PDA

View Full Version : Jeter a cheater?

eg8r
09-16-2010, 10:40 AM
What do you think about Jeter taking first base knowing the ball did not hit him?

I personally think it is cheating and think he should have let the ump know. Many times you will see an outfielder trap a fly ball and come up with it in their glove acting like it was caught legitimately knowing full well the ball was trapped and there is no backlash for that. However, Jeter is taking all kinds of persecution for doing what the ump told him to do (twice). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

pooltchr
09-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Acting to get a call is a part of sports. The punter who falls down when a defender comes close to him. The basketball player who hits the deck to get a foul called on the other player. The receiver who tries to make it look like a good catch, when he knows it hit the ground.

It's part of the game. It's up to the officials to do their best to get the call right. When they get it wrong, it's still the ruling that stands.

This is nothing more than a blown call.

Steve

eg8r
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree it is a part of sports but you don't think it is cheating? Why would golf or pool treat this activity differently? Are they considered sports?

eg8r

pooltchr
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
When a sport turns over the enforcement of it's rules to the officials, then it becomes the job of the officials to properly enforce the rules.

I personally think it is ethically wrong, but within the guidelines established for the individual sport. If a defensive end hooks a face mask and no official sees it, he is not expected to throw a flag on himself.

In pool, if there is a ref present, it becomes the job of the ref to make all calls. It is no longer the player's responsibility. When no ref is present, the players are expected to be honest in their calls against themselves. You and I both know it happens sometimes, and doesn't happen sometimes.

As far a Jeeter, he got a bad call go his way. We have seen bad calls in many sports that in some cases cost a team a win, or gave them one they really didn't deserve. Until the structure of making official rulings can be changed, it's the best we have.

How about the perfect game that got taken away on a bad call not too long ago? It is what it is.

Steve

Chopstick
09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
There used to be a rule in the pool rules that said if your opponent or referee does not call a foul then it is not a foul. I have not seen that for a while so they might have taken it out.

sack316
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think about Jeter taking first base knowing the ball did not hit him?

I personally think it is cheating and think he should have let the ump know. Many times you will see an outfielder trap a fly ball and come up with it in their glove acting like it was caught legitimately knowing full well the ball was trapped and there is no backlash for that. However, Jeter is taking all kinds of persecution for doing what the ump told him to do (twice). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Odds are that somewhere along the line he may have got nicked in the jersey or on the show and not awarded a base. Or checked his swing but the umpire ruled he went around.

Bad calls come around and go around... but cheating? Nah. Is it cheating when the catcher frames a pitch? Or should he turn around to the ump and say "nah, I gotcha! That was really a bit outside"?

Sack

Qtec
09-18-2010, 01:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I personally think it is cheating</div></div>

It is cheating.

Q

Qtec
09-18-2010, 01:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acting to get a call is a part of sports. </div></div>

It shouldn't be.

Q

pooltchr
09-18-2010, 05:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acting to get a call is a part of sports. </div></div>

It shouldn't be.

Q </div></div>

There are a lot of things that shouldn't be, but are.

Bad calls, bad rolls.....doo doo happens.

Steve

eg8r
09-20-2010, 01:27 PM
LOL, because it happens all the time, cheating is ok? I know we are not going to get rid of it, I just wish there was a lot less sugar coating. Call it like it is, cheating.

eg8r

sack316
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, because it happens all the time, cheating is ok? I know we are not going to get rid of it, I just wish there was a lot less sugar coating. Call it like it is, cheating.

eg8r </div></div>

Guess it all depends on if one sees it as cheating or a part of the game. Like, this one doesn't bother me. BUT, the phantom tags of 2nd base on double plays do bother the hell out of me! Yet I accept it as being just part of the same. Framed pitches, check swings, trapped balls pretended to be caught, phantom tags, acting out a hit by pitch... guess it's all just there. Every sport has its little nuances that I imagine could be considered cheating technically.

Sack