PDA

View Full Version : Called weight ball on the break?

Soflasnapper
10-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I lost a couple short races to 5 in 9-ball, first playing even, and then getting the breaks. The last set I got the called 8 plus the breaks, and got the 8 on the break to count if I called the pocket correctly.

On the first rack, my opponent racked the 8 on the wing. Out of sportsmanship, I mentioned it so that he could re-rack if he wanted. He said no, it doesn't matter, and I said ok, here goes. I usually don't use the break that makes the wing ball (the side rail break-- I normally break about a diamond and a ball width from the side rail with a fuller hit on the 1 to avoid scratching), but I adjusted to a break position just off the rail, and made the 8 in the corner as I called-- 1-0 me.

So he didn't rack it there after that, LOL! Then he began to rack it at the bottom of the rack, and I called it back to my side in the head corner pocket. I got it to move in that direction several times although didn't make it, and he then moved the 8 to what I think of as the standard place for an extra weight ball-- in the next row behind the 1.

Well, the call in that case is cross side, and again I got it moving in that direction several times, and on the hill, it dropped there to win the set for me, meaning I made two called 8s on the break in a race to 5.

I'd made that 8 called cross side in a different hill-hill match on my way to winning a tournament a while back. It seems that there is no entirely safe place to put an extra weight ball if it is allowed to be called on the break. (The second to last back row is also a makeable called shot for me in the nearest foot corner pocket, and what I usually try for on a normal break even when it isn't an extra weight ball.)

If I can do this, there's no doubt a more skilled player can also do it. Do you ever see this happen? Or is a called extra weight ball normally not a win on the break? Or is going for it not done, even if allowed, since it isn't the best percentage break possible?

(Although on every break I tried to make the 8 on, when it didn't go, I made some other ball and got a good spread on the rack anyway.)

Soflasnapper
10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Didn't think of it at first, but obviously the same question applies to an extra money ball that's wild. Is it normal that someone given a wild-8 spot doesn't win if it goes on the break? And if not, that it does count, do people try to pocket it on the break?

bradb
10-14-2010, 03:01 PM
When I played money ball, the 8spot was usually at the bottom opposite the 1B. If it goes on the break its a win unless its agreed thats not part of the spot.

Sometimes we played a dollar on the 5B and 2 dollars on the 9B. The 5B was spotted at the bottom also. Seems its hardest to make from there.

brad

Bambu
10-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I rack the spot ball on the wing because its not a win, the ball just gets spotted if it drops. Usually the spot ball stays down until the breaker misses a shot, but I have also seen it spotted after the break.

If I want to hide a ball, I put it opposite the 1. Sometimes it goes in on a long bank, but I like those chances best.

bradb
10-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I guess it depends on what your opponent or you are willing to give as a spot.

There always dickering for more weight if either player is winning too much. brad

Rich R.
10-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Phil, any spot is negotiable and I would go for it on the break if possible. I think you went above and beyond by warning your opponent about the wing ball.