:29 PM
YO, ONE HOLE PLAYERS, I WAS TAUGHT TO BREAK WITH A TIP OF INSIDE ENGLISH HITTING THE 1-3 POCKET -I.E. GRAZING THE HEAD BALL AND CATCHING MORE OF THE SECOND BALL AT A MEDIUM SLOW SPEED. SOME YEARS AGO I RAN ACROSS A GOOD ONE HOLE PLAYER WHO BREAK WAS DIFFERENT. HE WOULD BREAK BY GRAZING THE SECOND FROM LAST BALL AND HITTING LAST CORNER BALL AT A MEDIUM SPEED WITH 1/2 TIP OF INSIDE - IT WOULD COME OUT PRETTY WILL TOO. - ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE ? HOWARD

Tom_In_Cincy
08-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Where did the cue ball end up on the table?
I break the way you describe. I have never seen a next to the last ball break..

HOWARD
08-28-2002, 06:30 PM
TOM, IT WOULD END UP JUST ABOVE THE HEAD BALL OF THE TRIANGLE -A FEW INCHES INSIDE THE THIRD DIAMOND AND A FOOT IN FROM THE LONG RAIL- WITH THE BALLS BROKEN OUT BEING DEEP DOWN BY HIS HOLE AND HARD TO FIND A GOOD WAY TO GET TO ANY OF THEM. -HOWARD

08-28-2002, 06:43 PM
It's to passive and to easy to turn aeound. The only time it's good is on a slick table where the corner ball is coming out. John

Vapros
08-28-2002, 08:31 PM
The traditional and most common one-pocket break is as you described - 1/8 of the first ball and some inside english to make the cue ball stay close to the long rail as it returns. Eddie Robin's book 'Winning One-Pocket' describes several different breaks, including one that is a kick off the side rail. Positioning the cue ball farther from the side rail for the break is a safer and less aggressive break, as is hitting the second-to-last ball. One can also hit the last two balls with left english, going two rails in the corner and taking the cue ball diagonally down the table to the corner on the same side as the breaker's pocket. Or, alternately, hitting the rack harder there with right english and leaving the cue ball near the foot rail.

All these breaks will produce good results, sometimes, but I believe the good players stay pretty close to the usual way.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Howard,
I tried it tonite.. and it was very good. I liked the way it just got the balls on the bottom two rows to go towards the pocket.
With just about a half tip of inside and clipping the next to last ball and hitting the last ball, the cue ball consistantly ended above the rack near the same side short rail.. very good. I like it.

Chris Cass
08-29-2002, 04:40 PM
I break this way too. I often get the ball to land dead on the second diamond off the foot rail, frozen. This is my goal. Sometimes, I make the corner ball and sometimes, I leave it around the third diamond. The second is better, not to leave a bank.

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Chris,
I have been a 2nd ball (clip the head ball) breaker for more than 20 years... I have never seen anyone break using the last ball (clip the next to last ball). Last nite I found myself laughing out loud. This is a much more consistant way for me to break. Very little chance of the cue ball going into the opponents pocket.. and I really like the way it comes back up along the short rail..

Chris Cass
08-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi Tom,

It's great to know a few ways to throw your opponent off. One time I was aggravated playing Rodney and slammed that sucker. hahaha Shocked, wasn't the word. I won the next 3 games. hahaha

C.C.

NH_Steve
08-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Lately I have been occasionally (I like to do it in hill-hill games /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) breaking by hitting side rail first, trying to lodge the cue against the side of the rack -- against players that i suspect don't have a lot of experience returning that type of break. If I broke every game that way, they'd quickly learn how to respond & it wouldn't be nearly as effective. I like keeping it as a 'trick up my sleeve' /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Ph6I7%WV5Z8%Xg8J2%e B5b2%_N1R7
%`P9W7%aU3Z9
)END

WEI shortcut:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

dddd
08-29-2002, 07:49 PM
the most offensive break is from second ball
the other break is less offensive.
the first break while more offensive, it has some issues which can cause trouble for you, if the table or balls are breaking bad you can scratch easily or just as easy to leave a shot for you opponent.
also if your having a bad day that break can be trouble.
again though, it gives you more balls on your side in playable position.

second break is less offensive, it breaks less balls, just by hitting the last corner you have less chance of selling out and scratching in pocket, practically none really.

in one pocket this is another choice of how to play, agressive and attacking, or more passive and waiting for small gains, one or two balls at a time.
am i breaking good or is the table playing well, ?
i move up and down the side of the rack depending on the table and how it reacts, and how the balls in the rack react,
but if i am playing well and i play agressive, i will hit the second ball and try to place as many balls in play on by side as possible, this allows me more choices and more balls to run in one turn at the table.

bye

John in NH
08-30-2002, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: dddd:</font><hr> the most offensive break is from second ball
the other break is less offensive.
the first break while more offensive, it has some issues which can cause trouble for you, if the table or balls are breaking bad you can scratch easily or just as easy to leave a shot for you opponent.
also if your having a bad day that break can be trouble.
again though, it gives you more balls on your side in playable position.

second break is less offensive, it breaks less balls, just by hitting the last corner you have less chance of selling out and scratching in pocket, practically none really.

in one pocket this is another choice of how to play, agressive and attacking, or more passive and waiting for small gains, one or two balls at a time.
am i breaking good or is the table playing well, ?
i move up and down the side of the rack depending on the table and how it reacts, and how the balls in the rack react,
but if i am playing well and i play agressive, i will hit the second ball and try to place as many balls in play on by side as possible, this allows me more choices and more balls to run in one turn at the table.
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Howard,

I agree with your analysis, with a little practice you can eliminate the problem with the break, with the proper amount of speed you can easily open more balls without leaving your opponent a shot, this is my first choice especially against weaker opposition, if I am playing a stronger player and the first break is not working I may opt to break the second ball from the rail if only to try to confuse my opponent.

John

Have some fun, play pool, have great fun, play one pocket.

Scott Lee
08-30-2002, 10:25 AM
Willie Jopling's new One Pocket tape shows 20-30 breaks, with lots of detail on what to do both offensively, and defensively. He also shows a couple dozen examples of shots he calls "break escapes", which show what to do when someone hits you with a good break! Terrific tape for even seasoned one pocket players.

Scott Lee