PDA

View Full Version : Liberal DNA

Deeman3
10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">So, it is a disease after all? </span>

Is Liberalism genetic? A new study from James H. Fowler of the University of California San Diego and Harvard University’s Nicholas A. Christakis claims researchers have identified the dopamine receptor, DRD4, as the Liberal Gene. The new issue of the Journal of Politics, published by Cambridge University, carries the study that says political ideology may be caused by genetic predisposition. The study involved 2,000 participants from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health and focused on their social networks and other background information, such as having an active social life as a teenager. Those with a variant of the gene DRD4 were found to be liberal as adults.

The researchers, including Jaime E. Settle and Christopher Dawkes from UC San Diego, concluded that one’s DNA may have more to do with ideology than other factors. James Fowler says “We hypothesize that individuals with a genetic predisposition toward seeking out new experiences will tend to be more liberal, but only if they are embedded in a social context that provides them with multiple points of view.” He adds “These findings suggest that political affiliation is not based solely on the kind of social environment people experience”.

The DRD4 ‘Liberal’ gene has a variant which seems to cause novelty-seeking behavior. As a dopamine receptor, DRD4 acts as a neurotransmitter. This affects the cerebral processes in the brain that control or influence movement and emotional responses. They also affect the ability of an individual to experience pain and pleasure.

Perhaps most relevant here is this connection between ‘novelty-seeking behavior’ and becoming a Liberal as an adult. Coupled with a pattern of an active social network as an adolescent, the Liberal gene makes the adult a Liberal, which fits, given how attracted such are to novelty and irrational emotions. Just look at people like Joy Behar, Keith Olbermann or Alan Grayson. They never seem happy or satisfied, and they blow with the fads of the moment, having no structure in their values or lives.

So the DRD4 Liberal gene is the cause of a genetic predisposition to political Liberalism according to James H. Fowler of the University of California San Diego. Along with Nicholas A. Christakis of Harvard University along with Jaime E. Settle and Christopher Dawkes, also from UC San Diego, the new study has been published in the Journal of Politics by Cambridge University. The study concerning the dopamine receptor DRD4 Liberal Gene involved 2,000 subjects from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health and focused on the social networks and social activities of the subjects as teenagers. Those who were socially active as teens, have the DRD4 Liberal Gene and continue an extensive social network as adults tend to be Liberals politically.

Deeman3
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I mean, they were born with it. Should we not all be sympathic?

Maybe have O'Reilly do a Telethon or something? I'll kick is off with a donation if that will help.

pooltchr
10-28-2010, 05:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
given how attracted such are to novelty and <span style='font-size: 17pt'>irrational emotions.</span> </div></div>

I can think of a couple of examples right here on our forum.

Geeeeeeeeeeee, whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhho, might I be thinking of??

Steve

LWW
10-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Repost ... but well worth saying again.

LWW

Qtec
10-29-2010, 05:03 AM
So what you are saying is Conservatives are missing something.

I knew it.

Q

Gayle in MD
10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what you are saying is Conservatives are missing something.

I knew it.

Q </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> LMAO! </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

llotter
10-29-2010, 06:11 AM
What's missing is the 'irrational emotion' gene...sounds like a good thing not to have. This news makes me so happy I could just cry.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2010, 06:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's missing is the 'irrational emotion' gene...sounds like a good thing not to have. This news makes me so happy I could just cry. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">On the verge of tears, huh? Maybe it's because of your irrational emotion gene. LMAO!

Feel like crying? I'll take you for a ride to Walter Reed. You'll end up crying, alright.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

llotter
10-29-2010, 07:13 AM
The definition of the liberal is 'irrational emotions', not rational ones.

Wars inevitably bring wounded soldiers and that will lead to many tears but the soldiers understand why they fight and liberals don't.

(now is the time to mention Bush/Haliburton)

Gayle in MD
10-29-2010, 07:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The definition of the liberal is 'irrational emotions', not rational ones.

Wars inevitably bring wounded soldiers and that will lead to many tears but the soldiers understand why they fight and liberals don't.

(now is the time to mention Bush/Haliburton) </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">"The War in Iraq, is about oil."

Alan Greenspan

Liberals? LMAO! Liberals were exactly who knew what that war was really all about.

Did you hear, BTW, that all facts point to Halliburton being Responsible for the oil spill in te Gulf?

Funny, how yoou righties are always whining about wasting money, but not one word about the collosal corruption and total waste of money throughout the Bush Era of optimum Cronyism, and No Bid Contracts!
Typical....
G.

</span>

pooltchr
10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
(now is the time to mention Bush/Haliburton)
</div></div>

You sure called that one right!!!!!

LMAO!!!

Steve

llotter
10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
There is an old saying, 'there is no fix for stupidity' but now that we know that there is a particular gene defect, there is always a hope that a pill will arise to cure for what ails you.

Deeman3
10-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Before someone says, "They were born that way, therefore they should be able to get married!" They already are. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

llotter
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Fortunately, they don't inter-marry enough to spread that defective gene to the healthy community.