PDA

View Full Version : Who are todays legends?

Q-guy
08-31-2002, 09:43 AM
My wife is out of town and last night I was thought I would watch some pool videos. I was watching the one of Tommy Kennedy winning the US open and at the end came on some of the old Legends of Pocket Billiards that was done years ago in Atlantic City. In the tournament was:
Crane
Lassiter
Moore
Mosconi
Caras
Puckett
Fats

I had taped over most of it but I had a match between Lassiter and Mosconi and I watched that. Even as an old man Lassiter could really play. Any way I was thinking, If you wanted to do this again, who could you get. There are no more legends left that I could really think of. It is as if there is a missing link between those old time players and the players of today. Maybe Danny DiLiberto and Ronnie Allen, but I could not think of any players that rose to the level of the players in that tournament back then. (Of course except for Fats.) Just wondering who are today's Legends. It is always funny to watch those tapes and hear Hopkins pronounce the name "Marsconi" or say "the man is schnookered".

MikeM
08-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Actually Q guy I think you mentioned one. Allen Hopkins fits the bill as a link to the past. He has played many of the greats of yesterday and today and has been a championship level player. I know a few people have personal reasons for not liking Allen, but those will eventually be forgotten and I think he will go down as a pool legend with some of the other great names you mentioned.

MM...and he has a hot wife! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-31-2002, 10:03 AM
Q-guy,

I'm relatively new to this game but I think 50 years from now Sigel and Strickland will be legends. And of course Efren Reyes' will be the ultimate legend. Imagine 2 old guys sipping beers saying: "I once saw Reyes make a shot ..." /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Barbara
08-31-2002, 11:32 AM
You know, I have a poster advertising that event with all the player's signatures on it! Picked it up on eBay.

Sweet!

How about Mizerak and Hopkins? Cisero Murphy comes to mind. Rempe and Sigel? What age bracket are you trying to pinpoint?

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
08-31-2002, 05:19 PM
Living Legends...Ronnie Allen and Danny Diliberto for sure. Steve "The Miz" Mizerak, Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook, Ritchie "Mr. 9-Ball" Ambrose, Johnny "Velvet Foghorn" Ervolino, Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna, Grady Mathews, Toby Sweet, Cole Dickson, Larry Liscoti, Al "NY Blackie" Bonafe{sp}, "Pittsburg" Billy Incardona, Gene Nagy...to name a few. I'm sure every town has their local legend as well.

Jay M
08-31-2002, 05:30 PM
And y'all are forgetting my good friend Ray Martin... 3 world straight pool championships AGAINST some of those guys you named. In round-robin format no less.

Voodoo Daddy
08-31-2002, 05:57 PM
I knew there was a guy I didnt wanna leave out but did, damnit!! Ray still plays jam-up too. I'm sure Jay will rat me out and tell Ray I left him off the list...HAHAHAHAHA!!

Rich R.
08-31-2002, 06:13 PM
How about "Machine Gun" Lou Butera? Rich R.