PDA

View Full Version : !st Tournament

jht1953
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I am entering my First 8 ball tournament (actually first tournament ever) can anyone tell me what to expect, how to get a grip on the nerves etc.

Thanks
John

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Go, play pool. Play your best and have fun. You don't have to impress anyone, so there is really no reason to be nervous.
Only one person in the whole tournament is going to win it. Whether or not it is you isn't important.

Have fun, and learn something about yourself, your game, your competition.

Have fun.

Did I mention Have Fun?

Steve

09-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, unless you've competed in other sports, you will be a victim of nerves.

Best I can suggest is to try to regulate your breathing; take even, full breaths, not small, quick ones. Also, when you are ready to shoot a ball, concentrate on the ball and don't be distracted by stray thoughts or by sounds that are around you. Just make the ball.

Eric

Rich R.
09-25-2010, 07:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jht1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am entering my First 8 ball tournament (actually first tournament ever) can anyone tell me what to expect, how to get a grip on the nerves etc.

Thanks
John </div></div>
As others have said, have fun. Pool is a game and games are supposed to be fun.

Just keep telling yourself, it ain't brain surgery and it isn't a life or death situation. After all, we know pool is much more important that all of that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'd rather play pool and lose, than not play pool at all.

Soflasnapper
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Here's an unusual bit of advice.

Assume you'll most likely lose, either 2 and out if it's double elimination, or your only game, if it is single elimination.

Why? Because everyone except one person ends up losing this tournament, and since it is your first one ever, you probably don't have the necessary experience to do better than that.

With this realistic expectation in mind so that you aren't crushed by defeat, now plan to beat 'the line' and see if you can do better than expected, while realizing what you see and experience in your game(s) is exactly what you need so that you can do well in tournament play.

There is really no substitute for the experience, and no alternative than to dive in and take the plunge.

Bon chance!