PDA

View Full Version : negative ads...

sack316
09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Been at the hospital the last 2 days for my grandmother and happened to catch 360's story on some of these crazy, hate and lie filled campaign ads out now (both parties are guilty).

I'm thinking we need some rules to this!

Such as if you're caught blatantly lying or misconstruing another's statements, automatic disqualification from the race. If you can't be honest, you don't deserve to be in office.

Or maybe a rule against negative campaigning. You can talk about yourself, your policies and beliefs... but limit commentary on the opposition to their own voting record in any office they have held. Something like that.

Thoughts?

Sack

eg8r
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Such as if you're caught blatantly lying or misconstruing another's statements, automatic disqualification from the race. If you can't be honest, you don't deserve to be in office.
</div></div>If there is blatant lying then we already have laws in place to protect against this. The person that was lied about can sue for libel/slander.

eg8r

sack316
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Such as if you're caught blatantly lying or misconstruing another's statements, automatic disqualification from the race. If you can't be honest, you don't deserve to be in office.
</div></div>If there is blatant lying then we already have laws in place to protect against this. The person that was lied about can sue for libel/slander.

eg8r </div></div>

True, but in the mean time said slanderer may still win office (while a PAC or campaign contributors pay off the lawsuit lol)

Sack

Gayle in MD
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been at the hospital the last 2 days for my grandmother and happened to catch 360's story on some of these crazy, hate and lie filled campaign ads out now (both parties are guilty).

Such as if you're caught blatantly lying or misconstruing another's statements, automatic disqualification from the race. If you can't be honest, you don't deserve to be in office.

Or maybe a rule against negative campaigning. You can talk about yourself, your policies and beliefs... but limit commentary on the opposition to their own voting record in any office they have held. Something like that.

Thoughts?

Sack </div></div>

I think a campaign should be only constructed with many debates between contenders, and a running scroll, their voting records and contributors, including the amounts, must play on their interactive web site, and a govenment's website, non stop.

We could have military pilots fly all of them to a set number of filmed public appearances, where they are individually interviewed, (and televise it) and we cover all campaign costs. The more they are forced, to only talk about themselves, the easier it is to get the meat of who they are.

If we settle for commercials, we're not likely to make good choices. Hollywood and Fifth Avenue tactics were never meant to expose facts.

Many of us are not impressed or take kindly to liars, or negative ads, and its really unfortunate so many are. I've always thought those sorts of ads tell us more about the person behind the ad, than they do about the target.

As long as what they accuse someone else of, can be, documented as fact, an honest negative ad isn't as offensive.

People don't read enough. That's te real problem.

hondo
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been at the hospital the last 2 days for my grandmother and happened to catch 360's story on some of these crazy, hate and lie filled campaign ads out now (both parties are guilty).

Thoughts?

Sack </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Qtec
09-29-2010, 05:15 AM
This is where the press comes in. Its their job to confront these lies and to hold politicians accountable for what they say and do.

These days, mostly that just doesn't happen. Even when pressed to give an answer, a politician just keeps repeating the same line over and over, always avoiding giving an answer ..and they get away with it.

eg,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">n an appearance on "Fox News Sunday" over the weekend, House Minority Leader John Boehner suggested that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>now is not the time to talk about finding solutions to vast problems that continue to plague the country.</span>

"It's time for us as Americans to have an adult conversation with each other about the serious challenges our country faces. And we can't have that serious conversation until we lay out the size of the problem," explained Boehner to FNC host Chris Wallace. "Now, once Americans understand how big the problem is, then we can begin to talk about potential solutions."

The remarks from the ranking Republican came in response to questions about potential shortcomings some have identified in the "Pledge to America" manifesto that the House GOP unveiled last week.

Here's the exchange that then went down:

WALLACE: But forgive me, sir. I mean, isn't the right time to have the adult conversation now before the election when you have this document? Why not make a single proposal to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid?

BOEHNER: Chris, this is what happens here in Washington. When you start down that path, you just invite all kinds of problems. I know. I've been there. I think we need to do this in a more systemic way and have this conversation first. Let's not get to the potential solutions. Let's make sure Americans understand how big the problem is. Then we can begin to talk about possible solutions and then work ourselves into those solutions that are doable. </div></div>

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/27/john-boehner-we-cant-begi_n_740124.html)

Give him credit, Chris does try but in the end accepts the BS and moves on.
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Basically Boehner admits they have no solutions, just criticism.</span> The leader of the Party that wants to rule the country has<span style='font-size: 17pt'> not one single idea on how to do it.</span> <u>Its either that or they do and they just don't want to tell anyone because if they do they won't get elected.</u>

Q

Gayle in MD
09-29-2010, 05:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is where the press comes in. Its their job to confront these lies and to hold politicians accountable for what they say and do.

These days, mostly that just doesn't happen. Even when pressed to give an answer, a politician just keeps repeating the same line over and over, always avoiding giving an answer ..and they get away with it.

eg,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">n an appearance on "Fox News Sunday" over the weekend, House Minority Leader John Boehner suggested that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>now is not the time to talk about finding solutions to vast problems that continue to plague the country.</span>

"It's time for us as Americans to have an adult conversation with each other about the serious challenges our country faces. And we can't have that serious conversation until we lay out the size of the problem," explained Boehner to FNC host Chris Wallace. "Now, once Americans understand how big the problem is, then we can begin to talk about potential solutions."

The remarks from the ranking Republican came in response to questions about potential shortcomings some have identified in the "Pledge to America" manifesto that the House GOP unveiled last week.

Here's the exchange that then went down:

WALLACE: But forgive me, sir. I mean, isn't the right time to have the adult conversation now before the election when you have this document? Why not make a single proposal to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid?

BOEHNER: Chris, this is what happens here in Washington. When you start down that path, you just invite all kinds of problems. I know. I've been there. I think we need to do this in a more systemic way and have this conversation first. Let's not get to the potential solutions. Let's make sure Americans understand how big the problem is. Then we can begin to talk about possible solutions and then work ourselves into those solutions that are doable. </div></div>

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/27/john-boehner-we-cant-begi_n_740124.html)

Give him credit, Chris does try but in the end accepts the BS and moves on.
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Basically Boehner admits they have no solutions, just criticism.</span> The leader of the Party that wants to rule the country has<span style='font-size: 17pt'> not one single idea on how to do it.</span> <u>Its either that or they do and they just don't want to tell anyone because if they do they won't get elected.</u>

Q </div></div>

The Repubs have silenced their more irrational TP candidates, Angle is literally running from reporters, O'Donnell, refuses to be interviewed, The Nutjob Governor in AZ, refused to take questions, and the ones who are out there, are putting both feet in their mouths, IMO.

It was even more pronounced when Boehner was on Face The Nation! In fact, it was laughable!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6859016n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

I think people are beginning to wake up to the fact that the Republicans are going to give everybody a hair cut, except the wealthy. Many are promising to do just that as we write. See my thread about DeMint! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif