PDA

View Full Version : COULD SCOTT FROST BE POOL'S SAVIOR?

08-30-2002, 07:44 AM
just think about it for a sec....

pool is in a dismal state as a sport right now, right? i'm talking men's pool, not women's. no tv contract, no big tour like back in the day. no big tournaments all over the country like back in buddy's day with johnson city and dayton. it is has more of a cult following than in the mainstream. it needs something to make it appealing to an audience, a new audience, a younger audience.

so who would be better than scott?

i know what you're thinking...corey, rodney, jeremy jones, etc....

scott has one thing these guys aint got----charisma!

scott is the man. he talks a MILE of sh*t and bets high! shannon used to do the same thing when he was younger but now, even though he isnt even 30, he has "grown up" i guess you could say. i think his father's death had a lot to do with that.

anyways, i think scott could do for pool what tiger did for golf.

now, scott aint even in tiger's league when it comes to dominance and greatness, but who is. that aint why i am comparing them. i am saying look at how the golf audience has changed in the past five years. it is like a whole new game. it was because tiger was so appealing to us (i am in that age demographic).

rackmup
08-30-2002, 08:06 AM
Scott...if you're "listening", I am sorry to hear about your Father's passing. I know he was ill about the time I moved from Arizona but sort of lost touch with the Arizona pool scene since arriving here in Texas.

I have always thought highly of you and your ability over the table, regardless of your unwarranted reputation as a "talker" (hey...at your level, that's just part of the game.) God bless you, Angel and Rick. I think of all of you often.

Regards,

Ken

=k=
08-30-2002, 08:35 AM
hello ken!
there was a great write up in newspaper about scott the other day.. k

cuechick
08-30-2002, 08:48 AM
You may be right, he sure is cute. He smiled at me in Vegas and said hi. I about melted. He and Alex Lely are the two boy babes of pool!

rackmup
08-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Which newspaper and what day?

Ken

Vapros
08-30-2002, 10:11 AM
I find this sorta sad. Can pool be 'saved' by the guy who talks the most and bets the highest? This is why we aren't going anywhere. Let's recognize some facts of life about our favorite game and work within them. Happily, we can still play, but we should quit trying to figure out why the networks aren't lined up outside the door. We have met the enemy and it's us.

Get the balls, and I'll play you some one-pocket. Race to 54 for the time and a big sandwich. Let's move on and enjoy what pool has for us. It's a great game.

08-30-2002, 01:18 PM
shannon's father is the one who passed.

08-30-2002, 02:08 PM
I've knowen Scott for many of years, by all means he is a multi-faceted person. Charismatic, most definately! Moral, can't say I would ever want to be in any relationship of personal nature with the guy. Around the pool hall he's great for stirin' up action and envoken emotion out of all. I'm not one to right or wrong anyone, but one thing is for sure he is a real person and lets everyone see that.
Best of luck Scott, Keep reelin' em in!
And as far as pool needing a savior, that it does not need. Some decent people who are willing to take a nobel approach advocating for the players and promoting events, yes. Take a good look at the pool and billiard industry today as opposed to 10,20,30, and 40 years ago. In 1960 how many women and minorities played in tournaments? Hell, how many were even welcome into rooms? And as far as the rooms were concerned there wasn't nearly as many, they were dangerous much of the time, seedy and poorly lit. Now many of the pool halls are unreal! and back in the days of Johnson City, think about it, the tournaments were far and few between, so of course the turn out is going to be incredable. Now, you can participate in a tournament 7 days a week if you choose, every region has some sort of tour generally holding 6-12 events a year.
So instead of getting all hung up on the negative, and keeping it alive and fresh in everyones mind, do something if you don't like what is already being done. a woman -ontheroad

=k=
08-30-2002, 02:08 PM
hi ken the arizona republic wed. aug 28 page e7 saving it.. k

rackmup
08-30-2002, 03:45 PM
Condolences to Shannon's family and apologies to Scott's for thinking it was his Dad (who I know was ill) that passed away.

Ken

rackmup
08-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Found it! See below:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Arizona Republic, Aug 28th, 2002:</font><hr>
Pool pro banks on sharp image,
Phoenix whiz wants a clean sport

By Megan Finnerty
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 28, 2002

With his close-cropped hair, handsome, freckled face and shy smile, Scott Frost doesn't look like a pool shark.

He lacks the stereotypical tattoos, the greasy hair, the cigarette dangling from his lower lip.

Instead, the 27-year-old Phoenix resident sports hip Sean John jeans and an Ecko Unlimited polo shirt.

Of the more than 500 professional players ranked on www.AZBilliards.com (http://www.AZBilliards.com), Frost comes in at No. 128. He's made $5,586 so far this year in tournaments, far less than top-ranked Earl Strickland's $77,600.

But Frost says he doesn't care about winning tournaments. With only about six major contests a year, and hundreds of entrants in each, he says the opportunity to support himself by professional play is too limited, the winnings too small.

Besides, if everyone knew how good he was, no one would play him.

Betting is legal between two players, and Frost says he spent $20,000 on airline tickets last year, flying from city to city to take on the world's best players. He says he earned enough money to live comfortably.

Notice the meaty diamond earring, the heavy gold chain, the Cadillac.

While nine ball has soared in popularity, with tournaments featured regularly on ESPN, Frost has supported himself for the past 10 years playing one pocket. It's a two-man, 15-ball game in which players score by hitting balls only into a particular pocket.

Frost says he once played one pocket for 40 hours to win $5,000. Another time he played for 48 hours to win $60,000.

"It's like chess, a lot of defense and maneuvering," he says. "Nine ball is a lot of luck. I don't enjoy that. I want to guarantee my winning."

One pocket is not well known because games can last for hours, if not days - it's not a viewer-friendly sport. But it's the game to play for the sport's elite, says Jimmy Langston, two-time state one pocket champion and owner of the Rack &amp; Q pool hall in Tempe, where Frost practices daily.

"Scott came into town and started playing everybody, and beat a lot of people out of a lot of money," Langston says. "There's no one in Arizona that could beat him. And probably only four people in the world who could.

"He knows how to bank like God."

To bank means to bounce a ball off the cushion during a shot.

Frost began playing when he was 15. In his first game, a man beat him out of $22.

"After that guy took that little bit of money from me, it drove me crazy," he says. "I wanted to get it back; I was hooked."

Even though he was initially kicked out of the pool hall for being too young, he went back again and again until the owner realized he was committed.

Frost was so smitten with the dull click of the balls, the thrill of the win and the rough brush of the felt that he would sneak out of his parents' home in Des Moines, Iowa, to play pool until dawn.

His mom disapproved, so he moved in with a girlfriend - who also disapproved. But he didn't care, and until he graduated from high school, he played pool 10 hours a day, every day.

"I just loved the game and couldn't get enough of it," he says.

Frost is still a young man in a sport where players typically peak at 35, but with his rising profile in the professional ranks, Frost's backroom gambling days may be numbered. He says he wants to encourage other young people to pick up cue sticks.

While TV exposure helps raise the sport's profile, pool is still plagued by stereotypes of violence, drug use and alcoholism. Frost hopes to change that by providing a clean-cut image for the sport and by opening his own family-friendly pool hall someday. He says the only way the sport will survive is if children have a safe, fun place to play it in.

Langston sees the sport changing as more players like Frost emerge in the upper ranks.

"Pool ain't like it used to be," he says. "Used to be fights and gambling. These younger players understand the etiquette of the game. They know when you lose money, you be a good sport about it. They shake hands and go home - there ain't all the arguing and fighting like in the old days."<hr></blockquote>

Q-guy
08-30-2002, 04:00 PM
I didn't know pool was in a dismal state. Seem to me it is bigger and better then ever. Those good old days you refer to were not so good. Johnston City was a three week tournament with no prize money and everyone left town broke. Same with the Joe Burns tournaments in Dayton. I am glad I was there, but it was not something that would have appealed to the general public and did little for the sport in general. Few people even in those days ever heard of the tournaments.

08-30-2002, 04:48 PM
It's just one guy's opinion, but there's a good deal about Scott Frost that stands for what's wrong with pool. He's arrogant, cold, and impossibly greedy. The fact that he runs his mouth and bets high is of interest only to those who follow high-stakes pool gambling, for whatever reason; there's something immensely dislikable about him, even at a distance, and IMO the masses wouldn't take to his act at all. I understand he's the son of a banking executive, too; wonder how you go about informing your white-collar family about your decision re life's work. GF

Vagabond
08-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Howdy,
The one thing he has that other players do not have is a pretty girl friend who also plays very good pool. cheers
vagabond

NH_Steve
08-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Sounds to me like Scott Frost is putting an appealing young face to the One Pocket game. Kind of like Shannon Daulton talent, but more of a poster boy? (Never having seen him.) The more young players that get in to One Pocket the better, IMO... Does he play an exciting style of 1P like Daulton? Or is he winning in the Allen Hopkins/Nick Varner grueling efficiency mode?? What do those of you who have seen him say???

Voodoo Daddy
08-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Scott is a tough customer. I have played next to him at the '99 US Open 1-pocket Tournament and sweated his action at the Derby...he lacks nothing in his game, seems to have some heart and will play {from what I saw} anyone with a pulse.

rackmup
08-31-2002, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: George Fels:</font><hr>He's arrogant, cold, and impossibly greedy.<hr></blockquote>

Mr. Fels...you've just described 2/3rds of the Professional ranks...of all sports!

I have to defend Scott as I DO know him and you do not. As a friend, he's as sincere as they come. Ask for advice on your game or how to make a particular shot and he willingly helps.

The "woofing" and "gamesmanship" is part of his (and other's) "Game Face". It's how he earns a living and can no more be faulted for that and how he does it than A-Rod can for earning $250 million for playing a kid's game and threatening to strike when all doesn't come his way.

To pass judgement on a man you don't know, other than to have seen him play on occasion isn't your job...that task belongs to a "higher authority" (and I am sure he too, respects Scott's game and is capable of forgiving his foibles.)

Regards and with great respect to Mr. Fels,

Ken

08-31-2002, 09:24 AM
IMO your comments are eminently fair, Ken, and you're right in that you know him and I do not. But I was basing my opinion as just another spectator, in response to the proposal that Frost would be an ideal ambassador for the game. There is little question in my mind that my opinion is shared by a great many others. If you enjoy his company/friendship, that's entirely up to you and there is no force on this earth that could persuade me to intrude upon that. But as a reasonably knowledgable pool fan observing a star player, I'm staying with my original impression, and aside from his ability, I don't like what I see. GF

OnePocketChamp
08-31-2002, 09:53 AM
I came to discover One Hole about a year ago at a Click's in Arlington. It is a game of chess played on a pool table and takes hours of play to understand each element of the game from the opening, to the middle game and lastly the end game. Learning when to go on offense or passing on a shot to clear your opponents pocket of balls and improve your table position is a discipline that takes patience and dedication to the pure essense of the game. There is no better game in pool (my opinion) that teaches you the value of "whitey" control and the absolute importance of a well executed defensive shot. I agree that it is not a well received viewer sport, but to play the game becomes a passion.

08-31-2002, 12:11 PM
Steve,

Scott plays a fairly aggressive game of one-pocket. Much more aggressive than Varner, but not as aggressive as Ronnie Allen, IMO. At the Derby City classic he managed to beat Varner in a race to three fairly handily. However, the two matched up later for some cheap per game 1-hole, and Varner swept the floor with him. Although flash is fun to watch, I really like the methodical and tactical play of Varner and Parica. Joyner seems to incorporate both...he has the most imaginative style...and perhaps the most aggressive.

While I enjoy watching a great game of one-pocket, I did not particularly like watching Frost play. As others have mentioned, he comes across as particularly arrogant and cocky.

Regards,

Doug

Troy
08-31-2002, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: George Fels:</font><hr>He's arrogant, cold, and impossibly greedy.<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rackmup:</font><hr>
Mr. Fels...you've just described 2/3rds of the Professional ranks...of all sports! <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately Ken, I think that describes more like 90-95% of all Professional ranks..... And a whole bunch of Semi-Pro's.....

Troy

NH_Steve
08-31-2002, 02:59 PM
Welcome aboard /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Great to see more young sharp shooters getting into one pocket!
Another nice thing about 1P is that you might excel at it long after your eyes have begun to lose their
edge for shooter's games like 9-ball, IMO.
I like watching players like Ronnie Allen, Steve Cook &amp; Grady -- all pretty creative.

Warren_Lushia
09-01-2002, 04:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> Sounds to me like Scott Frost is putting an appealing young face to the One Pocket game. Kind of like Shannon Daulton talent, but more of a poster boy? (Never having seen him.) <hr></blockquote>

here is a pic of scott frost and angel paglia:

http://www.q-ballexpress.com/archive/2001/04/MSDFirstFrostPaglia.jpg

warren..

rackmup
09-01-2002, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr>Great to see more young sharp shooters getting into one pocket!<hr></blockquote>

Hey Les...I'll bet that made you feel good!

Regards,

Ken (BTW...thanks again for dinner at Hooter's)

bluewolf
09-01-2002, 09:01 AM
nice looking young people!
'those were the days my friend,we thought they'd never end'

bluewolf

09-01-2002, 10:42 AM
I agree, classless chump............... efren has more class in his right pinky than scott will ever posess....

Drake
09-01-2002, 11:32 AM
My first impression of Scott was like "Whoa, Look at this guy play and he has a lot of confidence!". I had always heard about Scott and his great one pocket game. It was a real treat to see Scott bark at Cory for thirty minutes about playing one pocket. BUT, My perspective changed when Cory stepped up and beat Scott's brains out....in ONE POCKET for the CASH.

09-01-2002, 11:45 PM
I, for one do not find Scott Frost charismic. I do not think he would be the, "savior" of pool. Someone I find a little more respectable and good for the sport is John Schmidt. As excessive as John is when be barks, I think John is actually a good guy. And he doesn't present himself or act as some gangster mobster or drug dealer either. John would be a much better representation for pool.

TomBrooklyn
09-02-2002, 12:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr>Can pool be 'saved' by the guy who talks the most and bets the highest?<hr></blockquote>I don't think Scott Frost or any other one person is going to 'save' pool, or even increase it's appeal to the whole world. But I'd guess if there is a type of personality most likely to increase it's popularity to the general population; loud and high betting is the one, presuming it's backed up with game. If there were enough Scott Frosts in the world, Hollywood would be making another major motion picture about it.

NH_Steve
09-02-2002, 07:28 AM
From what I've read in this thread, it sounds more lke Scott would play the Minnesota Fats role (without the fat!) than the Tiger role. Fats brought a lot of interest in the game with the dynamic he created -- kinda like the heel vs the heroes in wrestling. Not sure I like the idea of the WWF model of saving pool however, but I can see it now, One Pocket on TV /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-30-2002, 10:30 AM
i amdire scott as a gambler and a player i think he should have played the role of vincent lauria in ''the color of money ,its just like watching a home movie with him woofing at other players, I think he does have a arrogant side of him ,but as some one who will put it all on the line and BET HIGH ,scott's not afraid to gamble , I seen him throw a grand on the table and say call it ''heads or tails ''and the other guy backed out..that's gamble i think ,i know he is mostly not liked by others but i think that he is a nice guy away from the table .but all i know is that he's got the nuts and will gamble if woofed at ,,,, I seen scott offer danny harriman 9-8after dannyhad won the 1 pocket tourney at shooters billiards in olathe ,ks , for $$5,000 and danny backed down and said i only play for the love of the game ,no dout about it this boy has got gamble and thats one of the reasons i respect him so much i wish ther wer more guys like scott in poolrooms across the country,,,scott's fun to watch, i think the reason most people don't like him is the fact that he is arrogant,cold but that may have been the way he was raised i know alot of people who are like that and thats just the way they are ,and wo'nt change for nuthin,i beleive that just because scott comes from a$$$rich family ,that may be the reason he is why he is ,but every other time i,ve met scott he was cool and will talk to any body, i think most people have the wrong picture about him ,i respect him as a gambler and a player hes cool HE TALKS ALINE OF SH*T AND BETS HIGH ...this guy is the future of pool movies to come $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by jason lauria best regards to my friend $$$$scott frost$$$$