PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Pay-Per-View What would you pay?

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 09:50 PM
If the larger tournaments were to offer PPV for the AccuStat match of the round (of the last 8 matches), how much would you pay to see these matches?

Rod
02-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Tom my answer is not listed, but there is a problem
with the setup on the poll.

BrakenRun
02-27-2002, 10:17 PM
I would use Anonymous
(Unregistered)
02/27/02 11:00 PM
152.163.194.194 Predator cue as payment! LOL

Kato
02-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Shoot, you buy those tapes for $25 a piece. To tape 8 great players in a round robin for small dollars ($30) is a gift.

Kato.

travellerdl2
02-28-2002, 12:37 PM
Tom,
I would pay ONE time to see really great matches. However
if I found that the coverage was no better than ESPN's coverage; I would not purchase it a SECOND time.
Coverage that focuses on the shooters faces instead of the "english applied" and rarely shows the travels of the cue ball after the hit, is of very little value to me.
We have the technology to show 40 race cars travelling nearly 200 mph on a 2+ mile track. Yet at this massive amount of distance and speed the commentators can illuminate the race cars' number and exact location on the track. Would it be too much to ask to identify the balls on a 9 foot table and show us the cue ball's path?

Mikey
03-01-2002, 08:22 AM
No way would I pay to watch pool on T.V. I'm an avid boxing fan and I won't do pay for view for that either. I think pay for view is the biggest rip- off they ever thought up.--Mikey

Tom_In_Cincy
03-02-2002, 11:39 PM
Ok, I'll bite.. why do you think it is a big rip off?

rackmup
03-04-2002, 07:38 AM
Tom,

PPV may be the only way we see pool on the tube!

I chose $20 as a starting point only because I would want to see the quality of the coverage before devoting any more of my table-time cash than necessary.

It irks me to watch the ESPN2 coverage of a match when a player is faced with a tough shot, only to have them cut to an APA commercial that I have seen 100 times! When they return to the match, the shot has been made, no replay is shown and they are already deep into the next game!

Regards,

Ken (thinks CNN should invest in a 24/7 Billiards program with Geraldo and Bernard Shaw as the hosts)

03-04-2002, 09:08 AM
I think it's a rip-off for the fans because I used to watch all the big fights back in the 70's to early 80's on Wide World of Sports for free. Nowdays football's PFV, Basketball is PFV, Most big fights are PFV, it just seems everythings going to PFV. If pool is on T.V. ,I'll watch it, but I won't go out of my way to watch it, so why would I want to pay to watch it. Just my opinion,---Mikey

03-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Tom,
Is there something in the works, or are we just wishfull thinking?
Keith

Tom_In_Cincy
03-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Brady Berhman has asked this question before, and Pat Flemming has had to have had an idea brewing for a while.
The Billiard Channel has to be interested at some point, for the major events.
I know I would PFV these matches, if I knew before hand who was playing.
Would you visit a Pool Hall if you knew you were going to watch a LIVE match between any of the top 20 players in the world? No commentary? no instant replay?
Or, would you visit a Pool Hall with the PFV match, with commentary and extra camera views and replays?
Its got to be coming soon.. too many people are willing to pay..

I know I would. I have paid a lot more to see the US Open and Derby Classic championship matches. And, I would think a lot of pool enthusists would also.

shojingod
03-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Sad way for accu-stat to make money on a product they generally overcharge for anyway.

I believe the (Pay per view) thing from accu-stat came after they realized that foreign sales went down the toilet after the drop of foreign exchange rates.

My advise for accu-stat.
1. Get out of distribution and join with global video distribution companies and sell them rights royalties so that they can manufacture the tape in other countries at rate that are equal to there dollar value.

OR

2. Lower your prices, for god sakes lower your prices. Your just not affordable in many other countries.

Mikey
03-05-2002, 08:26 PM
Why? because years ago you could watch anything pertaining to sports on T.V. for free.Hell, on Sat. afternoons I watched many major fights on Wide World of Sports and didn't have to pay a dime.Nowadays it's anything for a dollar.Lets screw the fans and charge them if they want to watch the sports that they love to watch. I for one, put my foot down and will not pay to watch sports, I'll watch it 1-2 weeks later on T.V. as a rerun. Only my opinion. ---Mikey

05-28-2002, 07:33 PM
How much would someone pay to see the finals of a Major Event?

jjinfla
05-28-2002, 07:50 PM
That's a pretty biased poll. Because when analyzing the results you will always be able to say that of the respondants to the poll 100% of them agreed to pay at least $20. Try it with 1) nothing; 2) Under $10; 3) $10 to $20; 4) over $20. My personal choice would be nothing. Jake

05-28-2002, 07:57 PM
I thought most pay per view movies cost only $3 or $4 each. It seems like you are trying to price these in the range of wrestling's products. But them pool as a sport seems to want to be treated sort of like wrestling. That $20 minimum price seems like a joke to me. But maybe I'm just too much of a cheapskate.

05-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, if Earl were playing it's not so far fetched an analogy......He's pretty much "The Rock" of pool anyway...Pay per view pool, maybe when all the stuff the actor's guild was striking over comes to pass, but $20 is a little steep for a product that has heretofore shown little, if any quality.

Chris Cass
05-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi Tom,

There were a lot of good suggestions here. I would like to see the entire match. I would also like to see the shooters stroke the cue ball path and definitely the instant reply. The problem with pool matches on TV is the way it's show. If they could just put enough cameras on the game to cover all the angles and up close action. It's a shoe in.

The only thing I thinkl I'm seeing is Accustats making money off the tapes. That's ok by me but they can still make money per match in sales of the video. Just give me Archers break and Busty's in slow motion and Efrin's english. As far as the WPBA matches go and camera angles well just forget it. My wife will kill me. LMAO

Regards,

C.C.~~interesting

Kato
05-29-2002, 09:31 AM
I'm with Chris here. I'd love to see the match, with multiple angles and good commentary. I'm not paying 20 bucks for Mitch Lawerance. Give me good matches, good film, good commentary and I'll buy it and I'll tape it.

Kato

JimS
05-29-2002, 10:48 AM
I read just this morning in Inside Pool that a new company is taping special matches with much better equipment, having the players commentate on their own matches, will use graphics to show where the player hit the cb etc.

The company is owned by 6 people, four of them pros.

Check it out at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.worldpool.com.>www.worldpool.com.</a>

AzHousePro
05-29-2002, 01:01 PM
But years ago, boxers weren't getting paid 20 mil to get in the ring and get knocked out in 2 rounds to never be seen again.

And you can't see the finals of a major billiards event 1-2 weeks later on TV as a rerun. Unless you are happy with what ESPN does with the matches on TV.

Mike

Kato
05-29-2002, 02:27 PM
Now this might be something worth buying!!!!!!!

Kato

05-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Let's hope that their web designer buys a dictionary soon though! scedual?