PDA

View Full Version : Amazing PBS Programming Over The Weekend

Gayle in MD
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Much of it I recorded, because I was out, or watching the Skins! Go Skins!

The program about Crows, on PBS, blew my mind! I had no idea how intelliegent they are, or how many different kinds of Crows there are, around the world.

Also, the experimments presented a good deal of documentation, supporting the Theory of Evolution, as well.

If you have the chance to view it in your area, don't miss it, it's spellbinding.

G.

Deeman3
10-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I watched the special on Crows. It was interesting to see how much problem solving capability they have. The retrieving a tool to retreive a useable tool was quite a surprise as you only expect higher/larger brained specimens to have that skill.

I watch much of the non-political portions on PBS. They are often much better at looking more in-depth than more mainstream programs.

Gayle in MD
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched the special on Crows. It was interesting to see how much problem solving capability they have. The retrieving a tool to retreive a useable tool was quite a surprise as you only expect higher/larger brained specimens to have that skill.

I watch much of the non-political portions on PBS. They are often much better at looking more in-depth than more mainstream programs. </div></div>

It was a great show, and yes, their programming is excellent, IMO...but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I watch much of the non-political portions on PBS. </div></div>

....so is their politicall programming.

You should look into that, also. Everything about government, and politics, and history, is full of documentation. Particularly "Frontline" and "Amereican Experience."

I loved the show about the crows.

hondo
10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Why be surprised? Remember Heckel and Jeckle?

Thet were evil but intelligent. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
They are more balanced on total than many media outlets and do an impressive job of covering the world. I'll give on that point. I also like the fact they put people in the field that will spend enough time covering a story, despite their reporter's strained attempts to color stories through their world view. Of course, all media does that. The biggest colloring is not political, although it exists. It is the attempt to make every story heart tugging or persuasive when that is not always justified. Sure, we wll care about AIDES victims in African and they even gave GWB his proper due as the most active President in this arena but always treat the subject as hapeless victims, completely unable to be or stay educated, always pointing to the West's policies that lead to crisis and almost never to the poor self-government or the poor choices made by Africa. Corruption there is glazed over for a focus on what we did wrong.

Anyway, they can and often do good news. When they break down, it is apparent for all but the most blind to see. Despite these shortcomings, I have supported NPR for a long time and will probably continue to do so when I get over the Williams abuse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
10-26-2010, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why be surprised? Remember Heckel and Jeckle?

Thet were evil but intelligent. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I used to love them when I was little.

hondo
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why be surprised? Remember Heckel and Jeckle?

Thet[y] were evil but intelligent. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Typo! My bad!