PDA

View Full Version : Strickland using arm weights?

bradb
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I just watched a match where Earl was using arm weights. I thought this was strange for a player of his caliber. I guess its legal. My question is how can it help? It would hold your arms down a bit and help to stop them from lifting up, but I would think it would make your stroke more of an effort.

Next we're going to see players with a block of cement placed on their head like a helmet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Rich R.
10-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Brad, seeing Earl at a tournament is always an adventure. You never know what he will be wearing. I've seen him with arm weights, hockey gloves, finger extentions, some kind of weight on the back of his belt and a few other things I can't remember.
Only Earl knows if or how they help. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-15-2010, 09:26 AM
yellow sunglasses and heavy gloves similar to ones used for snow. Can't wait to see Earl next week. Probably have another meltdown.

Duane

Bambu
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
That explains the ass weights on the joe rogan video, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Gx8suAQs

Fran Crimi
10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Where were the weights situated? Upper arm? Lower arm? near the elbow, wrist, shoulder?

10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the hearing protectors. At one point last year, Barry Behrman had to stop Earls match and tell him to take em off, lolol!

Eric >lol

Rich R.
10-16-2010, 05:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where were the weights situated? Upper arm? Lower arm? near the elbow, wrist, shoulder? </div></div>
Fran, Earl tends to move this stuff around day by day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Basically, if you see Earl play once, you think he may be a little crazy. If you see Earl play several times, all doubt is removed.

cushioncrawler
10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I once had a look for wrist wts. I think i will get one, or make my own. Velcro.
It will steady my stroke i think -- and help judge strength.
mac.

mstng81
10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
If nothing else, I would think it would be enough of a distraction to get your head out of your way without shoving it squarely somewhere dark and smelly. Like chalking with your other hand. You would get used to it after a while, of course, and have to try something else which is why I think Strickland tries so many different things.

I find it hard to believe that it would actually benefit someone's game in the long run. Anything you can do with the weights you should be able to do without.

cushioncrawler
10-18-2010, 03:52 AM
This arvo i went to my shed -- and i got out lots of fishing sinkers -- and madSherie loaned me a wrist velcro -- and i taped the sinkers into the velcro -- and i played lots of what we english billiards players call mid-pkt loozers -- and i found that i kood run 10 or more in a sequence no worrys at all -- thanx to the wrist wts.

I rang SportBiz in town -- and they sayd that they had wrist (ankle) wts -- i will go in tomorrow and see'em.

If they are ok i will uze'em in my match in melbourne on monday.
mac.

bradb
10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where were the weights situated? Upper arm? Lower arm? near the elbow, wrist, shoulder? </div></div>

Fran, he had them strapped around both wrists.

Brad

bradb
10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, seeing Earl at a tournament is always an adventure. You never know what he will be wearing. I've seen him with arm weights, hockey gloves, finger extentions, some kind of weight on the back of his belt and a few other things I can't remember.
Only Earl knows if or how they help. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

Rich, have you been able to meet Earl? I'm wondering if this is all a put on by him or is he genuinely this excentric? Brad

Fran Crimi
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
OK, thanks. I wonder if they would be considered illegal. I have no idea, just wondering. It would seem to me like they could give a player an unfair advantage in certain circumstances, like breaking with a break cue that's 5 lbs heavier. And also keeping a weight on your bridge hand assures you that you'll keep your hand down longer on your shots. That's definitely an advantage.

Of course, shooting every shot with extra weight on your shooting wrist has to feel really heavy after awhile. I'd have to experiment with them but I wouldn't rule Earl out as crazy just yet.

bradb
10-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw it in a replay of the 2009 US Open 9ball championship. Jimmy Wych was calling the game and he was quite amused but evidently Earl got permission to wear them. Earl won the match. Brad

dg-in-centralpa
10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Brad,
Earl is very eccentric. This is no act, but the real Earl.

Duane- heading to the Open in the morning.

Fran Crimi
10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder who gave him permission. Permission can come from a whole lot of places. LOL

bradb
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
They did'nt say who gave Earl permission but Bill Incardona was announcing along with Jimmy during the match, maybe he could tell you. Their commentary was as entertaining as the match. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Incidently, Jimmy Wych was a top pro snooker player in his younger days, I played a few games with him in Calgary and had the pleasure of watching him run back to back centuries. I don't know why he never tried regular pool he had the nicest stroke I've ever seen, but probably announcing play by play pays a whole lot better. Brad

Deeman3
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, thanks. I wonder if they would be considered illegal. I have no idea, just wondering. It would seem to me like they could give a player an unfair advantage in certain circumstances, like breaking with a break cue that's 5 lbs heavier. And also keeping a weight on your bridge hand assures you that you'll keep your hand down longer on your shots. That's definitely an advantage.

Of course, shooting every shot with extra weight on your shooting wrist has to feel really heavy after awhile. I'd have to experiment with them but I wouldn't rule Earl out as crazy just yet.
</div></div>

Fran,

How you doing? I think the aded weights would help a person with, for instance, a slight nervous twitch or anything similar to the "Yips" in golf.

Now on the advantage of having a break cue weighing 5 lbs. more, I'd have to vote for that being a decided disadvantage unless you were of such body build and fast twitch muscle fiber to get that puppy moving real fast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have talked to Earl a couple of times about his "stuff". My personal opinion is that these gimmicks are born out of frustration at not having his former game skills. Of course, who among us, except maybe Efren does? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif What he used to do was so amazing to me. I saw him the first time at the Rack in Detroit when he must have bene about 17. I never, ever thought I'd see him lose a match or game, he was that good. I can't imagine him ever being able to deal with how far his game has slipped. He has always been a bit on the strange side, as you know, but what most of us would not give to have had his bad days a few years back?

How is your game these days? It must have been back in about 1997 or 1998 when I frist started posting on here, not under DeeMan and always enjoyed my chats with you. I hope you are doing well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
10-22-2010, 06:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, seeing Earl at a tournament is always an adventure. You never know what he will be wearing. I've seen him with arm weights, hockey gloves, finger extentions, some kind of weight on the back of his belt and a few other things I can't remember.
Only Earl knows if or how they help. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

Rich, have you been able to meet Earl? I'm wondering if this is all a put on by him or is he genuinely this excentric? Brad </div></div>Frankly Brad, I stay away from Earl as much as possible.

Rich R.
10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm currently at the U.S. Open and in an earlier match, Earl had some large contraption on his arm that looked like the protection some batters use in Major League Baseball. However, last night, he played another match and he didn't have any of the weights or anything else on his arms. Go figure???

cushioncrawler
10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
No good for bunting???
mac.

bradb
10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah thats what he was wearing when I saw him.

Wish I was there at the Open now, just to far to go for me.

I think Deeman hit it right in noting that Earl is having a hard time dealing with his deminishing skills as he gets older. He was king of the hill in his prime, now he's just another player.

Its a bit sad really.

Fran Crimi
10-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Hey DeeMan,

I'm great, thanks! I'm enjoying playing these days, although I have to fix a lot of flaws that cropped up in my fundamentals. So I'm logging in some hours on the practice table to see if I can sort some of that stuff out. Face some new demons....you know, the usual stuff...LOL

I know what you mean about Earl. I guess I'm a bit more sympathetic to the eccentric types, having had Gene Nagy as my close friend. People called Gene crazy with some of the ways he experimented on the table but his ideas came from other sports.

Most likely you're right, that Earl is just looking for an answer to his not being able to perform like he used to, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he studies other sports, like golf or martial arts and tries to apply those principles to pool like Gene did.

Bambu
10-24-2010, 08:47 AM
I was too young to see Gene compete, but I never thought of him as being eccentric. I never saw Gene draw attention to himself, not purposefully anyway. Was he a sharp dressed hustler in his younger days? He just seemed too low key to do anything "earl like." I dont doubt you fran, I'm just curious as to what strange things gene did.

Fran Crimi
10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Gene was plenty eccentric. One time he was competing in a world championship. In the coffee shop at the hotel he overheard Irving Crane saying some negative things about him to other players. Later in the tournament he played a match on a table next to Crane's match. Gene timed it that when Crane was down on a shot, Gene jumped the cue ball off his own table and on to Crane's. It disturbed half the balls on Crane's table and Crane was in a total uproar and lost his match. That scratch cost Gene his match as well, but he said it was worth it.

Gene used to experiment with different things at the table. Once he changed his stance to denote a true triangle at the table. He experimented standing with his knees touching and his feet spread apart. Try to stand that way. You'll feel like an idiot. He played that way for at least a year. Another thing he got into doing was throwing the cue stick at the ball--- Literally throwing. I gave him a new Schuler cue at one time and I nearly cried when I saw it months later. It had divits in it from tip to end. However, there was always a method to his seeming madness. His theories were always based on another sport or something he may have read about martial arts. That's why I never rule out something that may seem strange at first because it may eventually be tweaked into something that looks more acceptable but could be a breakthrough.

Rich R.
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
At the Open, Earl stated that he was "the last real pool player left". There was a lot of head scratching and a lot of guessing but no one knew exactly what he meant.

Fran Crimi
10-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Someone I used to know was very close with Earl and had some insight into him. One thing that most of the men do is 'savers'. Earl will not do a saver with any player --- no splitting of prize money or throwing matches. That could be one thing that he meant by that.

10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Fran, I didn't know Gene nearly as well as you did but from my observations, Gene seemed a bit "anal". Certain things like pcoketing balls; I've witnessed Gene become incensed because the ball would lightly graze the side rail, even though the balls fell.

Eric

Fran Crimi
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
'Perfectionist' I think would be a better word, Eric. But yes, he was picky about stuff like that. I believe I told the story here before but here it is again --- Once he lost a 14.1 match because he scratched on a break shot, so he took an entire year off and shot nothing but break shots to try to figure out how to control the cb from every possible break angle.

Bambu
10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, thanks for the tidbits about Gene. I will never forget him.

Soflasnapper
10-26-2010, 11:42 AM
At the Open, Earl had some kind of arm contraption that looked like a partial still-suit from Dune. It appeared to be bladders puffed out in little areas on the upper arm.

Was that how the weights you saw looked? And WERE those weights or something else?

Qtec
10-29-2010, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most likely you're right, that Earl is just looking for an answer to his not being able to perform like he used to, </div></div>

I agree.

IMO, Earl is not just a ordinary player, he is a legend. He has proved himself at the top level for years.
A guy with his mentality cannot accept defeat. To him, he didn't lose a match because the other guy played better, he lost because he thinks he didn't play well enough. So, he thinks 'There must be a reason for this' and then he goes searching for this imaginary fault in his stroke. Hence all the contraptions etc.

Nobody can tell me there is something wrong with his stroke after winning so many titles. Its all in his mind.

Qtec.

Just think, if Earl had been a golfer... link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_q0wn5oQKU)..one of my favourite films.

Clasic... link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWKIMGinvg&feature=related)

From crazy people come exceptional things.

bradb
10-31-2010, 02:05 PM
I was in Dallas years ago when I heard about Earl Strickland winning a huge amount of money by breaking and running 10 racks in a row. This may have been done by a few other players somewhere but Earl did it when he had to to win the prize. It was an awesome display of skill.

I believe that when Earl was in his prime he was the greatest 9 ball player to ever play the game. Thats why I think its sad that he can't go out in style and not become a side show.

Brad

Rich R.
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in Dallas years ago when I heard about Earl Strickland winning a huge amount of money by breaking and running 10 racks in a row. This may have been done by a few other players somewhere but Earl did it when he had to to win the prize. It was an awesome display of skill.

I believe that when Earl was in his prime he was the greatest 9 ball player to ever play the game. Thats why I think its sad that he can't go out in style and not become a side show.

Brad </div></div>
Brad, you will get no argument from me. When Earl is playing well, there is no one better. It is really sad that he has to resort to the side show when he gets behind, in an effort to shark his opponents.

bradb
11-01-2010, 11:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the Open, Earl had some kind of arm contraption that looked like a partial still-suit from Dune. It appeared to be bladders puffed out in little areas on the upper arm.

Was that how the weights you saw looked? And WERE those weights or something else? </div></div>

What I saw was weights wrapped around his wrist. The bladders is a new one? ... Sounds like Earl has gone space age! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

wolfdancer
11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Brad, it must be working as Earl is the CSI champ!
" CueSports International Earl 'The Pearl' Strickland is 2010 Seminole's Mizerak Champion, never dropping a set"

Deeman3
11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Wolfdancer,

Where do two old birds sign up for Pilates with Earl? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
That's pretty funny, Dee Man. LOL

Rich R.
11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, it must be working as Earl is the CSI champ!
" CueSports International Earl 'The Pearl' Strickland is 2010 Seminole's Mizerak Champion, never dropping a set" </div></div>
I watched one of Earl's matches on the video stream from that event. It didn't look like Earl had any of the gimicks on his arms. The only thing I could see was a normal shooting glove on his left hand. Earl was just playing well, plain and simple.
Although I'm not a big fan of Earl, which is an understatement, I have to admit that, when he keeps his mouth shut and plays pool, there is no one better at 9-ball.

Deeman3
11-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Rich,

You are right about his game and his mouth. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is sad that a personality disorder has cost such a talented man so much. I would really like to get into his head for a few minutes to see what makes all that tick but am afriad I'd energe even more damaged than I am now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich,

You are right about his game and his mouth. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is sad that a personality disorder has cost such a talented man so much. I would really like to get into his head for a few minutes to see what makes all that tick but am afriad I'd energe even more damaged than I am now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
The inside of Earl's head has to be one of the scariest places on earth. I'M NOT GOING!!!

11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Jack, I wonder if this is a return to glory or just a good day (with the meds)?

Eric &gt; Joe Rogan as Earl Strickland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Gx8suAQs)

bradb
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack, I wonder if this is a return to glory or just a good day (with the meds)?

Eric &gt; Joe Rogan as Earl Strickland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Gx8suAQs) </div></div>

As an old timer I can attest to the pressure of the game becoming harder to deal with. Like other players my age we just learn to suck it up and deal with it, but it seems Earl is in denial. True he's still young enough to play at top form for a while but over the long haul as Fast Eddie said in the Color of money, "its a young man's game."

Earl was so good in his prime I guess he just can't let it go, the silly excuses, the gimmicks, the sharking, its all the result of this.

Oh well, at least he's adding some excitement to the sport. Where ever he plays the stands are packed. Maybe he could take on a Minnesota Fats personna and go on a TV tour, he could be a hit if people outside of pool get to know about him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Brad

KalboKev
11-26-2010, 08:23 AM
All I know is that physic's tells you that heavy will "steady" out one's stroke a bit, if you need it? I "used" to like lite cues, 18 oz.

I had a cue made in June, A solid piece of Philippine ebony from the joint down. 23.25 oz. 11mm tip with brass ferule and a conical taper, 55$ US, dead nuts straight. Incredible feel and natural balance. Most of my playing friends guesses it's 20 oz. Nothing like a solid piece of wood. No coring or fancy inlay required.

I break with it. The only hazard is compacting the tip, and I'm not kuriput enough to worry about replacing the tip. My big money cues have been gathering dust. Haven't picked another up since.

I

cushioncrawler
11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
KK -- Thats a good point -- duz a heavy cue kompakt a leather qtip quicker, or more, or whatever??
I reckon that the qtip kompakts quicker etc with a cue that hits the ball harder.
Harder i reckon meens that the ball goze quicker (ie further).
An 18oz cue hits harder than a 22oz cue (for most of us).
If so, then your cue must aktually be eezyr on the qtip, especially when breaking.
mac.

Deeman3
11-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Mac,

I think it is exactly the same for the different weight cue, assuming the equal effort on both weight cues equals a faster cue with less mass. The only difference I would predict is the smaller 11mm tip would have potentially a smaller area to distribute the mass or compression over.

Not sure but it seems that way to me.

Qtec
11-27-2010, 02:05 AM
The more relaxed you are, the heavier the cue feels.

Its a bit like treating the symptom and not the cause.

Q

KalboKev
11-27-2010, 05:02 AM
I bought the cue for breaking. It's a bigger tip for me compared to my previous #1. A 10mm pro taper--I've always liked a small tip, it seems you can put more precise "mustard" on the the CB? By FAR, it's the ugliest/cheapest stick in my collection. But quickly has become the only one I take to the dance, no second thoughts.

My point is that I "used" to LOVE lite cues, and then as an old dog, I got a wild hair up my arse and decided to finally "submit" and buy a "breaking cue".

It's the polar opposite of what I'm used to--and a breath of fresh air.

cushioncrawler
11-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Hmmmm -- praps the heavy (stiff) cue duz kompakt the tip more.
If stiffer, the time of impakt would be less, ie the force of impakt more -- and the force of impakt wins.
Alltho, the number of impakts would be a faktor too.
mac.