PDA

View Full Version : Pointing at the spot

KalboKev
10-19-2010, 05:39 AM
I live in the Philippines, and Pinoy's have a "bad" habit of pointing at the spot where the cue ball will end up. It's showboating, plain and simple. Haven't seen Ralf Souquet or Mikka Inommen be like that. No need for that sort of arrogance. Efren does at at times, "depending" on who's watching.
Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, sportsmanship wise.

BCA Master Instr
10-19-2010, 09:10 AM
It's a great visual tool.....

Brian in VA
10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Showboating? Hmmmm...if they're landing on the spot that they've selected, I prefer to call that mastery of the rock. Wish I could do that at a 50% clip myself.

Brian in VA

Icon of Sin
10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I do it on certain shots to help visualize where I want the ball. That's how I was taught. However, the players you are mentioning could be doing it to showboat. Would like an assclown though if you miss the spot.

pooltchr
10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Many players use their cut to point and help visualize the aim point for a shot. I don't see where this is a lot different.

Pool is a visual activity, so anything that helps is probably a good thing.

Steve

Rich R.
10-22-2010, 06:41 AM
I've seen most of these players and I think the pointing is all part of their concentration and probably reverts back to the way they were taught. I don't think there is any showboating involved.

Bambu
10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Your mind shows you "the spot" before you take every shot. You know where it is, so theres no need to point to it. Once in awhile pointing can be fun, but beyond that I would consider it annoying.

kwikstroke
10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
A friend, now deceased, used to work for Brunswick setting up pool tables for Willie Hoppe. Hoppe traveled the land putting on pool shooting demonstrations promoting Brunswick tables. My friend says Hoppe would often take a silver dollar from his pocket and hand it to an observer, asking him to flip it onto the pool table. Then he took a chalk and drew a circle around the coin and replaced it in his pocket. Then, from wherever the cue ball lay, he would play a single, double and three-cushion shot stopping the cue ball inside that circle. Friends, that's cue ball control.

JoeW
10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
It is all to easy to get sloppy. When I practice I often place the chalk on the table to tell myself this is exactly where I want the cue ball up to but not touching the chalk. Of course you can't do this in a match but the practice leads to a habit of looking at the exact spot where the cue ball should come to rest.

A variation on this is to establish the line down which the cue ball should roll to that spot. There is an element of showboating by being obvious about it so I don't touch the cloth with my stick. There is no need to embarass my self either! None-the-less, knowing exactly where I want the cue ball is important to me. I can't just say that was "close enough."

bataisbest
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I do it too. It is very helpful for me because it lets me see the shot and follow-up position better. In fact, I don't just point to the spot, I also touch all the rails that will get me to that spot too! I play better since I started to do this . I don't think it's showboating as long as you do it for yourself and not the audience or your opponent. To me, Fist pumping and talking smack is more showboating than pointing to the spot where you want to be for your next shot.

Rich R.
10-24-2010, 09:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your mind shows you "the spot" before you take every shot. You know where it is, so theres no need to point to it. Once in awhile pointing can be fun, but beyond that I would consider it annoying. </div></div>
The OP was specific about the Phillipino players pointing to the spot. I have seen almost all of them play, at one time or another, and when they point to a spot, they are usually deep in concentration. Sometimes they point at spots on the rails where the ball will hit and then the spot on the table where the ball will stop. There is absolutely no showboating about what they are doing. I stand by my theory that it is the way they were taught to do things the same way you may have been taught a pre shot routine. If it works for them, why should any of us question it.

The only time I would find this annoying would be if I was playing one of them and they hit their exact spot every single time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Bambu
10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I see your point Rich. If done in a calculating sort of way it wouldnt bother me. It would only bother me if the person constantly did it for the crowd.

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see your point Rich. If done in a calculating sort of way it wouldnt bother me. It would only bother me if the person constantly did it for the crowd. </div></div>
From what I have seen from the Philipino players, there is no showboating at all. In fact, I have seen some top American players do similar things during big matches and I never got the feeling they were showboating either. When these players point to a spot on the table, I would compare it to some one talking to themselves. They are sort of thinking out loud.

Bambu
10-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Efren seems low key, so does Busta, Parica and Kiamco.

The only Filipino I can think of who showboats is Alex Pagulayan.
I once watched him get near perfect on the 9 for the last game of his match. He looked towards his opponent, shot the 9 while still looking at him, missed it, but got a lucky safe and still won the match.

After that game, god invented 10 ball!

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Efren seems low key, so does Busta, Parica and Kiamco.

The only Filipino I can think of who showboats is Alex Pagulayan.
I once watched him get near perfect on the 9 for the last game of his match. He looked towards his opponent, shot the 9 while still looking at him, missed it, but got a lucky safe and still won the match.

After that game, god invented 10 ball!

</div></div>
Alex is a totally different animal from the rest. LOL
I think Alex showboats in everything he does. That is just Alex and that is why most people like him.

JJFSTAR
10-28-2010, 07:34 AM
So I am going to sound like a total a$$ here but ok so be it. The only possible relevance of his/her pointing at the spot, or any other idiosyncrasy that falls within the rules of the game is; can I use this to gain an advantage?

In this case the answer is absolutely positively YES! I can use this at the bargaining table before a money game, tell him that it is illegal to mark the table, use it to determine what he does or does not know or understand etc..

The underlying reason that he is doing it be to “showboat” or using it as a visual aid is completely irrelevant. Lastly if you allow his idiosyncrasy, style or other tools that he uses while playing to annoy, frustrate or bring out other negative feelings during play I have a news flash for you, more players will do this against you.

Bambu
10-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Showboating is not irrelevant, it defines your personality. I love taking guys like that down when I can. But win or lose, you wont find me talking to the same guy after the match. Its usually the same people that wont acknowledge your presence unless you win a major event. You win, and suddenly you become "Sonny Boy." F that.

JJFSTAR
10-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I meant irrelevant to the game being played at the time.