PDA

View Full Version : US Open: Proof that Barry Defaulted UPA Contract

08-31-2002, 03:35 PM
“I hope to get the contact resolved as soon as possible,” said Behrman. “There are still issues to be discussed. As for the main issues, I have no problem having the guaranteed added money ($40,000) in escrow 30 days out. As for last year’s prize fund, I’m willing to put $10,000 in a fund for the 24 players who didn’t get the full payout last year, but that’s as much as I can do.”
-Billiards Digest August Issue page 12

By the way, it's 23 Days away and there isn't any money up yet.

I believe that Barry verbally agreed to the UPA terms and then later defaulted on the main issues. You have to give credit to the UPA for sticking to their guns.

09-01-2002, 03:13 AM
That's probably why the following players aren't going:

Williams, Immonen, Reyes, Robles, Harriman , Garcia, Wetch, Eberle, Hernandez, SanSouci, Korsiak, Barella, Alvarez, Garrahan, Catledage, Muller, Maginnis, Crosby, Broumpton,

And who knows how many more...

Call the UPA if in doubt

09-02-2002, 04:46 PM
I believe players that have paid their entry fees already have a legal right to a reimbursement. I've talked to a few lawyers and they said yes, because the promoter publicly announced he was putting the money in escrow 30 days out and DID not, they are entitled to a refund.

MikeM
09-02-2002, 04:49 PM
Only if there was an agreement between the promoter and the individual player to escrow would this apply. If the agreement was between the sanctioning body (the UPA) and the promoter then it would not apply to individuals who paid their own money.

MM

09-03-2002, 09:54 PM
"Players who paid an entry fee to the US Open in reliance on
representations from Mr. Berman that the US Open would be a UPA
sanctioned event, have a legal basis for a refund"

UPA Board & Advisors

Tom_In_Cincy
09-03-2002, 10:40 PM
All your bad mouthing and pro UPA statements will come back to haunt you.. The UPA will bow down.. and support the US Open.. I will make this prediction.. now..

We will see how you have been setup to look like a fool.. by passing off bad information..

Vicki
09-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Hey Tom, I have enjoyed being on the same side of this arguement with you for the last few day. Tell me, do you think JeffRoa is AKA Charlie Williams? He seems awfully close to the situation. Even signed one of his posts as a UPA representative... hummmm... I wonder.

NOT!

Are you going to the Open? If so, please stop by Capone's booth and say hello. Would love to meet you. Take care!

Vicki

Tom_In_Cincy
09-03-2002, 11:11 PM
I think its someone close to CW.. maybe a friend.

Yes.. I will be there.. and would love to meet all the CCB players and posters.. I am looking forward to this trip. I know all the players will be there.. and the UPA will be a part of the US Open..

Vicki
09-03-2002, 11:15 PM
You're right. Of course. About JeffRoa being, at least, someone close to CW.

I am not as optimistic about the UPA being part of the US Open this year. Which is ok with me because next year I have a feeling it will be the US Open INVITATIONAL. Which would suit me just fine. There is really only one player of note on the list anyway. Too bad about it. Look forward to meeting the CCB'ers. g'night.

nmshooter
09-03-2002, 11:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> Hey Tom, I have enjoyed being on the same side of this arguement with you for the last few day. Tell me, do you think JeffRoa is AKA Charlie Williams? He seems awfully close to the situation. Even signed one of his posts as a UPA representative... hummmm... I wonder.

Vicki <hr></blockquote>

Only if he is posting from the University of Florida because thats where the post came from.

Vicki
09-03-2002, 11:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Vicki:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hey Tom, I have enjoyed being on the same side of this arguement with you for the last few day. Tell me, do you think JeffRoa is AKA Charlie Williams? He seems awfully close to the situation. Even signed one of his posts as a UPA representative... hummmm... I wonder.

Vicki &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Only if he is posting from the University of Florida because thats where the post came from. <hr></blockquote>

Well, ya know, rumor has it...

It's been suggested by another poster and I would not bet against it. Good way to lose the proverbial farm.

Rod
09-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Say man is this how you keep in touch with the UPA members? Communication at it's finest!!! HA! In case I haven't said so, you bore me.

nmshooter
09-03-2002, 11:58 PM
As a fan, I am really getting tired of all the politics of sports. Baseball players, pool players, it doesnt matter. They are only hurting themselves. Sooner or later the fans are gonna realize that supporting them just isnt worth the anguish and start supporting people who still play the game because they love it. Now I dont doubt that most athletes still love their respective sport but it seems that at some point you gotta put away the pens, the agents, the contracts, the bickering, the negotiating, and the all the crap and just play the game .....and have fun at it. JMHO

09-04-2002, 12:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr>the US Open INVITATIONAL<hr></blockquote>

The US Open Invitational huh /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

an invitational event is not open to just anyone and an open event is just that ... open to anyone

I wouldn't under estimate the UPA's alliance.

Players were stiffed last year regardless of the reason.They don't want it to happen again regardless of any and all reasons.

What's wrong with that?

You play pool privately for substantial amounts of cash (especially with a player who's ran out the door previously),what do you do?You know the action is good but you want the assurance of getting paid if you win ... you post it up.

Post it up.

Show me the money

Barry for some reason does not want to assure the players that the money is there.He doesn't want to post!Do you play pool with this fella or do you walk away and look for another game?

Like I said before don't under estimate this newly formed group of pool players.

It has to end or begin somewhere.BS

TomBrooklyn
09-04-2002, 12:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jeffroa:</font><hr> "Players who paid an entry fee to the US Open in reliance on
representations from Mr. Berman that the US Open would be a UPA sanctioned event, have a legal basis for a refund" UPA Board &amp; Advisors<hr></blockquote>'Good luck' to anyone that would try to get their money back. When the open goes off and all the winners are properly paid, what are they going to claim is their damage?

It is unlikely that someone was willing to to travel to Virginia multiple times to pursue a court remedy. However, if one did, the court would note that the entry fees are a big source of the monies that go to the prizes. So in effect, the petitioners argument would be that they wanted their money back because they were afraid the prize money wouldn't be there, but by asking for their money back, they were helping to insure the money wouldn't be there. In other words, they would be asking the court to help create the problem they say they are trying to avoid. How would the court look at that?

Vicki
09-04-2002, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>

You play pool privately for substantial amounts of cash (especially with a player who's ran out the door previously),what do you do?You know the action is good but you want the assurance of getting paid if you win ... you post it up.

Post it up.

Show me the money

It has to end or begin somewhere.BS <hr></blockquote>

Well, you're guaranteed not to get paid ANYTHING if you don't go. Barry shorted the payouts but he always paid something.

Ted Harris recently said something to the effect of... You play a guy every year for 25 years straight and he loses to you $10,000 - $25,000 at at time every year. Then one year he says, "I've had some disasterous circumstances effect my wallet... I can't pay all of what I owe you but here's most of it.

Tell me, are you gonna not play this guy again at all now?

As for your prediction that it has to begin or end somewhere... if you mean the UPA... the end is probably near. Haven't you read all the posts. Pool fans hate what the UPA is trying to do to pool. The sponsors of the US Open aren't going to be happy... player's sponsors aren't happy, fans aren't happy, the public thinks the UPA stinks! The only people singing the praises of the UPA are a few of the close UPA insiders. Not even everyone on the inside of the UPA is on their bandwagon. Notice Kirsten Pires' name isn't signed on their Forum Releases. Notice that Jeremy Jones' name is missing from the list of players not going to the Open. So are some other so called friends of the UPA/CW. Sorry, but the point of view that you are coming from here is very short sighted. If our president was that short sighted where do you think America would be now? How about Bill Gates? How about Michael Jordan? All great business people have the ability to look way down the road. Something that clearly, the UPA can't or won't do.