PDA

View Full Version : Immonen's Not Going to the US Open!

08-31-2002, 04:12 PM
Mika's not going?!

That's a stinker. I wanted to see him. He's hot!

Oh well,

Lisa

Vicki
08-31-2002, 09:26 PM
I wonder where you are getting this information. Did Mika tell you that he would not be attending? Who is your source for this gossip?

Nostroke
08-31-2002, 11:24 PM
I was at a tournament today and a couple of UPA players were there. Right now "we"(they) are not going was the word. Mika is UPA and very close with Charlie so if anyone isnt going it's him. Souquet and the Europeans are going i was told.

There seems to be a chance that if Barry Posts real soon-they'll go i understand.

PS_Anyone intersested in my seats on the 50 yd line?

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2002, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing you went to the Tri-State Open ranked tourney and I'm pretty sure I know the UPA players there. Anyway, it would suck to not see those guys play at the Open. Especially since they would be "representing" New York. I hope they change their minds.

Nostroke
08-31-2002, 11:53 PM
I really hope they go. I have seen every open since 94 and been to Cardiff a couple of times too so ill live without it this year if i have to - but i know this is your first time and you are real excited. Hope they dont let you down- I think Barry will come up with the money and then The UPA will reluctantly sanction it in some form. There will be one time 30 day rule waiver i hope.

Vicki
09-01-2002, 12:21 AM
I'm optimistic at this point. Don't give up hope that there will be a full field of top players. Let's hope this experience will be everything you hope for and then some... didn't someone say it was your first?

Vicki

Warren_Lushia
09-01-2002, 12:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> I was at a tournament today and a couple of UPA players were there. Right now "we"(they) are not going was the word. Mika is UPA and very close with Charlie so if anyone isnt going it's him. <hr></blockquote>

to me it seems the question isn't whether charlie's close buddies don't go, the question is will be whether any members of the UPA don't go who aren't charlie's buddies. charlie is gonna look mighty silly if the only people who don't go are his close buddies. then it would seem that people are supporting him cause they are his buddy, not because the believe in the UPA.

my understanding is that barry HAS offered to post the cash, and childish charlie has said he is no longer listening. i hope everyone shows up and charlie sits at home fuming by himself.

warren..

Doctor_D
09-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Good morning NoStroke:

Were you at the TriState Open Tournament at Amsterdam East on the 31st?

Dr. D.

09-01-2002, 03:06 AM
I know for a fact Mika, Tony, Frankie Hernandez, Jimmy Wetch, George SanSouci, Danny Harriman, Charlie Williams and about 20 others are not going.

If in doubt, call the UPA at 321-276-3967

Nostroke
09-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Yes- i heard you were there also- I arrived quite late and only saw the last 2 matches.

Troy
09-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Let's see, I should call the UPA for information about participants in the US Open..... Duh ?????

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I know for a fact Mika, Tony, Frankie Hernandez, Jimmy Wetch, George SanSouci, Danny Harriman, Charlie Williams and about 20 others are not going.

If in doubt, call the UPA at 321-276-3967 <hr></blockquote>

Doctor_D
09-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Good afternoon:

Sorry I missed you, I look forward to the seeing you at the next event.

Dr. D.

TomBrooklyn
09-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Charlie Williams today told me that he is not going, and he said neither is Mika, Tony Robles, or Frankie Hernandez or Jimmy Wetch . He said he has a list with about 15 other players who have decided not to go; but he didn't have it with him when I was talking to him.

Although the UPA is not prohibiting any of it's players from going, it has declined to sanction the event because the minimum added portion of the prize money was not posted 30 days prior to the start. This year the promoters have promised to add a minimum of forty thousand dollars to the pot if even only one player shows up to collect it.

Charlie feels a strong attachment to the US Open as he grew up around that area and that was the first major tournament he ever entered eleven years ago when he was fourteen old. This year he was one of the favorites to win it.

One of the main things the UPA is asking the promoters to do to get their sanction is to post or preferably escrow the minimum prize money. So Charlie feels bending on this point would heavily undermine the purpose the UPA. They are requesting the money be assured a minimum of 30 days in advance of the event to allow time for the players to plan their trips and avoid the higher costs of last minute make travel and accommodations.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-01-2002, 02:10 PM
If this turns out to be true, then it is their loss, not the US Open.

I can't imagine that any of them would miss a pay day just because of this issue..

Mr. Berhman will have the money posted, it just won't be in the UPA's time frame.. The tournament is on and is going to be a TV event for the first time.

The UPA has missed a great opportunity to work with all its sponsers and the US Open to have a Great Televised tournament.

Its sad that the UPA decided to be inflexible in this issue, and to vent it all to these public forums. I really think the UPA needs a PR professional to assist in their Press Releases..

jjinfla
09-01-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If this turns out to be true, then it is their loss, not the US Open.

I can't imagine that any of them would miss a pay day just because of this issue..

Mr. Berhman will have the money posted, it just won't be in the UPA's time frame.. The tournament is on and is going to be a TV event for the first time.

The UPA has missed a great opportunity to work with all its sponsers and the US Open to have a Great Televised tournament.

Its sad that the UPA decided to be inflexible in this issue, and to vent it all to these public forums. I really think the UPA needs a PR professional to assist in their Press Releases.. <hr></blockquote>

I agree with you Tom and this whole thing has turned into a pissing contest with the UPA doing all the pissing. At least Brady has the dignity to remain above it all. But if the UPA players do decide to boycot the US Open then I guess the rest of us should boycot the UPA for the harm they are doing to pool. It sure would be funny if Barry did get local TV coverage of some of the games and some players would be shown on the networks. then these stay at homes would be standing there hitting themselves in the head with their cue stick muttering to themselves, I should of gone, I could of been somebody. LOL Jake

jjinfla
09-01-2002, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> I wonder where you are getting this information. Did Mika tell you that he would not be attending? Who is your source for this gossip? <hr></blockquote>

You sure did pick a rough line of work Vicki. How many times a day do you wonder if it is worth it? Jake

Drake
09-01-2002, 03:03 PM
I hope this is just a BLUFF!! This would be a very stupid action for the UPA. It's my opinion that ALL of the players should still participate. Talk about defining moments, This will either make or break the UPA. Are they planning to set up picket lines outside??

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah this is my first US Open. But like I said in another post, I know some of the other non NY Pros that'll be there so I'm not sweating it. I'm also looking forward to meeting my fellow CCBers. It's the highlight of my whole trip.

09-01-2002, 05:58 PM
mika, CW, tony, and frankie are very good friends. CW was in nyc last week, and hung out with mika. A LOT! if CW said so, as you say, then i believe it is so. mika, i have always felt, is one who has always committed to loyalty. because has signed on as a upa member, i believe he would be faithful to the intent of the upa declaration, even though the upa is not prohibiting its members to play in the open.

Vicki
09-03-2002, 10:17 AM
I never wonder if it is worth it. But I have to tell you, I have never felt so badly about anything that has happened in this industry. I believe that we are right on the cusp of something really great happening in pool, with the PPV at the Open, ESPN was shown some videos of live televised pool in Europe (Mosconi Cup, I think) and they were really impressed, the men are on the verge of having an organization - something that is desperately needed in Men's Professional Pool. It is just so sad that all that is hardly being noticed while we watch this sanctioning issue. Too bad, really.

TomBrooklyn
09-03-2002, 12:11 PM
If I'm one of the top ten or fifteen players in the world, and I'm thinking that most of the other top fifteen are not going, about a day before the tournament, I'm thinking I'm going to go down there and rob it. Of course, if most of the other top fifteen are thinking the same thing, they all wind up going.

jjinfla
09-03-2002, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> I believe that we are right on the cusp of something really great happening in pool, with the PPV at the Open, ESPN was shown some videos of live televised pool in Europe (Mosconi Cup, I think) and they were really impressed, the men are on the verge of having an organization - something that is despirately needed in Men's Professional Pool. It is just so sad that all that is hardly being noticed while we watch this sanctioning issue. Too bad, really. <hr></blockquote>

I agree with you Vicki. Too bad the players can't see the big picture. It sure would be nice if some of the top players would have spent some time in school studying economics or business. All they focus on is the top prize and what's in it for them. As far as last year Barry could have cancelled the Open. Everyone would have to go home and they would all lose their entry fee. I'm sure that wouldn't make any of them happy. Barry would have suffered a huge loss and his company would be forced to file bunkruptcy. His creditors would be first in line for any of the money he collected in entry fees and ticket sales. But he didn't do that. Instead he tried to work with the players and make the best of it. I don't know Barry but I personally think he did the right thing. Checking his website it seems to be very professional and he is offering a great opportunity to the pool players. Something that they were always crying for. Now when it is within reach they refuse to step up and grab it. Hope you can talk some sense to Mika. Hope he understands that it is honorable to fight for his principles, just make sure that they are valid and worth fighting for, and are really his principles and not someone else's who really cares less about him. Jake