PDA

View Full Version : Age limits on pool

zooom101
08-29-2002, 07:41 PM
I was playing at my local hall one afternoon and was approached by another player who ran a league team. He asked me if I was interested in playing for his team. I told him that I was very interested, and he asked me to come out the next night and meet his team and see if I still want to play. The next night I was there and I played a few of his teammates and beat all of them. A while later he called me over and proceded to add me to his team roster. When he asked me my Date of birth, I told it to him.
He then asked me if I was 21 years old. I said no. I am only 19. He then told me that I couldnt play in that league unless I was 21. I asked him if there were any leagues in our area that allowed players under 21. He said that there weren't.
Since when are there age limits on Pool and Billiards? I cant believe that you cant play unless you are 21.
"Pool, Everybody's Game"
If there is anyone out there that is as upset about this as I am, SPEAK OUT! I would also appreciate any suggestions of leagues that dont require you to be 21 to enter.
Thanks,

zooom101

08-29-2002, 07:59 PM
I've never had a problem regarding my age eligibility for leagues. I'm also 19 and in a league in NYC. I've been around to a couple of places in New York, and none have ever had a problem with me joining.

08-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Zoom, the league you 'auditioned' for was probably sponsored by a beer company. That's the reason for the 21 and over policy. You cannot legally be in a bar to play, so you can't be on the team. Sorry. On the bright side, the BCA leagues don't have age restrictions, so if you can find one, you can play on it /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-29-2002, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: zooom101:</font><hr> Since when are there age limits on Pool and Billiards? I cant believe that you cant play unless you are 21.
<hr></blockquote>

it's his league to run. his rules. personally, it's nice to see.

SPetty
08-30-2002, 06:36 AM
The APA, American Poolplayer's Association, requires that you be 21 to join.

http://www.poolplayers.com/become_a_member.html

Rich R.
08-30-2002, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> The APA, American Poolplayer's Association, requires that you be 21 to join.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.poolplayers.com/become_a_member.html>http://www.poolplayers.com/become_a_member.html</a>
<hr></blockquote>
I believe the reason for the age requirement by the APA is that most of their leagues are in locations that serve alcohol. They also have major sponsors involved in the business of alcoholic beverages.
Rich R.

Doctor_D
08-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Good morning:

This, coupled with the fact that many state and local liquor laws do not permit underage patrons to even SIT at the bar or in the bar area. While rarely enforced by the establishment, they could be subject to fines and penalties for underage violations.

Dr. D.

stickman
08-30-2002, 07:14 AM
Most 19 year olds are proficient enough and mature enough to play, no doubt in my mind. I've played many of them at our pool hall. The problem is the locations that the matches are often played. In the league I played in last year, there were two private clubs with teams. These clubs do not allow persons under the age of 21. It's really unfortunate, because I know several young players under the age of 21 that would love to play, and that many teams would love to have.

Personally, I think the 21 year old drinking law is ridiculous. Not that I encourage drinking, but as long as it is legal, I see no reason not to allow 18 year olds to decide if they want to drink or not. If they are deemed mature enough to go and fight for our country, then they should be mature enough to make this decision. IMO