PDA

View Full Version : NJ Gov. Hiked taxes 4 Middle Class, Cut Txs 4 Rich

Gayle in MD
09-23-2010, 05:51 AM
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about those priorities. Middle-class families just lost their property tax rebates. Schools lost nearly $1 billion in funding, their biggest hit ever. Thousands of working poor families were closed out of health care programs. And our colleges and universities were whacked hard, forcing tuition hikes as the state scholarship programs run dry. The governor said those cuts were necessary because the state’s vaults were empty. He was the guy telling us to live within our means, to face hard realities. And now this — a tax cut that would blow a new hole in the budget.

</div></div>

Sev
09-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Awwwwwwww.

Shrinking the size of government would be a novel idea.

Chopstick
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Good. They are not entitled to public funds in the first place.

eg8r
09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He was the guy telling us to live within our means, to face hard realities. And now this — a tax cut that would blow a new hole in the budget.
</div></div>It looks like this guy is finally practicing what he preached. All those tax cuts were not because the state has billions in extra money sitting around. When the state runs out of money the cuts have to come somewhere. I am glad I am not the one responsible for making the decisions of where to cut.

eg8r

Deeman3
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM
This guy appears much too sane to stay in office for long. Perhaps he can do some good while there.

jimmyg
09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Wake up! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It's called fiscal responsibility and it results in a balanced budget.

J

hondo
09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Just curious, Chop. Where do you think the money comes from to pay teachers, provide meals, books, supplies, equipment, pay
maintenance, build schools,transportation, repairs, computers ?
Do you think that all this is financed by rich, loving Republican
businessmen in each county?

Gayle in MD
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good. They are not entitled to public funds in the first place. </div></div>

You didn't read the material available at the link.

This Governor, just like the Republican Party, is willing to increase the deficit in order to serve the wealthy with tax cuts they don't need, and increase the burden on those who are barely getting by.

IOW, Deficit spending is fine with Republicans, as long as only the wealthy benefit....

Republicans only fight for those who are filthy rich, or completely corrupt.

BP ring a bell?

pooltchr
09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, Chop. Where do you think the money comes from to pay teachers, provide meals, books, supplies, equipment, pay
</div></div>

I don't know about WV, but here is comes from city and county property taxes. That is a tax on property owners, which are probably made up of more higher income individuals, as the "rich" seem to pay more in property taxes than the "poor".

Steve

hondo
09-23-2010, 10:30 AM
You know, I wonder when compassion became a dirty word?
Altamont, perhaps? Is this when Woodstock Nation died and the Me Generation became the rule of thumb.

I'm always amused at how so many of the hard core Right wingers
claim to be old hippies who just woke up, matured, and
decided f**k my fellow man.

My guess is that they grew their hair fashionably long in the early 70s, smoked some dope, and decided they were old hippies.

To rejoice over tax cuts for the rich, while lauding actions
that hurt the common man shows a lack of humanity that is
just alien to me.

pooltchr
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Compasion is not a bad word. That's why conservatives tend to out-give liberals when it comes to charitable contributions.

Compassion is reaching into your own pocket to help someone, not reaching into someone else's pocket to do it.

Steve

hondo
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
LOL! I am indeed behind the 8 ball this time.
Steve has made a non-smarmy comment that I would love to address but if I do, the mob will be doing cartwheels rejoicing over
the fact that I broke my vow.

This time I agree. I am absolutely hoist by my own petar.
LOL!

Oh, well, perhaps someone else is knowledgable enough to address his comments.
I must suffer in silence.

DAMN!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Deeman3
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, Chop. Where do you think the money comes from to pay teachers, provide meals, books, supplies, equipment, pay
businessmen in each county? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Actually, that is about right as half the taxes are paid by the top 3% of the earners. Of course, we are getting ready to make that number higher when the tax cuts go away.

Did you think the poor paid for this stuff? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>

hondo
09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
You are missing my point.
In most non-wealthy counties in America, school funding
is largely funded by the state.

Even in counties where local funding is responsible, it still comes from taxes.

Do you think the wealthy would fund the schools if they weren't forced to?

In West Virginia bond issues are easily passed in Democratic counties and largely voted down by those "charitable" Republicans.

Might be just a coincidence, I guess.

BTW, thanks for giving me a chance to respond to somebody other than pooltchr on this issue. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

pooltchr
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Bond measures are nothing more than voters telling governments it's ok to borrow money. Maybe that's why the conservatives voted against it.

You are such a childish little twit.
Take off the skirt, put on some pants, man up and address me directly if you have something to say.
Or, continue to do your little girl thing.
Your choice.

Steve

jimmyg
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compassion is reaching into your own pocket to help someone, not reaching into someone else's pocket to do it.

Steve </div></div>

So simple, short, and accurate. Deserves to be read again....and still, many people will continue to reject it.

J

Gayle in MD
09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are missing my point.
In most non-wealthy counties in America, school funding
is largely funded by the state.

Even in counties where local funding is responsible, it still comes from taxes.

Do you think the wealthy would fund the schools if they weren't forced to?

In West Virginia bond issues are easily passed in Democratic counties and largely voted down by those "charitable" Republicans.

Might be just a coincidence, I guess.

BTW, thanks for giving me a chance to respond to somebody other than pooltchr on this issue. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

They probably all missed the point, because more than likely they didn't even read the link.

But then, what can be expected from a group who yap endlessly about deficit spending that helps those who have been most devastated by their own party's policies, while jumping with glee to give tax cuts to the very thieves who exploited the general public for over a decade, and drove so many other into the poverty levels, which expanded more rapidly under their years of control, than at any other time in contemporary history.

Republican Policies are behind all of our problems today, all of them. They threw the middle class into poverty, and now they want to whine about who isn't paying income taxes, because they are poverty strickened.

This, from the anti-union, illegal alien (RR's vast Cheap corporate Labor army) oursourcing, defending supporters of that war profiteering corporate pigs, and pushing for even more deregulation.

They want their cake and eat it too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G.

jimmyg
09-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Can anyone find rational fault with his position here, or how he presents it?

Just because public servants have a feeling of entitlement at the expense of their fellow citizens, doesn't make it so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkuTm-ON904

J

Chopstick
09-23-2010, 01:37 PM

There is no income tax in Tennessee or Florida. They do just fine without one. The "State" as an entity needs to go away. It is a failure at all levels. Centralized monolithic systems are no longer viable. We learned that in the computer industry back in the eighties. Take the internet for example. That is a distributed environment consisting of thousands upon thousands of processing nodes. The internet would not be possible if we all had to log into a large central server. There is no system on earth that could handle the traffic. There is no central authority that governs the internet. There is one small agency that assigns and tracks IP addresses. That's it.

Years ago Sun used to have a saying, "The network is the computer". Is there anything in government that runs as well, or serves the needs of the people as well as the internet? The concept of a large central government is as much of a dinosaur as the old mainframe computer. Government has become "too big to succeed". It creates more problems than it solves and is a burden, not a benefit to the people that it was created to serve.

Our elected officials look at the internet and say uhh let's tax it. TAX IT! What are they? Neanderthals. Is that the best they can think of? They don't need to tax it. They need to copy it. Scrap the old centralized system and replace it with a distributed system like the internet. 95% of the federal government is absolutely useless. Why are we paying for something that obviously does not work?

Take the power and responsibility away from the state and federal governments and put it back into the hands of local communities and individuals. That's community organizing.

Sev
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Hey Chopstick.
TN does not have a school tax either.
Unlike in NY all proceeds from the state lottery go to the school system. Amazing how well that words when money actually goes to where is was intended to in the first place.

Total taxes for the house and property are 625.00 a year. Because we have 2 nuclear power plants our electric bill is as low as 50.00 a month.
Typical cost of living is much lower as well. 18,500 of buying power in TN is the equivalent of 50,000 in NY.

Loving it.

hondo
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compassion is reaching into your own pocket to help someone, not reaching into someone else's pocket to do it.

Steve </div></div>

So simple, short, and accurate. Deserves to be read again....and still, many people will continue to reject it.

J </div></div>

If it was actually true of those spouting it, less folks might reject it.
If I read one more response praising the generosity of conservatives, I'm gonna puke.
It might be true. It's certainly true of my church who are mainly moderate Republicans, but it's not true of the clan on these forums.
Generous? Where? They're like hyenas. Shouting down those of other opinions with hate and ridicule, and showing zero tolerance to the working poor.

hondo
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Did any of my comments about funding for public schools sink into you or are you totally a closed book like your buds on here?

hondo
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Tennessee:

Tennessee has no state income tax and is dependent on sales and use taxes and
property taxes to fund public education.
Tennessee’s system of funding with sales tax was found to be inadequate and
inequitable by the state Supreme Court in Tennessee Small School Systems v.
McWherter, 851 S.W. 2nd 139 (Tenn. 1993). The state is not wealthy; it has rural
counties with child poverty rates among the highest in the nation. For example,
Hancock County’s child poverty rate was 49.9% in the 1990 U.S. Census Report.
Hancock County was used as an example in a small school system lawsuit against
the state and subsequent ruling that the state’s method of funding education as
unconstitutional paved the way for the BEP.
The BEP was designed to embody the concepts of adequacy and equity of
education funding. Adequacy of funding programs is determined through the
annual application of inflation and reevaluation of unit costs based on actual
expenditures. Equity in funding is established through fiscal equalization among
the local education agencies.
The BEP, including improvements, accounts for approximately 90.7% of the
recommended state allocation for K–12 public education. The remaining K–12
education funds are designated for curriculum and instruction, driver education,
adult and community education, technical assistance and administration, and
special schools.
After five years of graduated funding, full funding for the BEP was reached
during the 1997–98 school year. Tennessee has provided more than $1 billion in
new state funds for local school system budgets since the 1992 passage of the
Education Improvement Act, including funds for teachers’ salaries, technology
and other school improvements.

hondo
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Florida:

The Florida charter school law requires that school districts provide charter schools with a proportional share of the state and local monies available to the county school district for daily operating costs. This includes the state monies received by the district from the Florida Education Finance Program (FEFP), which is the program created by the legislature for financing all public schools. Also included are monies provided by the legislature for specific purposes provided that the charter school meets the conditions for use of these monies. Charter schools also proportionally share local taxes that go to school districts for daily operating purposes. This includes the taxes required by state law as the local share of the FEFP and the taxes that county school boards are allowed by law to decide to raise for operating purposes.

hondo
09-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 2:58 p.m.
( page of 2 )

ORLANDO, Fla. — Just a few years ago, Camelot Elementary was overrun with students. Portable classrooms took up the basketball court and baseball diamonds, and 1,320 children were being educated on a campus built for 740.

Today? 700 students, and all those portables are gone.

But gone with them is the vital tax revenue that came with those families crowding into Florida earlier in the decade. More families are leaving Florida now than coming in, and on average, public schools started the year with $418 per student less than last year. Cash-strapped districts are being forced to close campuses, cut school days and limit services.

In addition, they could see another spike in new students — this time from private school kids whose parents are trying to save their own cash.

"We are on the brink of financial disaster when it comes to funding these schools," added Linda Kobert, a leader in the group Fund Education, which last month joined a lawsuit against the state over school funding.

Florida officials face at least two lawsuits alleging lawmakers are violating a constitutional provision requiring a "high quality" education for children.

State economists expect the financial pain to continue at least the next three years. That will hurt all services, including public education.

Meetings this fall revealed lawmakers would need to come up with $2.6 billion next year just to maintain "critical" needs like education and health care at their current scaled-back levels.

The schools have already cut spending. At Camelot, the guidance counselor is gone, along with the music teacher and music classes

hondo
09-23-2010, 04:07 PM
SCHOOL FUNDING
Governor Bush is committed to ensuring Florida�s public schools receive the funding necessary to provide a high quality education. Since Governor Bush took office, Florida public schools have received historic increases in per student funding.

????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LWW
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are missing my point.</div></div>

Actually the problem is that you don't have a point.

LWW

pooltchr
09-23-2010, 06:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are missing my point.</div></div>

Actually the problem is that you don't have a point.

LWW </div></div>

I think he may have just set a new personal record. Six posts in a row, with absolutely no point to any of them!

Steve

jimmyg
09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compassion is reaching into your own pocket to help someone, not reaching into someone else's pocket to do it. Steve </div></div>

So simple, short, and accurate. Deserves to be read again....and still, many people will continue to reject it. J </div></div>

If it was actually true of those spouting it, less folks might reject it.
If I read one more response praising the generosity of conservatives, I'm gonna puke.
It might be true. It's certainly true of my church who are mainly moderate Republicans, but it's not true of the clan on these forums.
Generous? Where? They're like hyenas. Shouting down those of other opinions with hate and ridicule, and showing zero tolerance to the working poor. </div></div>

Reread my post and show me where I limit my statement to, or make the distinction between, or even mention, conservatives, republicans, or Martians, and any other political, or religous group. The remark stands, and applies to all.

Why must you reduce every topic into a "democratic and republican" issue? Whereas right and wrong, good and bad, is completely determined based upon which side of the political aisle you stand? Too biased and irrational to be taken seriously. IMO.

J

hondo
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I love how every one of your posts is a partisan attack
yet you deny that is the case.
You appear to be very similar to LWW. A neo-con pseudo-Libertarian. Just my honest observation.
I'm sure you'll dispute that.

jimmyg
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how every one of your posts is a partisan attack yet you deny that is the case.
You appear to be very similar to LWW. A neo-con pseudo-Libertarian. Just my honest observation.
I'm sure you'll dispute that. </div></div>

Your honesty is really fantasy, only a reflection of exactly what you are looking for, nothing to do with honestly, or reality.

J

Qtec
09-24-2010, 01:43 AM
The conduct of the GOP and the manufacture of the various TPs etc shows who has the power. This hissy fit about the need to give 700B to the top 2% - while at the same time opposing unemployment benefit extensions for those suffering from the present crisis is bizzaro stuff to anyone who can add.

The GOP are supposed to represent 50 % of the pop but do they? It seems to me they exclude the 48% to please the rich.

Q

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 04:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, Chop. Where do you think the money comes from to pay teachers, provide meals, books, supplies, equipment, pay

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Actually, that is about right as half the taxes are paid by the top 3% of the earners. Of course, we are getting ready to make that number higher when the tax cuts go away.

Did you think the poor paid for this stuff? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span> </div></div>

You've got that backwards, you already made that number higher, satistics prove it. Bush and your party, threw more people into proverty than we've seen since the Great Depression.

Now, the idiotic Tea Partiers, want to do away with SS, medicare, and even the VA!

You gun toting folks will finally get what you've been pushing for all along, a chance to pull out those guns, and have your civil war.

Maybe you guys can call up some of those corporations that have been outsourcing American jobs, with subsidies from Bush et al, for years, and they will help you to deal with all of the desperate folks that will be flowing into the streets, when your party ends SS, Medicare, and the VA.

BTW, where the hell does Chop think Florida would be right now, if the Federal Government hadn't been flooding money in there, holding that state together, seemingly through eternity, everytime they get blown away from a hurricane???

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Talk is cheap.</span>
G.

LWW
09-24-2010, 04:57 AM
H has no clue at the intellectual level what the words "NEOCON" or "LIBERTARIAN" or "PSEUDO" actually mean.

The fact that he may actually have been "ENGLISH TEACHER OF THE YEAR" is among the most damning indictments of public education that I have ever witnessed.

He comes across as being, in reality, nothing more than a low level party agitprop charged with disseminating the party line "TRUTH" to our unsuspecting youth.

LWW

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 05:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The conduct of the GOP and the manufacture of the various TPs etc shows who has the power. This hissy fit about the need to give 700B to the top 2% - while at the same time opposing unemployment benefit extensions for those suffering from the present crisis is bizzaro stuff to anyone who can add.

The GOP are supposed to represent 50 % of the pop but do they? It seems to me they exclude the 48% to please the rich.

Q </div></div>

There is no question about that, Q. That's why when they had all of the power, this country went into the ditch, while the rich had a field day.

LMAO!!! Yesterday, they unraveled their big "Plan For Ameriica" Went to a small business in Virginia, a lumber yard, I think, for their big presentation of their "Plan" which was the same "Plan" that drove the country into a ditch! HA HA HA...

The "Plan" was written by three lobbyists from three huge corporations, AIG....??? LMAO, then they went straight back to the Senate, and voted in a block against the tax cuts, and loan benefits for small business.

Their Health Car Plan, is exactly the same things in the one we already have, which the Democratics put together, and the Republicans all voted against.

They looked utterly ridiculous in their shirts, and no jackets, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif yesterday. I was laughing my butt off, Boehner trying to look like the common man, with his country club tan.! Reminded me of one of Bush's photo ops, in one of his costumes!

Mission Accomplished!!!!

Republican$ HA HA HA...Mission Accomplished.

G.

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 05:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SCHOOL FUNDING
Governor Bush is committed to ensuring Florida�s public schools receive the funding necessary to provide a high quality education. Since Governor Bush took office, Florida public schools have received historic increases in per student funding.

????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
</div></div>

If it weren't for the Federal Goverrnment, Floriduh would have been blown over to the Bahamas by now, BWA HA HA HA...

Remember all of them whining for the Feds, when their beloved OIL was flowing into the Gulf. They didn't send any of it back, I notice. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Talk is cheap! </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 05:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good. They are not entitled to public funds in the first place. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yeah, and if they get hungry, they can chop up that pig in the Governor's mansion, and feed the whole state for a year. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As the new Forbes billionaires list, released Wednesday, testifies, the richest Americans are getting richer, even as the country as a whole gets poorer. After 2005 income inequality continued to balloon.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Where would Floridah be without all of those FEDERALLY funded bridges, and Federally funded restored shorelines, and Federal money flowing in there every time Floriduh gets blown into the ocean?

Get Real Chop. You've been blinded by the Tea Pary Queen's lip gloss.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
09-24-2010, 06:26 AM
An excellent post, Gayle. Bite em in the ass with truth.

BTW, have you noticed that as I continue to not respond to the 3 amigos, how angry they are getting?

LWWs latest rant and attack about what a poor teacher I must have been, sounds like the pathetic whinings of a jilted lover.

Those 3 have tried every insult they can think of to drag me back in.
They remind me of junkies going through withdrawal.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 06:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BTW, have you noticed that as I continue to not respond to the 3 amigos, how angry they are getting?

</div></div>

And you feel the need to keep telling everyone how you are ignoring some posters. Let's think about that for a minute. If it was making a significant impact on anyone, they would probably notice. But if nobody even cares what you do, then your efforts are probably not being recognized.
So keep telling everyone how you are ignoring those who would enlighten you....and remember that ignore is the root of ignorance.

Steve

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 07:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An excellent post, Gayle. Bite em in the ass with truth.

LWWs latest rant and attack about what a poor teacher I must have been, sounds like the pathetic whinings of a jilted lover.

Those 3 have tried every insult they can think of to drag me back in.
They remind me of junkies going through withdrawal. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Toddlers! Let them live in their illusions, they're beyond ignorant. They can't stand it when we don't slurp up their banning bait!

Imagine!!!! Wolfdancer being banned for all this time, while all of the vitrolic attacks from Steve, LWW, and the rest of the AZBAN on here continue to post solely to insult others, continue with their stalking and slander, insults, and degrading attacks with no abandon, not just here, but over on the AZ forum!

They have full support for their attacks, apparently.

G.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 08:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Imagine!!!! Wolfdancer being banned for all this time, while all of the vitrolic attacks from Steve, LWW, and the rest of the AZBAN on here continue /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

How are you aware of these so-called attacks if you have everyone on "total ignore"? Do you get a daily spoon feeding from your secret agents? That is, after all, how you get most of your information!

Steve

Gayle in MD
09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tennessee:

Tennessee has no state income tax and is dependent on sales and use taxes and
property taxes to fund public education.
Tennessee’s system of funding with sales tax was found to be inadequate and
inequitable by the state Supreme Court in Tennessee Small School Systems v.
McWherter, 851 S.W. 2nd 139 (Tenn. 1993). The state is not wealthy; it has rural
counties with child poverty rates among the highest in the nation. For example,
Hancock County’s child poverty rate was 49.9% in the 1990 U.S. Census Report.
Hancock County was used as an example in a small school system lawsuit against
the state and subsequent ruling that the state’s method of funding education as
unconstitutional paved the way for the BEP.
The BEP was designed to embody the concepts of adequacy and equity of
education funding. Adequacy of funding programs is determined through the
annual application of inflation and reevaluation of unit costs based on actual
expenditures. Equity in funding is established through fiscal equalization among
the local education agencies.
The BEP, including improvements, accounts for approximately 90.7% of the
recommended state allocation for K–12 public education. The remaining K–12
education funds are designated for curriculum and instruction, driver education,
adult and community education, technical assistance and administration, and
special schools.
After five years of graduated funding, full funding for the BEP was reached
during the 1997–98 school year. Tennessee has provided more than $1 billion in
new state funds for local school system budgets since the 1992 passage of the
Education Improvement Act, including funds for teachers’ salaries, technology
and other school improvements. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">lol...typical RW BS. there is nothing charitable about the right.

Here's an op ed that show their charitable nature....It's a year later, and they're still lying about HC reform, which will save over 65,0000 lives a year! CEO's don't like it, but they also won't get up off their out of range, off the charts, wealth redistrubutive, salaries and bonuses! </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KRUGMAN
Published: October 4, 2009

There was what President Obama likes to call a teachable moment last week, when the International Olympic Committee rejected Chicago’s bid to be host of the 2016 Summer Games.

“Cheers erupted” at the headquarters of the conservative Weekly Standard, according to a blog post by a member of the magazine’s staff, with the headline “Obama loses! Obama loses!” Rush Limbaugh declared himself “gleeful.” “World Rejects Obama,” gloated the Drudge Report. And so on.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>So what did we learn from this moment? For one thing, we learned that the modern conservative movement, which dominates the modern Republican Party, has the emotional maturity of a bratty 13-year-old.

But more important, the episode illustrated an essential truth about the state of American politics: at this point, the guiding principle of one of our nation’s two great political parties is spite pure and simple. If Republicans think something might be good for the president, they’re against it — whether or not it’s good for America.

To be sure, while celebrating America’s rebuff by the Olympic Committee was puerile, it didn’t do any real harm. But the same principle of spite has determined Republican positions on more serious matters, with potentially serious consequences — in particular, in the debate over health care reform.</span>
Now, it’s understandable that many Republicans oppose Democratic plans to extend insurance coverage — just as most Democrats opposed President Bush’s attempt to convert Social Security into a sort of giant 401(k). The two parties do, after all, have different philosophies about the appropriate role of government.

But the tactics of the two parties have been different. In 2005, when Democrats campaigned against Social Security privatization, their arguments were consistent with their underlying ideology: they argued that replacing guaranteed benefits with private accounts would expose retirees to too much risk.

The Republican campaign against health care reform, by contrast, has shown no such consistency. For the main G.O.P. line of attack is the claim — based mainly on lies about death panels and so on — that reform will undermine Medicare. And this line of attack is utterly at odds both with the party’s traditions and with what conservatives claim to believe.

Think about just how bizarre it is for Republicans to position themselves as the defenders of unrestricted Medicare spending. First of all, the modern G.O.P. considers itself the party of Ronald Reagan — and Reagan was a fierce opponent of Medicare’s creation, warning that it would destroy American freedom. (Honest.) In the 1990s, Newt Gingrich tried to force drastic cuts in Medicare financing. And in recent years, Republicans have repeatedly decried the growth in entitlement spending — growth that is largely driven by rising health care costs.

But the Obama administration’s plan to expand coverage relies in part on savings from Medicare. And since the G.O.P. opposes anything that might be good for Mr. Obama, it has become the passionate defender of ineffective medical procedures and overpayments to insurance companies.

How did one of our great political parties become so ruthless, so willing to embrace scorched-earth tactics even if so doing undermines the ability of any future administration to govern?

The key point is that ever since the Reagan years, the Republican Party has been dominated by radicals — ideologues and/or apparatchiks who, at a fundamental level, do not accept anyone else’s right to govern.

Anyone surprised by the venomous, over-the-top opposition to Mr. Obama must have forgotten the Clinton years. Remember when Rush Limbaugh suggested that Hillary Clinton was a party to murder? When Newt Gingrich shut down the federal government in an attempt to bully Bill Clinton into accepting those Medicare cuts? And let’s not even talk about the impeachment saga.

The only difference now is that the G.O.P. is in a weaker position, having lost control not just of Congress but, to a large extent, of the terms of debate. The public no longer buys conservative ideology the way it used to; the old attacks on Big Government and paeans to the magic of the marketplace have lost their resonance. Yet conservatives retain their belief that they, and only they, should govern.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The result has been a cynical, ends-justify-the-means approach. Hastening the day when the rightful governing party returns to power is all that matters, so the G.O.P. will seize any club at hand with which to beat the current administration.

It’s an ugly picture. But it’s the truth. And it’s a truth anyone trying to find solutions to America’s real problems has to understand. </span> </div></div>

Repiglicans will never change. They are just heartless, lying, greedy people. The ME generation.

G.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Wrong again, Gaylo.

http://richiericher.wordpress.com/2008/0...e-conservatism/ (http://richiericher.wordpress.com/2008/02/01/arthur-brooks-who-really-cares-the-surprising-truth-about-compassionate-conservatism/)

Brooks himself thought there might be an error in the numbers so he rechecked them. There was no denying the facts. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>Conservative Republicans, (who some argue would fire their grandmother to improve profitability) are statistically more charitable (more than 30% more charitable) compared to their “socially concerned” liberal democratic friends.</span> Don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like this, read the book and see the statistics for yourself. Just the facts here…

So how could this be you are asking yourself? Well the findings point right to the heart of the perceptions that “secular liberal democrats are more socially concerned than religious conservative republicans”. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>It turns out that the secular liberals (the Democrats) belive that it’s the job of the government to take care of the poor </span>(no surprise here yet) and are<span style='font-size: 17pt'> more in favor of “income redistribution”, taxing and redistributing resources from those who have money to those who are poor.</span> Socially leaning political views have actually taken the place of their charitable contributions. Brooks’s research shows that regardless of which political party was actually in office or how effective politicians were in their policies toward the poor, that the<span style='font-size: 20pt'> religious conservative Republicans consistently gave more than their secular liberal Democrat counterparts</span>.

Give it up, Gaylo...you can't hide from the truth, no matter how much you don't like it.

Steve

Deeman3
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
If you remember we went through this a couple of years ago. The Dems are charitable just with others people's money. They want other people to pay taxes (see Obama Cabinet) and even like to charge for replacing Senators with them being determined by the biggest donor to the Governor of the State (Blogoyavich come sot mind here).

If you remember, this was outside of church contributions leaving a lot or room inthe gap between conservatives and the left in giving.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes we did. But it seems some of our friends continue to ignore the fact, and actually claim just the opposite.

Steve

hondo
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Yep. If I get the boot while they are calling me every name in the book, that'll tell us everything we need to know.

hondo
09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Lol! Steve and LWW were afraid to read my posts yet accused me of posting nothing of significance.
And they wonder why I no longer answer them.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol! Steve and LWW were afraid to read my posts yet accused me of posting nothing of significance.
And they wonder why I no longer answer them. </div></div>
\
Wrong again Honduh. Your posts are always good for a laugh!

Steve