PDA

View Full Version : Missing at the Open...

Soflasnapper
10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Well, I saw a lot of people at the Open, including the return of most of the Filipinos compared to last year (Marlon Manalo about the only one I can think of not there.) Ginky made another of his rare appearances, and that's always great.

However, many people I've grown to expect there were missing. In no particular order:

Shannon Daulton
Larry Nevel
Sylver Ochoa
Tyler Edie
Mike Cueball 1950 (finances, as we read)
The Kuwaiti faction
TF Whittingham (the Southern Gentleman-- may have passed away?)
'Big Wave' Dave (?) (The surfer guy)
Tony Chohan
Tony Robles
Jeremy Jones
Kim Davenport (actually, he's only been there once, last year)
Mike Mason and Wes (I think of them as Siamese twins)
Marcus Chamat
Niels Feijen

Anyone know where these guys were? Any notables to add to the list?

Canadians Martel and Potier weren't there, but they haven't been coming except maybe once each since I've been going, so I don't count them. Same with Stalev, Tot and many other one-time wonders.

Brian in VA
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Chohan is in jail up in Ohio for a drug conviction.
Robles was busy running his pool tour, working and unable to get away for a week (according to Amy).
I thought I saw Chamat but maybe not.

Don't know about the rest of the guys.

Brian

Soflasnapper
10-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought I'd heard that about Chohan, but I didn't want to say it without being more certain.

How about missing this? I heard Scott Frost got cold-cocked and knocked out with one shot. So far, only a rumor.

Timberly
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, many people I've grown to expect there were missing. In no particular order:

Shannon Daulton
Larry Nevel
Sylver Ochoa
Tyler Edie
Mike Cueball 1950 (finances, as we read)
The Kuwaiti faction
TF Whittingham (the Southern Gentleman-- may have passed away?)
'Big Wave' Dave (?) (The surfer guy)
Tony Chohan
Tony Robles
Jeremy Jones
Kim Davenport (actually, he's only been there once, last year)
Mike Mason and Wes (I think of them as Siamese twins)
Marcus Chamat
Niels Feijen

Anyone know where these guys were? Any notables to add to the list? </div></div>

Just one notable - me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Like Tony Robles, Shannon Daulton's Great Southern Billiards Tour had an event this past wkend.

I don't think I've seen Dave Hemmah at an event East of Vegas since he & his wife had a baby a couple of years back. Then again, I don't get to all of the events either.

Hopefully I'll see ya'll next yr. BTW, that "rumor" isn't a rumor. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Rich R.
10-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Another notable player missing was Dennis Hatch.

Soflasnapper
10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Timberly, I miss you, but missed remembering to put you on the list! Big Steve, Voodoo Daddy, too.

Do you think Larry Nevel was at Shannon's tour event?

And I do not believe for one minute that Efren knocked out Frost after they broke even on sets!

10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow, it took you 3 years to find your way back here, Tims?? (welcome back)

Some more usual suspects missing from the Open:

Marlon Manalo
Jason Kirkwood
Ronnie Wiseman
Daryl Peach
Tony Chohan (in da big house)
Danny Harriman

*edit- I didn't check the player list; going by memory

Eric

Rich R.
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, it took you 3 years to find your way back here, Tims?? (welcome back)

Some more usual suspects missing from the Open:

Marlon Manalo
Jason Kirkwood
Ronnie Wiseman
Daryl Peach
Tony Chohan (in da big house)
Danny Harriman

*edit- I didn't check the player list; going by memory

Eric </div></div>
Ronnie Wiseman and Daryl Peach were definitely there. I saw both of their names on the charts and in fact, I saw Wiseman outside as I was leaving the convention center after the finals.

From past history, I don't think you will ever see Danny Harriman at the Open again. He has a long time beef with Brady Behrman.

10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Actually, i believe Danny Harriman played 2 years ago, when Mika won his first title.

I remember the beef you mentioned; it was over Brady's ill fated US Masters event.

Eric

Soflasnapper
10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Rich is right that both Wiseman and Peach were in the field.

Troy Frank sometimes comes, but not enough that his absence is unusual.

Steve Knight, a snooker player, came a couple of times but not recently.

CJ Wiley made one appearance recently when he was unretiring due to the IPT, but again, not any kind of regular.

Also missing this year: Mike LeBron's sloppy shorts and tennis shoes stylings. I think the dress code was to clean up his attire.

Rich R.
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Phil, approximately two years ago, I read that Troy Frank had given up playing and got a real job. I believe he has a wife and a child and he is no longer leading the life of a single pool player.

Soflasnapper
10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Rich, I was watching a Sam Diep interview with Sarah Rousey after her match with Chris Bartram. Sam asked why she was playing better, and Sarah said it was BECAUSE she got a job!

By which she explained she meant that not having to rely on winning at pool for a living, she was able to have more fun playing, and with commensurate improved results.

Rich R.
10-30-2010, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rich, I was watching a Sam Diep interview with Sarah Rousey after her match with Chris Bartram. Sam asked why she was playing better, and Sarah said it was BECAUSE she got a job!

By which she explained she meant that not having to rely on winning at pool for a living, she was able to have more fun playing, and with commensurate improved results.

</div></div>
Phil, what you may not know is that Sarah's boss is her mother, IIRC. Sarah is given the freedom to travel to tournaments and other pool events. Although Sarah isn't married, she does have a boy friend but he is also a pool player, Jason Klatt, and there are no children involved.
I don't think you can compare Sarah's situation to the situation of Troy Frank.

Soflasnapper
10-30-2010, 01:39 PM
So now I've been Paul Harveyed with... the REST of the story! Always more to it, I s'pose.

Rich R.
10-31-2010, 06:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So now I've been Paul Harveyed with... the REST of the story! Always more to it, I s'pose.

</div></div>
I doubt I'll ever be confused with Paul Harvey but, in this case, I happened to know a few little tidbits of information that you weren't aware of. I'm sure there is much more to this story that I don't know either.

Soflasnapper
11-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Forgot about Fred Agnir, whom we haven't seen in a couple of years IIRC. Anyone know what he's been up to?

Rich R.
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot about Fred Agnir, whom we haven't seen in a couple of years IIRC. Anyone know what he's been up to?

</div></div>
Fred is alive and well. I saw him at Valley Forge in March. He goes to a lot of pool events but I guess the Open isn't one of his priorities. He still writes a column for IP magazine but I've noticed it isn't in every month.

dg-in-centralpa
11-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Also forgot about Wendy AKA 9 Ball Girl.

Duane

Rich R.
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also forgot about Wendy AKA 9 Ball Girl.

Duane </div></div>
I've seen Wendy's name on the chat section of some of the streamed matches but that is all I know.