PDA

View Full Version : WHICH of these will be the story at the Open?

Soflasnapper
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
(Apologies to Countdown)

1) Mika's attempt for an unprecedented three-peat, breaking his current tie with Nick Varner as the only back-to-back winner in US Open history

2) The return of Captain Hook, the Mouth, Mike Sigel, to use his automatic paid entry as a former champion for the first time since the earlier '90s

3) The inclusion of women in the field

4) One or more women knocking Mike Sigel OUT OF THE TOURNEY!?!?!

5) First back-to-back winner of the CCB tourney

6) The welcome return of Rich and Kathy

7) The restraining order on so-called TD Eric, keeping him 100 yards from any pool table with balls on it, and/or gagged (!)

8) The rise of Florida's own third-place finisher last year to the victor's circle, having only lost hill-hill to the two finalists last year (sorry, temporarily blanking out his name)

9) Something else you'd care to mention?

Rich R.
09-23-2010, 04:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Apologies to Countdown)

1) Mika's attempt for an unprecedented three-peat, breaking his current tie with Nick Varner as the only back-to-back winner in US Open history

2) The return of Captain Hook, the Mouth, Mike Sigel, to use his automatic paid entry as a former champion for the first time since the earlier '90s

3) The inclusion of women in the field

4) One or more women knocking Mike Sigel OUT OF THE TOURNEY!?!?!

5) First back-to-back winner of the CCB tourney

6) The welcome return of Rich and Kathy

7) The restraining order on so-called TD Eric, keeping him 100 yards from any pool table with balls on it, and/or gagged (!)

8) The rise of Florida's own third-place finisher last year to the victor's circle, having only lost hill-hill to the two finalists last year (sorry, temporarily blanking out his name)

9) Something else you'd care to mention? </div></div>
Although I appreciate the stroke to my ego with item #6, I don't think that will be a big story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Your first three items all could definitely become the big story of the Open.

If Mika could possibly threepete, that would certainly overshaddow any other story in the pool world this year.

Per a story in the current BD magazine, Mike S. has cured a pinched nerve problem in his back and he is playing well. If he could come back and win the Open after all of these years, it would be truly amazing. Of course, he is now living in Md. and I will probably have to hear about it over and over and over and....

If any of the women playing in the Open can get into the top five, or possibly the finals, that will certainly grab its share of headlines and be a huge story. If a woman should win, that will totally shake up the pool world for the good.

Bambu
09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Win or lose, the women being included should be the top story. And, it's about time. The ladies have come a long way.

Soflasnapper
09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Just to be clear, as I understand it, Barry's been willing to let women play (and maybe they have played in the past), and the lack of women in recent times has been because the WPA wouldn't sanction any of their tour players to play in the event. That is, they were being kept out by the women's tour, not by the event's sponsor.

Now, Rich, I think number 6 may be more important than you realize (my name is Earl).

09-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey, some good things to ponder, Phil! Lemme see...

1. I would love to see Mika do it. Mika is playing a challenge match against Shane VB a couple of weeks before the Open. How he does there, may be an indicator of how he does in his quest to be the first 3peat.

2. Mike "Captain/Mouth" Sigel has been playing a few regional tours recently. I'm curious to see how he does.

3. Women in the Open? It's long overdue. Lets see how they do.

4. Or, knocking Earl out (by a woman)

5. This might be as big as Mika 3-peating

6. Rich and Kathy were missed last year.

7. I am the 2nd string TD. Unfortunately, our first string went down with an injury. If I am called into the game, again, I will play to the best of my abilities. Oh, 10 seconds, Phil... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

8. Will this be the year that Florida represents?

Eric

Fran Crimi
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know if what you're saying is true of recent years but I can assure you that for most of the years that the women didn't play it was because the mens's association demanded that the women join their association and give up their media rights to them. Barry was told that if he allowed the women to play wihout doing that then the men would boycott the U.S. Open, so he was forced by the men's association to choose between the two. Guess who he picked? If I were Barry I would have stood up to them and allowed the women to play sooner.

09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for hte insight, Fran.

Eric

dg-in-centralpa
09-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Fran,
Are the women giving up their rights this year? Are there any women going to play at the Open?

Duane

Fran Crimi
09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
I can tell you that there is no men's association making demands on the women this year. If the women can play, then I'm sure there is an arrangement worked out between Barry Behrman and the WPBA.

Fran

Soflasnapper
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Evil men's organization, shoulda known it!

Now, with no men's organization (but I repeat myself!), Barry can make nice and the WPBA can make nice. NICE!

I'll add another number to my list:

9. Do we get back ALL the Filipinos this year, or about half show up, like last year?

Fran Crimi
09-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I believe there is a men's association just getting started. So far they are not making demands on the women that I know of. Let's hope that everyone can all work together this time around.

Rich R.
09-25-2010, 07:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fran,
Are the women giving up their rights this year? Are there any women going to play at the Open?

Duane </div></div>
Duane, there are a number of women signed up to play in the Open.

Soflasnapper
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Is there any info on who is in the field re: the women and the missing Filipinos from last year?

Are the Filipino sponsor wars in a truce (I hope)?)

And will the former Women's Open winners from the past be offered a paid entry to the Open Open as the men are?

Scott Lee
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Mika could possibly threepete, that would certainly overshaddow any other story in the pool world this year.</div></div>

Rich...I will go out on a limb here, and wager that Mika will NOT three-peat this year's U.S. Open 9-Ball. Not that he's not a great player...I just don't think it will happen. Too many other great players.

Scott Lee

Rich R.
09-29-2010, 04:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Mika could possibly threepete, that would certainly overshaddow any other story in the pool world this year.</div></div>

Rich...I will go out on a limb here, and wager that Mika will NOT three-peat this year's U.S. Open 9-Ball. Not that he's not a great player...I just don't think it will happen. Too many other great players.

Scott Lee </div></div>
Scott, I have to agree with you. I was just picking what the big stories of the Open would be. A three-peat is definitely improbable, however, it is not impossible and, if it were to happen, it would certainly be the big story of the Open.

Icon of Sin
09-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Biggest story this year is gonna be me winning the ccb tourney instead of coming in second like last year /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icon of Sin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest story this year is gonna be me winning the ccb tourney instead of coming in second like last year /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
FAT CHANCE!!!
You forget, I will be there this year. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Soflasnapper
10-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Thank you for that, Rich, as I am a model of restraint.

Icon of Sin
10-01-2010, 09:02 AM
In all seriousness, I'm just ready for the good time it was last year...

Soflasnapper
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I'd Tucker rack you, but I've misplaced that book and don't remember how on the 10 ball rack, LOL!

Rich R.
10-02-2010, 06:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icon of Sin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In all seriousness, I'm just ready for the good time it was last year... </div></div>
Heath, you don't have to be serious. It is all in good fun.
This is the CCB Tournament and the woofing has begun. LOLOLOL

Brian in VA
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Is it really another week to go! Damn!

I'm in Chicago this week on business and just realized that next week I'll be heading to Chesapeake. The trophies are in my shop waiting for one more coat of finish, my game is its usual disaster, my liver has recovered from last year and I'm ready to start drinking again.....

See you all next week!

Brian in VA

Brian in VA
10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
The stories this year will be:

1. Mika nearly threepeats.
2. Mike Sigel doesn't go 2 and out.
3. Q Master's orders extra bourbon just in time for the CCB Tournament.
4. RJ gets a special award at the tournament.
5. I still don't win a trophy that I made. Phil's streak, likewise, remains intact.
6. The women give an excellent account of themselves with 2 finishing in the top 24.
7. Brandon Shuff finishes in the top 8.
8. Thank goodness Kathy and Rich return!

Looking forward to it!

Brian in VA