PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

eg8r
10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Who is using it to stream movies? I love it and with the new upgraded software for the PS3 it now loads faster and offers 5.1 surround. I also love that I no longer need to worry about a disc.

The news on the street is that Netflix might be moving to a streaming only service and charge a premium for those that want an actual disc. I am stoked about this. For a while I felt bad aobut leaving Blockbuster but I have never looked back. Sure there are times when I want a movie right away and I head to Blockbuster but if Netflix starts streaming everything then I won't need to worry about that anymore either.

eg8r

sack316
10-23-2010, 05:45 AM
loving it on my PS3.

Come to think of it, I don't recall a single thing I have yet to love about netflix. One of the most well run companies I have ever seen!

Sack

eg8r
10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Man, we have one boring board here. If it is not political they just don't post. Oh well, back to the subject...I agree I love Netflix. I don't think I have even bothered with the mailings because we watch the streaming stuff all the time. Once they start streaming the brand new stuff it will be even better.

eg8r

Deeman3
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I am thinking about using this for my I-pad. How long would it take to download a movie on the I-Pad, anyone have any idea? Mine is a 64G with Wi Fi and 3G. How much are movies this way. So far, i have only watched movies I have uploaded fomr my DVD player from a disc. If I streamed them,m would I be able to stop in the middle of the movies and watch it later, say in a few days or do i have to "consume" it in one sitting?

Thanks

sack316
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm not 100% sure how the application would work on Ipad deeman, but I assume it will be the same way it streams to PC's or game consoles... in which case you can pick up right where you left off on a movie

Sack

eg8r
10-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Netflix does not work that way, you don't download the movie (in the physical way you are thinking) to your iPad. What happens is that you are streaming the movie on your iPad. Same thing as if you were to go to Hulu.com on your computer and watch a movie. The movie you want to watch will be up and running in a few seconds. The length of time to build a useful buffer depends on your connection but I have seen great results on my iPhone.

The great part about Netflix is that you can treat your movies the same way you do a DVD. Lets say you start watching a movie and you have to stop to run an errand. When you come back to the app it will ask you whether you want to continue streaming where you left off. If you decide you don't want to and you want to watch something else then that is fine. Let's say you do watch something else but then want to go back to the original movie and finish it (note this could be minutes, weeks or months later), Netflix will store where you were the last time you were watching the movie. When you select the movie you have the choice of starting over or continue where you left off.

It gets even better than that. Let's say you were sitting in line at the bank or somewhere and you start to watch a movie or tv show and you have to stop watching. Then later in the day you are at home and want to finish watching that movie. You could log onto your account through your computer and pick up where you left off. This happens all the time with my family. We could be in a restaurant and my daughter is watching Hannah Montana (through Netlix on my iPhone). We turn it off when the food gets to the table. Then when we get home, she turns on my PS3 and tv and picks up where she left off at dinner. What you were watching is stored on the Netflix server instead of being cached on the local device making the service completely device-independent.

Your instant queue can be updated from your iPad or your computer or any other Netflix streaming device and it is instantaneous. Since I travel quite a bit I was happy to see the output block on the iPhone removed. Now when I am in a hotel and don't like the TV selection I can plug my iPhone into the TV and stream Netflix.

eg8r

Deeman3
10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Ed,

Super! I was hoping it would be like that, the bonus being I can watch the end on my lartop if I want to.

I guess I need to buy one of those I-pad adapters so I can plug into the Tv at home or travelling. I just ordered a connector this morning so I can more easily transfer pictures and vidoe form my computer and camera to the I-Pad. You know, connectors are where they are making their money, I think. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Since the I-Pad does not have a USB, you need a little wallet of connectors and cables.

Thanks for the input on Netflix, I'll be joining now.

eg8r
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, connectors are a pain. Make sure you buy the Apple branded video cables because some of the third-party cables do not have a charging option. The Apple brand cables will charge the iPad while you are watching the movie on the TV. The issue is not whether the iPad has enough juice to make it through a movie because there is plenty but using this option allows you to watch a full movie then take the iPad with you elsewhere and not worry about an dead battery.

One thing to note about Netflix, if you do care about physical media and want blu-ray discs then there is an additional $1/month fee for that option. I would suggest using the one month trial to see if you like the service. If so keep it, if not walk away.

eg8r

Deeman3
10-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I will do the one month trial. I also only buy the Apple attachments, cables and so forth as I don't want any excuses it I have problems with the system, which I have not. I use the keyboard that recharges, plus I am going to get a pair of the Bluetooth headphones as I can just stick it in the back of my motorcycle and listen to my music avoiding the need for an extra I-pod as it has that feature. I have an extra cable that DeeWoman had on an I-pod (wasted $150) that she got wet, now it is toast but at least the cable is good for something. She has gone back to her cheaper MP3 as they seem to be more waterproof.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

eg8r
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Sucks about the wet iPod. I love my bluetooth headphones. They are Plantronics (Altec Lansing is manufacturer) from AT&T. It is so nice to be wireless. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is using it to stream movies? I love it and with the new upgraded software for the PS3 it now loads faster and offers 5.1 surround. I also love that I no longer need to worry about a disc.

The news on the street is that Netflix might be moving to a streaming only service and charge a premium for those that want an actual disc. I am stoked about this. For a while I felt bad aobut leaving Blockbuster but I have never looked back. Sure there are times when I want a movie right away and I head to Blockbuster but if Netflix starts streaming everything then I won't need to worry about that anymore either.

eg8r</div></div>

Been a while since I was with Netflix. Do you stream the most current released movies too? That's all I'd be interested in because when I had their service, it was hell getting a new release as an old customer. They loved you when you were new, but you drew hind tit with new releases when you were a tenured customer. sid

eg8r
10-26-2010, 06:41 AM
At this point new releases are not being streamed. This is the direction that their business is heading. There are talks that at some point next year it will cost a premium if you want a disc delivered to your home.

eg8r