PDA

View Full Version : Which US Open record broken, ever?

Soflasnapper
10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Mike LeBron is the oldest US Open winner (about 54 years old, iirc).

Earl Strickland has the record number of US Open wins, at 5.

Number of consecutive wins there is a record 2, held by Varner and Mika.

Which of these will ever be broken, in your opinion, and which first?

Mika has already pledged to break Earl's record, to get at least 6 titles (but he remains 4 short of the mark).

To break the two in a row record would require 3 in a row.

And mid-50s is a hard age to survive the ordeal to win the Open.

I think all of these may stand as records for the rest of my life (and I plan to hit my expected life span). Of these, I think it most possible that LeBron's record might be broken, as the current group of newly minted hall of famers continue to play very well and might get there one day.

Rich R.
10-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I think all three of these records will be broken eventually.

Players today are in much better condition and take much better care of themselves than they did years ago. I think the 54 year old champion mark will definitely be broken but maybe not until Mika, Thorsten, Ralf or one of the other European champions get to that age.

As you said, Mika has taken aim at Earl's mark of 5 wins and I think he can do it.

Probably the hardest mark to hit will be 3 championships in a row. With fields of 256 players, winning one is a great accomplishment. Winning 2, back to back, is simply amazing. Winning 3 in a row is outrageous, but it could happen.

dg-in-centralpa
10-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I think the first record to be broken would be Earl's. Several have won it twice, with Sigel winning 3 times. While I don't see Sigel winning anymore, definitely the younger ones, Corey, Mika, etc., could easily win more than 5 times.

Duane

10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow, all three are monumental achievements, hard to pick one.

If I had to pick one category....I will go with someone over 54 years old winning it.

I believe Jose Parica was over 54 when he finished 3rd. Efren seems to still finish high. Even Kim Davenport had a 5th place finish last year.

While I think it is a long shot, there are a bunch of guys in their mid 40's that are still playing top notch Pool i.e. Souquet, Archer, Bustamante, et al. Maybe one of these guys will do it?

Eric >don't count Efren out yet

pooltchr
10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree, Eric. I think there are a lot of players who will still be around for many more years with a shot at that one.

3 in a row is tough, no matter who you are, simply because of the level of competition each year.

Earl accomplished something that is going to stand for a loooooooooooong time!

Steve

10-29-2010, 10:46 AM
If I had to pick one guy, Steve, I'm picking Bustamante.

Busta is 47 and just won the WPC 9 ball. He also had a strong finish at the US Open. It might not be a stretch to think that in 8 years, he will "still have it".

Eric

pooltchr
10-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Archer is 42 and shows no signs of slowing down either. He took first place in last year's Gem City open in a very strong field.

Earl is 49, and you can't count him out of anything.

I think the fact that age realloy isn't a factor in pool performance supports the argument that the "oldest to win" catagory is the one that is the most likely to change.

Steve

Deeman3
11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I think it will be much harder than anyone expects to breaks Earl's record, such stiff competition and not a serious threat right now, other than Mika and he would really have to have some good years in a row to do it.

However, the age thing is pretty big to me. Otherwise there would be tons of guys in their 50's winning national events and that just does not happen that often.

Three is a row will be tough as well and it would, IMO, have to be a very young guy, like in his early 30's to do it.