PDA

View Full Version : Downingtown 14.1 Update

Pizza Bob
08-31-2002, 09:40 AM
I made the trek (not long) to Downingtown last night to spectate at one of the few 14.1 tournaments extant. This is the Pete Sinkler Annual 14.1 Tournament, now in its 16th year. A small field, limited to 16 players (which they filled - several times - due to drop outs / new entries) had two no-shows at the bell for a final field of 14. Interesting field that cut across the entire strata from serious recreational type player to the pros. The age span was also impressive. It was nice to see some young faces come out for 14.1. Among them was a young fellow (probably 17 or so) named Alex Foti, playing in his first major tournamnet ever. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, he drew Allen Hopkins in the first round. At the other end of the spectrum was Jack Colavita, Sr. (at 70+) who won his match. Jack said that he has always been a part-time player, but he plans to retire from his regular job soon and play full-time. Watch out!

Our own Steve Lipsky (whose match I watched) was also victorious with a 150 - 61 win over Greg Hill. Interestingly enough, again by the luck of the draw, Steve meets his partner and hotel room-mate for the weekend, Danny Barouty, at noon today. Danny said, "We could have mailed this one in!"

If your interested and want to follow-up on this report, I've posted the link to the tournament site, below. From it you can navigate to the brackets and see who else made it out of the first round on the winners side. It's going to be interesting when it gets down to crunch time.

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/archives/straight02.html

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PQQLK9
08-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Thanks Bob...wish I was there...

Barbara
08-31-2002, 11:38 AM
Keep it coming Pizza Bob!!

I see my horse won his first match!! Tell Pete and Houseman I say Hi! and sorry I couldn't be there.

Barbara~~~go Bob, go Bob, go Bob....

Pizza Bob
08-31-2002, 12:23 PM
Barbara:
Sorry, but my schedule this holiday weekend only allowed for attendance on Friday evening. That's why I provided the link. BTW, Danny says he has been practicing and can beat you in a multi-lap race in the pool - speedo or no (uh, sorry for that mental image).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SPetty
09-01-2002, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> I see my horse won his first match!!

Barbara~~~go Bob, go Bob, go Bob.... <hr></blockquote>Hi Barbara,

Looks like my horse beat your horse in the loser's bracket. Let's see, the bet was Barbara's Bob against, um, "everyone else". And, I think, "everyone else" has knocked Bob out! What's so cool about it is that it was my favorite horse, Steve Lipsky, that knocked Bob out. I haven't seen the brackets updated since then, so Steve's still in it!

Let's see, the bet was two pounds (!) of Barbara's famous pecans against my measly little $20 bill...

SPetty~~~go Steve, go Steve, go Steve...

Rich R.
09-01-2002, 08:24 AM
SPetty, you got the best part of that bet. Although most would just think that one player against the rest of the field is a great bet, but I, for one, think that your $20 is not close to the value of Barbara's world famous pecans. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

Barbara
09-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Oh noooooooo!!! How could Bob lose??? Well, I guess a three-pete was not in the cards.

Okay, looks like I have some baking to do.

Barbara~~~mumble mumble mumble...

SPetty
09-01-2002, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> ...most would just think that one player against the rest of the field is a great bet, but I, for one, think that your $20 is not close to the value of Barbara's world famous pecans. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.<hr></blockquote>Hi Rich,

I actually tried to up the bet with Barbara - more money against the pecan recipe! She wouldn't go for it!

It was Steve Lipsky who taught me that "the rest" is a better bet than "the originally chosen one" in that nasty old "pick a door" Bob Barker theory thread... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif