PDA

View Full Version : New PC, Dual Boot Question

Sid_Vicious
09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Friend of mine had a motherboard go down on his Vista OS computer, so he bought a new PC and had the existing Vista drive slaved inside the new PC which is running Windows7.

How can he simply boot from the other Vista drive? tia...sid

Qtec
09-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Maybe this is an option. link (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

Also,
link (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=342333)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have installed Window 7 on a secondary hard drive. Will Windows recognize two (or more) OS's on different hard drives?

<u>It will automatically provide you with dual-boot options if and only if you have all hard drives containing other operating systems connected at the time of the newest operating system's installation.</u> Otherwise you must set it up manually, preferably using VistaBootPRO or EasyBCD. </div></div>

Q

Chopstick
09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Set the Vista drive as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Unless, as Q suggested, you wanted a PC that goes both ways. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-10-2010, 03:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Set the Vista drive as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Unless, as Q suggested, you wanted a PC that goes both ways. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

The "turkey" at ODepot installed the old Vista drive, so I expect it was after the "7" OS was already done. It's really a mess since I am long distance, with a stubborn friend who actually just won't accept change, even though he did adapt to Vista from Millenium. Trying to tutor him about file directions in V7 was new to me, but easier than Vista was. Regardless, I can just feel the heartburn on his part, and mine for when we ever try to work this out on the phone.

The primary selection of the Vista drive seems logical. What about the drivers needed in the new system though? Is that another snake pit waiting to happen? sid

Chopstick
09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Set the Vista drive as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Unless, as Q suggested, you wanted a PC that goes both ways. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

The "turkey" at ODepot installed the old Vista drive, so I expect it was after the "7" OS was already done. It's really a mess since I am long distance, with a stubborn friend who actually just won't accept change, even though he did adapt to Vista from Millenium. Trying to tutor him about file directions in V7 was new to me, but easier than Vista was. Regardless, I can just feel the heartburn on his part, and mine for when we ever try to work this out on the phone.

The primary selection of the Vista drive seems logical. What about the drivers needed in the new system though? Is that another snake pit waiting to happen? sid </div></div>

Snake pit. Might not run at all. Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft.

eg8r
09-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Sid, I hope it all works out for you. Wow a jump from Millenium to Vista was a big jump. As far as the file directories being different, they should be the same thing. Vista was the first OS that went to the use of Libraries and that same structure was implemented in 7.

I doubt you will have many driver issues between a Vista and 7 machine. Even though it should be very limited Murphy will always but in, if you know what I mean. Good luck.

eg8r