PDA

View Full Version : Feeling good = Playing better

08-29-2002, 04:08 PM
Greetings one and all! Thought I'd do a little writing and see where it goes.

I'm sure you've all hit that glass ceiling in your pool hall. Or put another way, the "pecking order". Everyone knows where they fit in the sceem of things and not surprisingly, most matchups and tournament play situations tend to reflect exactly where everyone will finish. Why? Here's my theory. It all goes back to good old peer presure and self esteem habits learned at an early age. In order to be accepted by "the crowd" you had to know your place. I think unconciously this carries over to sports as well. Fact is your only ever going to do as well as your inner self says your going to do according to it's view of you and how it sees your place. Like if your playing over your head for example that little voice inside say's " I'm not really THAT good, this isn't going to last very long" then PRESTO! choke city. Likewise when your playing well below your game and in danger of giving away the match that little voice is there to chew you out and wake you up till you find a way to play like you can and close the deal.

In both instances it's the way you view yourself that is guiding your performance and if you don't have a strong sence of self, then others on your company are more than willing to put you in your place and thus the pecking order is established.

It follows naturaly that to break through this barrier you're going to have to take a serious look at what makes you tick. The best way up and out in my mind is to simply raise your self-esteem. What can it hurt? At the very least you'll be a much healthier and happier person.

Here's a good start, and it's things you can practice every day. You don't even need a table! LOL

1) TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF. When you eat right, excersize, get enough sleep, and take time to pamper yourself, you'll feel better on the inside and look better on the outside.

2) STICK UP FOR YOURSELF. Don't expect other people (friends, co-workers, spouse) to take a stand for you, or come to your rescue. If someone, or something is bothering you, SAY SO. You'll feel better about yourself and stronger inside.

3) SET GOALS AND TAKE STEPS TO REACH THEM. When you have a plan for what you want out of life, you can work towards your own success. Your goals can be big or small, short term or long term.

4) RELAX AND HAVE FUN! Life shouldn't be all work and no play. Go out with your friends, rent a funny movie, buy a joke book, LAUGH a lot. Laughing is good for you in more ways then i can mention.

Above all keep in mind that you're more than whatever results you have at a pool table. By following these simple everyday rules i'll bet you are playing at the next level before you even reolize it. Take care everyone. St

PQQLK9
08-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Well said Strecth...

Barbara
08-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Great advice and boy do I have some musings on this post but I have to log off and can't formulate my response soon.

Why don't you register your name so I can send you a private message, okay?

Missed ya Big Guy #2 (Dave Syrjia's #1 - and have you been in touch with him?)

Barbara

MikeM
08-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Thanks Stretch. I needed that.

MM...Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!

08-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Good to see you posting again Stretch!
Very good advice.

~~~~~Former regular poster turned lurker~~~~~

bluewolf
08-30-2002, 08:29 AM
great post stretch. i set short term and long term goals too. and sometimes i have to revise them. right now i am focussing on getting my fundamentals as near perfect as i can, and not worry too much about how many balls go in.

i have found that when i change something about my fundamental, i have a temporary setback in terms of how many balls go in.so that is okay, and once the fundamental becomes second nature, pocketing balls comes back.

bluewolf

08-30-2002, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Good to see you posting again Stretch!
Very good advice.

~~~~~Former regular poster turned lurker~~~~~ <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I really missed all his mindless drivel. Maybe he can repeat it all for the newbies.

Former regular too. Now I remember why