PDA

View Full Version : 2011- 10th Annual US Open/CCB event

10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to put this out there:

Hey, just to throw it out there, next year will be our *10th Annual CCB/US Open event*. 10 years, guys.

I know we will have all year to plan it, but I hope we can make it a lil more festive. I'm thinking about pictures from years past and maybe presenting Barry with something from all of us.

Thoughts?

Eric >marking my calendar

dg-in-centralpa
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Eric,
I agree we should give Barry something. He mentions us in the program as well as during the finals, and donates table time to our tourney. I will donate a gift to him as well as to our tournament.

Duane

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry, but I responded to the other post before seeing this one. The following is what I posted there:

Eric, I'm all for doing something special next year, especially for Barry. In fact, I would suggest we follow Barry's lead.
This year, during his special celebration, Barry presented some members of his staff with a replica of the U.S. Open trophy with the placks saying they were in appreciation for their work. If Brian doesn't mind the extra work, we could give Barry a CCB Trophy with an inscription thanking him for his support over the 10 years. I would be happy to chip in for any expense involved in making this for Barry.

As far as pictures go, I probably have as many as anybody. The only problem is figuring out how to display them.
First, to print that many pictures, could be very costly.
Second, you wouldn't want a pile of loose pictures floating around and transporting something to display them on would be difficult to transport for any of us.
If anyone has some suggestions, I'm open to it. I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

Brian in VA
10-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Planning.....I'm not familiar with the term.

Just kidding! Great ideas everybody!

I will absolutely create a CCB trophy for Barry; he has been a friend of the group's since the start!

As far as pictures, how about just creating a slide show and having it playing during the tournament? If anyone sees a shot they want you to print, they can tell you and give you the cash to do so. You could have a number in one corner of the screen, indicating the pic, and a sign up sheet for pictures and the investment would be your time. Thoughts?

BK

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Planning.....I'm not familiar with the term.

I will absolutely create a CCB trophy for Barry; he has been a friend of the group's since the start!

As far as pictures, how about just creating a slide show and having it playing during the tournament? If anyone sees a shot they want you to print, they can tell you and give you the cash to do so. You could have a number in one corner of the screen, indicating the pic, and a sign up sheet for pictures and the investment would be your time. Thoughts?

BK </div></div>
Brian, I assume you mean a slide show on a computer and I think I could put something like that together with the software I have. I'm not sure about being able to put numbers in the corner of the screen but, if some one wanted a print, I'm sure we could work something out.

10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Planning.....I'm not familiar with the term.

BK </div></div>
Brian, I assume you mean a slide show on a computer and I think I could put something like that together with the software I have. I'm not sure about being able to put numbers in the corner of the screen but, if some one wanted a print, I'm sure we could work something out. </div></div>

There is an easy solution to the picture prints...

Walgreens allows you to upload pics to their site. All you have to do is create an account. Once the pics are up, anyone can order a print that prints to their local Walgreens. You pick it up and pay for it yourself, locally. We can make a "ccb pic account", share the login and pass via pm, and all upload to the same account. This way, whoever wants prints can order, pick up and pay for them at their local Walgreens.

This might work better than sticking Rich with the tab, lol!

Eric

10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Walgreens also has a "create group" function; maybe we can use that for our group. The nice part is that there are over 7000 Walgreens locations, so everybody should have close access to one. Once the pics are uploaded, anyone can view them via the Net. Most of us have smart phones and I think Q Masters has wi fi, so viewing pics while mobile is easy, no need to print em out.

In addition to the CCB plaque, maybe we can make a "CCB program/photo album" with all the pics, sorted by year. We could all sign it and present that, along with the trophy/plaque?

Eric

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walgreens also has a "create group" function; maybe we can use that for our group. The nice part is that there are over 7000 Walgreens locations, so everybody should have close access to one. Once the pics are uploaded, anyone can view them via the Net. Most of us have smart phones and I think Q Masters has wi fi, so viewing pics while mobile is easy, no need to print em out.

In addition to the CCB plaque, maybe we can make a "CCB program/photo album" with all the pics, sorted by year. We could all sign it and present that, along with the trophy/plaque?

Eric </div></div>
Although all of this sounds great, I have to look at the other side and ask, how many people really want prints of these pictures? Frankly, when I post pictures to the forums, they don't get that many views. I have to believe even less would want to pay for prints of those pictures.

Since I probably have the most pictures, let me explain my situation.

Most people, with point and shoot cameras or cell phones take jpg format pictures and they can easily post them on any picture sharing site. They also don't bother with any type of image processing. Whenever I take photos, I take RAW format pictures and they have to be converted to jpg and resized before posting them to a sharing site. The picture files are way too large for email or internet use. I also do image editing, color correction, etc. before posting them. Another point is that I can't possibly store all of my pictures in my computer and I would have to reload them in my computer before I started any of this.

All in all, I'm talking about a lot of hours at the computer. I have a year to do it and I don't mind doing it, but if no one wants these prints, I would prefer using my time elsewhere. After all, through the years, I have already given pictures to any one who has asked for them.

10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walgreens also has a "create group" function; maybe we can use that for our group. The nice part is that there are over 7000 Walgreens locations, so everybody should have close access to one. Once the pics are uploaded, anyone can view them via the Net. Most of us have smart phones and I think Q Masters has wi fi, so viewing pics while mobile is easy, no need to print em out.

Eric </div></div>
Although all of this sounds great, I have to look at the other side and ask, how many people really want prints of these pictures? Frankly, when I post pictures to the forums, they don't get that many views. I have to believe even less would want to pay for prints of those pictures.

Most people, with point and shoot cameras or cell phones take jpg format pictures and they can easily post them on any picture sharing site. They also don't bother with any type of image processing. Whenever I take photos, I take RAW format pictures and they have to be converted to jpg and resized before posting them to a sharing site. The picture files are way too large for email or internet use. I also do image editing, color correction, etc. before posting them. Another point is that I can't possibly store all of my pictures in my computer and I would have to reload them in my computer before I started any of this.

All in all, I'm talking about a lot of hours at the computer. I have a year to do it and I don't mind doing it, but if no one wants these prints, I would prefer using my time elsewhere. After all, through the years, I have already given pictures to any one who has asked for them. </div></div>

Hmmm, this is gonna take a lil more thought.

Maybe we can still use the Walgreens site for those that do have jpg pics and such. I know, I have a handful, from over the years.

For your pics, in RAW format, I'm not too sure what the best action might be. Maybe, you can pick out a couple or three pics from each year (group shot, tourney winners, etc) and convert/post those? I can understand what a chore it would be to convert 100 pics. What do you suggest, Rich?

Eric

Rich R.
10-27-2010, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walgreens also has a "create group" function; maybe we can use that for our group. The nice part is that there are over 7000 Walgreens locations, so everybody should have close access to one. Once the pics are uploaded, anyone can view them via the Net. Most of us have smart phones and I think Q Masters has wi fi, so viewing pics while mobile is easy, no need to print em out.

Eric </div></div>

All in all, I'm talking about a lot of hours at the computer. I have a year to do it and I don't mind doing it, but if no one wants these prints, I would prefer using my time elsewhere. After all, through the years, I have already given pictures to any one who has asked for them. </div></div>

Hmmm, this is gonna take a lil more thought.

Maybe we can still use the Walgreens site for those that do have jpg pics and such. I know, I have a handful, from over the years.

For your pics, in RAW format, I'm not too sure what the best action might be. Maybe, you can pick out a couple or three pics from each year (group shot, tourney winners, etc) and convert/post those? I can understand what a chore it would be to convert 100 pics. What do you suggest, Rich?

Eric </div></div>
Eric, I don't remember which year I started taking pictures at the CCB Dinner and Tournament, but I wouldn't mind posting a couple from each year that I have. I know I don't have any from the first year and maybe the second.

Before any of us go through the trouble of posting them to a site like Walgreens, I still think we need to know if any one really wants to get prints of them. From my past experience, I think the demand may be less than you think.

As far as a slide show goes, I think I can do one on my computer, with the software I have, and I can do it without converting or resizing my RAW images. I could set it up at the tournament and just let the slide show run for any one who wants to see it.

10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Good points, Rich.

My thoughts on posting to a website is that anyone can view it, at anytime. I do have some pics I stole from Tom (not)in Cincy. They were individual shots of us.

I'm hoping that some others with chime in. We have a year to sort it out.

Eric

Rich R.
10-28-2010, 11:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good points, Rich.

My thoughts on posting to a website is that anyone can view it, at anytime. I do have some pics I stole from Tom (not)in Cincy. They were individual shots of us.

I'm hoping that some others with chime in. We have a year to sort it out.

Eric </div></div>
Like you said, we hve a year to sort it out.

Icon of Sin
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm unsure if I will be able to make it next year. I won't know until the last minute.

If there is anything I can do to help though, count me in.

Brian in VA
10-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Heath, I never got your contact info. Send me a PM with your phone and email address so when I get to Charm City I can look you up.

Best of luck to you and your bride!

Brian

socrates
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Glad to see tourney is still going on.
Sounds like 10 year mark would be could time to round up all past participants such as myself.
Hope all is well with my friends at the CCB

Brian in VA
11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Steve! Good to see you, bud!

By all means, come to next year's event!

Brian in VA

11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow...so-crates, it's been a long time. I hope you do make a plan to go next year. A few of us have been discussing having a special 10 year party.

Eric

socrates
11-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I had forgotten about the so-crates.
Will watch for dates of 2011 event and try to attend.
Best wishes to all.