PDA

View Full Version : 14-1 Downingtown Final Day

houseman
09-01-2002, 10:12 AM
We are down to the final four players.
Allan Hopkins vs Steve Lipsky
Jack Colavita vs Dan Barouty
Play resumed at 12 noon and it should be an interesting day.
Not to take anything away from Jack, but when he beat Bob Maidhof most thought is was considered an upset.
This is the best Jack has played in all the years he has been coming here.
All the results are on the web site.
thanks for listening.

09-01-2002, 04:37 PM
hey houseman,
ever figure out where that strange cue ball came
from in jack and bob's match came from????
that was one heavy ball

TomBrooklyn
09-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Congrats on making it to the top four, Steve.

09-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Well, I'm back from the Downingtown tournament, and with a little bit of rest behind me now, here's a recap of the wonderful event.

What was originally supposed to be a 16 player field turned into a 14 player field due to two late dropouts. I think Pete is considering taking early, non-refundable entry fees in the future to guarantee attendance.

Early round matchups were strange, as many players had to battle with their travelling partners. Danny B and me, Jack Colavita and John Bender, Don Polo and Eddie Abraham. In a small tournament, though, I guess that's unavoidable.

Early round jitters were definitely a factor, as there weren't any huge runs on Friday night. This, even though the tables were playing beautifully, and are kept in sterling condition.

I won my first match against a very deliberate player. He's a really good shooter (gave Hopkins a scare later in the tournament), but awfully slow. If there were any sort of shot clock employed, he'd have been in serious trouble /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Still, a very, very nice guy and a tough competitor.

The next matches were on Saturday at noon. I lost to Danny, as he played a conservative game. No big runs, but he beat me handily with lots of 35-and-safes. Don Polo and Allen Hopkins had a battle, with both players running at least 70, and Don making a late rally to almost win.

I then played a kid named Justin Verna, who plays good 9-ball but didn't know a lot of straight pool moves (by his own admission), as was the case with my next match, Eddie Abraham. Eddie is an awesome 9-ball player, but again, doesn't play much straight pool. I was down 65-6 in that match, I think, but Eddie let me back in and I won 150-98 I think. When he learns the game, he's gonna be one of the best 14.1 players in the area.

At about this time, Jack Colavita was playing Bob Maidhof. Jack had Bob about 136-70, I think, and caught a bad scratch. Bob took advantage, and ran up to 141, before catching a freak scratch himself. Jack showed a ton of heart as he ran out a tough table under the gun.

Barouty then had to play Allen, and from what I heard, it was a great match. It was weird, because whenever I looked over at the table, Allen was shooting. But when it ended, Danny was victorious. Apparently, Danny broke the balls when he had 148, and got safe, needing one. He lost the safety battle, but Allen came up a little short in his comeback, and Danny got the W.

Later that night, I played a match against Maidhof that I will remember for a long, long time. I had 69 when I got tied up after a break shot. Bob punished me for it, running about 50 to 127. He missed a very makeable ball, and I remember I couldn't believe it. Bob is a great player, and he might not miss another ball like that for 10 years. Something in me clicked, and I knew it was my last opportunity. I caught a stroke, and ran 81-and-out. It was a very clean run until the last rack, when I caught a few nice rolls to keep it going. I have so much respect for Bob's game, and I guess I used that as an impetus.

The next morning, down to the final four, I lost to Allen about 150-66. I missed only a few balls, but Allen's won a thousand games where his opponent has missed less than that. I learned a lot while watching him, and although I was disappointed in the loss, it was an honor to play him. When Allen had 142, he had to play safe after the break shot. We engaged in a safety battle, and he left me way down table looking at a pretty closed rack. I found a ball that looked dead, but it had to be struck from the back of the rack to throw properly. I figured I had to go for it... a return safety would be nearly impossible, and if I made it, the balls would explode. I called the ball, the crowd got real quiet, and I... dogged my face off. Actually, it was a tough hit (I had to kick two rails, and hit a fairly precise spot), and I just missed it. But I really would've like to have seen what would've happened if it went. Maybe I'd have pulled something like I did in the Maidhof match, but I guess it was not to be. Still, how can anyone be upset in losing to Allen Hopkins? The guy's a legend...

Danny beat Jack during this time, running a 139 with an asterisk. The footnote came because he actually missed a break shot at 83, but another moving ball came and kicked the called ball in the called hole. Running another 56 after that was too much for anyone to take, and Jack succumbed. Still, a very respectable 3rd place finish for a great competitor.

The finals was quite sloppy, by both players' admission. There was only one run of more than 35 balls (Allen ran about a 60), and the table wasn't opening well due to the humidity outside. When the game concluded, it was Allen with the trophy and the lion's share of the money. I joked with them both at the end of the match, "I can't believe I lost to you guys!"

It was an absolutely wonderful tournament, and a thousand thanks have to go out to Mickey Scott and Pete Sinkler for their efforts. They run a beautiful room, and had a nice and appreciative crowd in to watch the festivities. They are thinking of making this a semiannual tournament, actually, and I hope they find a way to do it. And although this was my first year, I ain't missing this thing ever again. What a great time!

- Steve

PQQLK9
09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
That was an excellent recap Steve...thanks, I feel like I was there...

houseman
09-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Someone had to make a switch on me,this happened before with 3 or 4 cueballs and a 2 ball.
Just can`t catch them.

houseman
09-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks Steve, for the excellent post about the tournament.
I appreciate the kind words about pete and myself, seems you never hear this from your regulars that you do the same exact things for every day of the year.
I predict you to be the winner in 2 years.
A real pleasure having you play in my room and look forward to your next visit
Mickey Scott
the houseman

Scott Lee
09-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Mickey...You DO run a great room! I thoroughly enjoyed giving some lessons there last spring when I was at VF, and you can be sure I will be back to do it again! Great equipment, and a nice atmosphere to teach and/or play pool!
Thanks for all your efforts!

Scott Lee

Rod
09-02-2002, 11:23 PM
Hi Steve,
Good review on the games. It sounds like a great place to play. You should feel good about how you played for the first one you entered. Making it to the final four is no easy task. I wish you had caught a gear and drilled Allan, but pulling a rabbit out of the hat on a two rail is asking a bunch. Stranger things have happened though. Glad you enjoyed yourself and there is always next year.

SPetty
09-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the recap, Steve. You did great! (Just like I knew you would!) I've got nuts on the way from Barbara because you did such a great job! WooHoo! I owe you one!

Barbara
09-03-2002, 04:05 PM
On the way?

Oh, did I forget to tell you that you have to pick them up? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Barbara~~~still mumbling...