PDA

View Full Version : APA question

08-30-2002, 10:34 AM
our LO has recently raised our nightly fees from $25 to $35. many of our bar owners that sponser teams are now upset with this price increase . in order to appease these bar owner our LO has now added a new rule in our/his league bylaws that states "teams/players cannot be sponsered bars, clubs or a business and maintain amateur status, any team/player that receives any type of pay, which includes nightly or weekly fees(shirts) will be disqualified from all apa play".
in the past some of our local teams have been lucky and had someone pay their nightly fees while many teams payed their own way. we've never had any problems with this until our fees were raised by $10.
question to other apa leagues:
who pays? teams or sponsers
how much is nightly/weekly fees? -- what is the norm?

Doctor_D
08-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Good afternoon:

Sounds like and issue and question which would need to be addressed directly with the APA!

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
08-30-2002, 10:48 AM
The norm is for players/teams to pay their OWN fees. As far as I know, there is no restriction in having a bar sponsor, or pay fees for it's teams. That would be a local dictate, not corporate. A $10 raise is outrageous, imo, and needs to justified and explained. Is your league a money league, where there is a payback? That could explain the increase. Most APA leagues are NOT set up this way, and the only other thing I can think of, is that the LO is trying to make more $$$ from the players for his own pocket.

Scott Lee ~ former APA LO

stickman
08-30-2002, 10:48 AM
Holy Mackerel! I pay $6.50 to play weekly.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2002, 10:52 AM
times 5 players a nite that is $32.50 close to the $35 the poster mentions.

The APA is making a lot of money, the players are getting their monies worth, and the establishments are also making money.. what is the problem here?
The LO wants more? LOL, so what is new?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-30-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: simsd:</font><hr> our LO has recently raised our nightly fees from $25 to $35. many of our bar owners that sponser teams are now upset with this price increase . in order to appease these bar owner our LO has now added a new rule in our/his league bylaws that states "teams/players cannot be sponsered bars, clubs or a business and maintain amateur status, any team/player that receives any type of pay, which includes nightly or weekly fees(shirts) will be disqualified from all apa play".
in the past some of our local teams have been lucky and had someone pay their nightly fees while many teams payed their own way. we've never had any problems with this until our fees were raised by $10.
question to other apa leagues:
who pays? teams or sponsers
how much is nightly/weekly fees? -- what is the norm? <hr></blockquote>

We pay $6 each ($30/week).

Players get $5 back at the end of the session for each win.

No bar owners that I know of pay the fees for teams. Many will buy team shirts (good advertising). Some provide free food on league night (chili, sloppy joes, etc.). We also get 1 free drink on league night.

If these owners were willing to pay $25 they shouldn't quibble about $35. Pool leagues bring mucho $$$$$ to bars on a normally slow night.

WaltVA
08-30-2002, 11:21 AM
Our team fees are $30 per night ($6/person)and are paid by the players.

The APA rule book says under General Rules #34:

"Players Receiving Incentives - It is contrary to the best interest of the League and it leans toward professionalism for members to solicit or accept incentives to play for a location or for a team. Teams or players may face disqualification for soliciting such incentives. Incentives include, but are not limited to:
-Free drinks
-Free table usage
-Payment of all or part of League fees

If a Host Location offers the same benefits to all members participating out of that location, it is probably acceptable. Special deals to just a few highly skilled players are not acceptable."

We have a local PH that hosts a large number of APA teams. Every year they throw a free Christmas party for all team members who shoot out of that location, give out embroidered jackets to all team captains, and have shirts made up for all their teams going to Vegas. They do this for ALL their teams; however they don't pay any League fees, table time, or free food/drinks for anybody.

Walt in VA

stickman
08-30-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> times 5 players a nite that is $32.50 close to the $35 the poster mentions.

The APA is making a lot of money, the players are getting their monies worth, and the establishments are also making money.. what is the problem here?
The LO wants more? LOL, so what is new? <hr></blockquote>

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought he was saying that each individual paid $35.00 a week to play. If that is the case, then I'm flabbergasted. If not, I see no problem.

=k=
08-30-2002, 02:01 PM
hello
we pay 5.00 a night for table and 25.00 week dues total 30.00 for team.. phoenix K

ChrisW
08-30-2002, 02:03 PM
We pay $25 per team/week plus quarters or table time.
The host tavern/bar/PH pays a yearly $65 fee to the LO.
I think we get about $1 back per win at the end of
each season which isn't much.

I don't think any host has tried to pay weekly fees for any
teams.
I haven't heard anybody here say anything about yearly host fee does that happen anywhere else?

Chris

PQQLK9
08-30-2002, 06:29 PM
I paid $10.00 a week in Va.....

Wally_in_Cincy
08-31-2002, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ChrisW:</font><hr> We pay $25 per team/week plus quarters or table time.
The host tavern/bar/PH pays a yearly $65 fee to the LO.
I think we get about $1 back per win at the end of
each season which isn't much.

I don't think any host has tried to pay weekly fees for any
teams.
I haven't heard anybody here say anything about yearly host fee does that happen anywhere else? <hr></blockquote>

I have not heard of that before. Is that $65 per team or total?

It's a good investment for the bar owner but it almost seems like a shakedown by the LO. What if the bar owner refused to pay? Is the LO gonna pull his teams out. I think the players on the team might have something to say about that.

You guys get back $1 per win? I would just tell them to keep the buck. If you went undefeated that's only what, 15 bucks? Why bother? I guess I'm lucky to play in a league that pays back $5 per win. Even that's not much.

stickman
08-31-2002, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I have not heard of that before. Is that $65 per team or total?

It's a good investment for the bar owner but it almost seems like a shakedown by the LO. What if the bar owner refused to pay? Is the LO gonna pull his teams out. I think the players on the team might have something to say about that.

You guys get back $1 per win? I would just tell them to keep the buck. If you went undefeated that's only what, 15 bucks? Why bother? I guess I'm lucky to play in a league that pays back $5 per win. Even that's not much.
<hr></blockquote>

I've never heard of such a thing either. Where does the $65.00 go? My team pays $5.00 a win at the end of the session also. $15.00 for a perfect session? I've already won that amount and only played 4 matches. I pay $6.00 to play plus my quarters for the table. Earlier I said I payed $6.50 but I was mistaken. If you win every match, the APA gets a $1.00 for each match you played. Not a whole lot, but of course it gets the full $6.00 from the opponent that lost. So they get $7.00 per match X 5 = thirtyfive dollars a night from the two teams, plus the initial membership dues. For the fun I have, I consider it a real bargain.

rackmup
08-31-2002, 08:50 AM
For many years, the APA had pool league play "locked up". Others saw the money making opportunities available for very little work and jumped on the league bandwagon. Now...the APA has competition and although competition is good for the pool player, it isn't necessarily good for the APA.

The APA has long been the subject of complaints regarding sandbagging, handicaps, etc. When other leagues are offered and tried by APA players, the possibility always exists that they will find something they like better and may abandon the APA. Perhaps that is what this particular L.O. is experiencing. I would question the APA Corporate office about the raising of the fees and ask why it is being done. I personally, like to know where my money is going.

I will say the L.O. in Phoenix runs a pretty good "ship" and the complaints are minimal (as far as I remember) so <font color=blue>=k=</font color=blue> is one of the lucky ones.

Regards,

Ken (would much rather play in an "Open" league, without handicaps and win $$$ at the end of the season, however minimal that $ might be)

Wally_in_Cincy
08-31-2002, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr>
I've never heard of such a thing either. Where does the $65.00 go? My team pays $5.00 a win at the end of the session also. $15.00 for a perfect session? I've already won that amount and only played 4 matches. I pay $6.00 to play plus my quarters for the table. Earlier I said I payed $6.50 but I was mistaken. If you win every match, the APA gets a $1.00 for each match you played. Not a whole lot, but of course it gets the full $6.00 from the opponent that lost. So they get $7.00 per match X 5 = thirtyfive dollars a night from the two teams, plus the initial membership dues. For the fun I have, I consider it a real bargain. <hr></blockquote>

Considering the money I spend on drinks and tips the $6 is certainly a bargain /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif