PDA

View Full Version : Barry Berhman responds

Tom_In_Cincy
08-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Read this response from INSIDE Pool Press Release..

http://www.insidepool.com/cgi-bin/portal/wextra7.pl/p/content1/r/197?lang=
Seems the UPA doesn't want to cooperate..

08-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Umm, regardless of when the offer was made, doesn't Charlie owe it to his organization to entertain it? Surely there is some sort of fiduciary responsibility there? (You have to read the article to understand this response, so go there first /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

08-29-2002, 07:40 PM
two things leap out. one, that the upa states that BB offered up this settlement only after the upa had closed negotiations. two, that BB is saying the players have to be at the open in order to get their payment.

sounds like the upa is only trying to cover their *ss after last year's fiasco, and BB still doesn't have enough to cover his.

08-29-2002, 07:44 PM
i would think CW is responsible enough to present all matters to the membership. why don't you ask robles if he was made aware of BB's latest offering?

08-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Arnie, it was my understanding that Charlie acts on behalf of his membership, not in concert with them. As the president of the UPA, however, he does have a fiduciary responsibility to act in their best interests. But then again, so do the board members of the WPBA......you're right, best not to go there. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Negociations were closed, by the UPA.. so they changed their mind about their previous 3+ months of sanctioning the US Open. Just because there timeframe wasn't met.

Who's being stubborn.. here..
There is still an event that will be held, and the UPA will not be part of it, but the players will.. and it will be televised and there won't be any mention of the UPA.. and I don't think anyone will miss CW not playing..

08-29-2002, 08:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
Who's being stubborn.. here..
There is still an event that will be held, and the UPA will not be part of it, but the players will.......
<hr></blockquote>

so then, the upa players will play, but the upa board won't sanction it??? sounds like a pride/who's got the loudest roar thing. and haven't we heard that in pool before.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Sadly true.. in the world of pool..

Its all about the money.. every event. The UPA and CW and the Board members are missing the boat.. a chance to really show that they can be leaders they instead follow the path traveled by the previous ruling bodies.. POWER PLAY.. or NO Play. Compromise was not an option.. it is all or nothing.. and that's what they got NOTHING

08-30-2002, 10:36 AM
looks to me that they are trying to set a standard by which other events should be judged in the future and that BB has been unable to meet that standard. I don't think the requests they've made were out of line - I think the basic situtation is that BB got the air barrel he deserved last year. Now he has to post up. He seems unwilling to do that and so the players that go and compete should go with their eyes open in that regard. That way if cheques bounce they have no one to blame but themselves.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Barry is posting up.. just as he said he would..

The players will be there.. all but one.. CW..

It hasn't been said.. but now I will.. the US Open is much bigger than the UPA. And it will stay that way.

08-30-2002, 02:35 PM
Maybe the players "should not sanction the UPA".

Voodoo Daddy
08-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Tap, tap, tap. BB and the Open has watched every "organized" entity come and go and has been the last man standing for decades. I hope the UPA wises up, they need the Open...the Open does not need the UPA!!