PDA

View Full Version : Silence....

Voodoo Daddy
08-31-2002, 11:23 PM
After having a lengthly conversation about the UPA and B Berhman with a close friend, I have decided to take a break from posting. It seems that the board has taking an ugly turn between "Hottest WPBA Players" and "Charlie vs. Barry". I will lurk for a week or two and send private messeges with those who need to see my text but I want to see if it will straighten itself up or go to new lows. I have become the poster I have always made fun of, and I dont like that so for now....POOF

SPetty
09-01-2002, 07:37 AM
I, for one, will miss your wisdom and will be a lesser person for it. If I (was/were?) able to make it to the Open, I'd punch you in the arm...

bluewolf
09-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Hate to see you go too voodoo daddy. Why not start some pool related threads? Many of the others will die out in a day or so like they always do.

In the meantime, please add me to your list of people receiving pvt mail. i have a lot to learn and need all the knowlege I can get.

bluewolf

Rich R.
09-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Voodoo, do not go too far. You have always been one of the more level headed posters on this board. The CCB will suffer without you.
If you still choose to stay away, I look forward to meeting you at the Open.
Rich R.

stickman
09-01-2002, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> After having a lengthly conversation about the UPA and B Berhman with a close friend, I have decided to take a break from posting. It seems that the board has taking an ugly turn between "Hottest WPBA Players" and "Charlie vs. Barry". I will lurk for a week or two and send private messeges with those who need to see my text but I want to see if it will straighten itself up or go to new lows. I have become the poster I have always made fun of, and I dont like that so for now....POOF <hr></blockquote>

Voodoo, Your point is well taken here. I have allowed myself to participate in some of these more controversial postings, and feel a tinge of guilt. These type postings are not what drew me to this board. As far as who the hottest WPBA player is, I don't have a problem with that as long as it is done in a tasteful manner. The title could have been a little more tasteful, and there were some very tasteless postings. As long as we have the vast numbers of personalities, and posters here, there will always be an element of conflict or disagreement, the problem is like all things, when it's taken to excess. I respect your decision, but hope you will not disappear entirely. Myself, I am going to make a concious effort to avoid participating in the more controversial threads.

Q-guy
09-01-2002, 08:48 AM
The real problem is when a post is made to a thread, it resurrects the entire thread. A once forgotten thread becomes active again and gets even longer. I have been watching and a number of what could have been interesting pool related threads get pushed down the board and lost with just a hand full of views. Yet a thread like Patrick for president has thousands of views with posters posting multiple times, saying meaningless things, keeping it going. I think the type of posters may have changed a little as the board has grown. It is not so hard-core pool related as it once was. God forbid some try to discuss anything gambling related. The same ones who don't care or know anything about the subject, chime right in preaching their views on the evils of gambling when it had nothing to do with what was being discussed. I for one, I don't post just to hear, (see) myself talk. If I have nothing of value to add, or if it has already been said, I try not to add to the clutter. It must be annoying for the ones on here that like to read all the posts, to open posts that say nothing more then, "LOL," or "Yeah I agree," Or have wandered off the subject of the thread altogether, my biggest beef. Having said all that, as these boards go, this one is better then most, but I doubt I read much more then 10% of the posts anymore.

Vapros
09-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Hear! Hear! It's very encouraging to find some of my favorite regulars recognizing the weaknesses of a lot of our threads and habits. I'm with you. Let's talk about pool, and think twice before making unnecessary posts. Many messages should be sent privately, rather than appended to a pool topic.

There are enough good people communicating here to enable us to take it on ourselves to improve this forum. Let's do it.

09-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone, I am brand new to this board and FWIW this thread is what finally motivated me to stop lurking and get involved.

Response to this thread suggests that there is at least some vocal contingent interested in pursuing intelligent discussion and debate relating to billiards.

Voodoo Daddy, if your original post was a plea for sanity, perhaps you have found it. You are not alone. Perhaps even more lurkers, like myself, will head the call and join in to provide a balanced discussion on ‘real’ billiards topics.

CueBald

Still trying to find the meaning of life on a slab of slate.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-01-2002, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> After having a lengthly conversation about the UPA and B Berhman with a close friend, I have decided to take a break from posting. It seems that the board has taking an ugly turn between "Hottest WPBA Players" and "Charlie vs. Barry". I will lurk for a week or two and send private messeges with those who need to see my text but I want to see if it will straighten itself up or go to new lows. I have become the poster I have always made fun of, and I dont like that so for now....POOF <hr></blockquote>

VooDoo,
I will miss you posts. And, to defend the purpose of this forum, a forum about pool related subjects, your imput will be missed.

This is a forum dedicated to pool people talking about pool. Pool embodies all aspects of the industry that is away from the table: promoters, tournaments, formats, organizations, player profiles, and so on.

I enjoy reading all the different views posted in these forums, BD CCB, AZ Billiards and even Playpool.com.

You views will be missed.

Nostroke
09-01-2002, 10:49 AM
You are saying the UPA not sanctioning the US OPEN and the surrounding issues is not a relevant topic for this board?

What should we discuss, Cue sticks and deflection for the millionth time?

nAz
09-01-2002, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> You are saying the UPA not sanctioning the US OPEN and the surrounding issues is not a relevant topic for this board?

What should we discuss, Cue sticks and deflection for the millionth time? <hr></blockquote>

LMAO...

i think that hottest wpba was not relevant. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif i have no Imagination, Next time ill post something of more intrest like that best way to empty a ash tray in a pool hall.
Voodoo D take it easy

Ralph S.
09-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Voodoo, from my point of view, I don't think you should stop posting. You have always seemed to really enjoy posting here. I can see and relate to a good portion of why you are dismayed. The WPBA thing being what I can relate to. On the other hand, I do feel that the UPA sanctioning-US Open ordeal is a viable subject for discussion on this board if done with a little intelligence. Sooooo, stick around for a while as many of us will miss you and you know you will miss us and the board.
Ralph S.

TomBrooklyn
09-01-2002, 01:54 PM
I didn't think it was relavent, but over seventy people commented and four thousand people read it, so what do I know? I'm looking forward to the ashtray discussion.

I'll bet TFBDVD Magic is unhappy becasue two Opens in a row are getting screwed up, plus the New York thing a year ago.

nAz
09-01-2002, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I didn't think it was relavent, but over seventy people commented and four thousand people read it, so what do I know? I'm looking forward to the ashtray discussion.

I'll bet TFBDVD Magic is unhappy becasue two Opens in a row are getting screwed up, plus the New York thing a year ago. <hr></blockquote>
U r right Tom ... what do you know. j/k cya tuesday
ill explain the fine art of pool room ashtray disposal

Chris Cass
09-01-2002, 09:25 PM
I for one am not happy with your decision to lurk. I however will back you up in any decision you make. Any day, any time, and against any one. I also, don't have a clue what the heck your talking about but that's me. LOL I find it hard to believe you to be one, not to speak his mind on any subject.

Regards,

C.C.~~stuck with Kato.....

TomBrooklyn
09-01-2002, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>Voodoo......just flying under the radar for now <hr></blockquote>I think it's a little difficult for you to get under the radar. Are you lying down?

Kato
09-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll remember that.

Kato~~~Heide is stuck with Chris./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
09-02-2002, 07:08 AM
Quit it,

You know there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you lil brother. Stuck isn't anything bad. I'd rather be stuck with you than a sharp stick in the eye. LMAO

C.C.~~yes, she's stuck too. LOLLOL

bluewolf
09-02-2002, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr>

LMAO...

i think that hottest wpba was not relevant. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif i have no Imagination, Next time ill post something of more intrest like that best way to empty a ash tray in a pool hall.
Voodoo D take it easy <hr></blockquote>

i did not like the wpba thread either but who am i,just one person.so i skip the threads i dont like and read the ones i do like or have valuable pool info

bluewolf

Karatemom
09-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Wait a minute here. I'm not stuck. I could leave anytime I want. I choose not to. So there!!! Besides, I need Chris to help me with my pool game, LOLOLOLOL.

Heide ~ lucky to have a hubby and friends like you

Karatemom
09-02-2002, 08:40 AM
You are free to do what you want, Voodoo. But let it be known that you will be missed. Chris already went through Voodoo withdrawls last week, don't know if he could handle this, ROFL.

Heide ~ keep in touch friend