PDA

View Full Version : When did one pocket replace 9 ball for action

09-01-2002, 12:04 AM
I hung around the Texas state open after the matches to take a look at the after hours action . There must have been 4 one pocket money games for every 9 ball game. There were a couple of two ahead for $3000 matches going on and some of the kids playing these one pocket matches didn't look old enough to drink. I know I have been away for awhile but when did this happen. i even saw VV in a one pocket money match.

09-01-2002, 01:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fatsam:</font><hr> I hung around the Texas state open after the matches to take a look at the after hours action . There must have been 4 one pocket money games for every 9 ball game. There were a couple of two ahead for $3000 matches going on and some of the kids playing these one pocket matches didn't look old enough to drink. I know I have been away for awhile but when did this happen. i even saw VV in a one pocket money match. <hr></blockquote>

Always has been the best pool game,especially for wagering imo

Glad to see the younger players picking it up as well.BS

NH_Steve
09-01-2002, 06:32 AM
It's the personal game of choice for alot of players, in after tournament action. Here's a few reasons why:

1) It's a lot more 'fun' to play than 9-ball, with all 1P's crazy shots, take outs &amp; ingenous safety moves.

2) You can always find an 'even' game (if you can get past the sandbagging, posturing &amp; dickering /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif !), 'cuz it lends itself to handicapping adjustments so easily.

3) Also, even though there is luck in One Pocket, the game still largely swings on who thinks &amp; executes the best in a given match...

4) Even when you're down, you know you always have a chance to move &amp; shoot your way back in -- you're never 'out' of a 1P game

Troy
09-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Actually, I think 1-Pocket has been the game for action for quite a while, in the 60's and maybe earlier.

Troy...~~~ Tries to learn something new about 1-P every day

NH_Steve
09-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Troy, here's a shot for you -- a double-kiss carom! I actually played this &amp; made it yesterday -- I ran the loose balls, but did end up losing by a bank on the last ball a bit later /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

I was partly hooked by the 9-ball, so couldn't see enough of the 1-ball to cut it to my pocket, so I played the 1-ball into the two balls on the foot rail, and the 11-ball (frozen to the foot rail) double-kissed the 1-ball into my pocket. It was a fairly soft hit, and went in like a charm! Of course I was behind &amp; in a pickle, or I wouldn't have even looked at the shot, but it in fact it came up safe, even if it had not dropped.

Gotta love One Pocket!

START(
%AU1E8%IX2D0%JG8G4%KC8K4%OD3J2%PX6E1%UE9K2%VT3F2%W J1D4%XT4E1
%YV8E6%ZW8E3%eB4`3%f7%g3%_C4[2%`D3Q7%aD9K7
)END

The link to the WEI table if you need it:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

OnePocketChamp
09-02-2002, 10:58 AM
9 ball is like a one night stand (slam, bam, thank-you mame), where a good game of one hole is like a first date (dinner, fine wine, interesting conversation and maybe a kiss at the door). The game proves to be more captivating, requires a different mind set and truly demonstrates a complete pool level ability. Once you discover one pocket it is sometimes very difficult to go back to 9-ball and the greater danger is you find yourself looking for chess games on the WWW. BALL BANGERS BEWARE ONE HOLE IS NOT FOR YOU!!!

Troy
09-02-2002, 12:46 PM
I like it Steve... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif But in all honesty, I doubt I would have spotted the shot... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Troy...~~~ As I said, I trying to learn a bit more each day.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> Troy, here's a shot for you -- a double-kiss carom! I actually played this &amp; made it yesterday -- I ran the loose balls, but did end up losing by a bank on the last ball a bit later /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

I was partly hooked by the 9-ball, so couldn't see enough of the 1-ball to cut it to my pocket, so I played the 1-ball into the two balls on the foot rail, and the 11-ball (frozen to the foot rail) double-kissed the 1-ball into my pocket. It was a fairly soft hit, and went in like a charm! Of course I was behind &amp; in a pickle, or I wouldn't have even looked at the shot, but it in fact it came up safe, even if it had not dropped.

Gotta love One Pocket!

START(
%AU1E8%IX2D0%JG8G4%KC8K4%OD3J2%PX6E1%UE9K2%VT3F2%W J1D4%XT4E1
%YV8E6%ZW8E3%eB4`3%f7%g3%_C4[2%`D3Q7%aD9K7
)END

The link to the WEI table if you need it:
<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html>http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html</a> <hr></blockquote>

dddd
09-04-2002, 12:24 AM
one pocket has been around many years, many longer that my memory can remember.
johnson city it was played in a major tournament there in the sixtys.
many of the old time players were playing before that for certain.
in some cases it has trouble getting used in tournaments
due to the length a game can last.

when gambling there is not the time constraints
its easy to match up and provide a equal game
its is more of a thinking game, given a suitation there can be many answers, and in 9 ball there is only one answer,
the shooters eye or the thinkers head

i find as i have aged now i see why all the oldtimers played the game, it can be fast, and slow, hard or easy
but it always provides a chance to win if you dont make mistakes

players who play 9 ball need to shoot well,
one pocket players it helps to shoot well, but it doesnt exclude them if they dont they can overcome another way
and there are many ways to play one pocket

bye

shayla
09-04-2002, 07:40 AM
FatSam,

My boyfriend must have been one of those guys in those after hours one pocket matches. He doesn't play much one pocket, but he's a good 9-ball player (in my opinion). I think its easier for him to match up with someone to make the game more equal than 9-ball.

When Cliff Joyner was in Austin for a couple of months a few years back, it would literally take hours for him to be able to match up with someone to play 9-ball, but no where near that long for him to match up with him playing one-pocket. He'd give an insane spot in one-pocket and anyone would take it. Giving someone like 12-4 seemed like a better spot than lets say giving them the 7-ball. No one had a chance against Cliff getting 12-4, but anyone has a chance getting the 7-ball if you win the flip. But, they'd take the 12-4 spot because anyone thinks they can run 4 balls. Well, not if you're playing Cliff Joyner!

I learned a lot those few months!