PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview

Deeman3
10-29-2010, 01:06 PM
After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:
'Let me see if I've got this right.
'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.
'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.
'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.
'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.
'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.
'You want me to do all this and then you tell me . . . I CAN'T PRAY?

Only five time a day, if you are Muslim. O.K. I added that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-01-2010, 12:21 AM
A sixth grade teacher of mine....Sister Mary Leo...AKA "Leo, the lion hearted ...did all that for no pay, 'cept room and board. But you want big time trouble....tell her she can't pray and She just might, after first cracking her pointer over your head, think of a place to insert the broken pieces. (we lived in fear of her)

hondo
11-01-2010, 05:37 AM
I'm going to let you in on a little secret, Dee, but be vewy, vewy qwiet.

I prayed several times a day at school and nobody EVEN KNEW!!!!
I followed Jesus's directive to pray quietly and not make a show of it , and I got by with it.

I have a strong suspicion that many of my students prayed before tests also.
While I monitored them carefully looking for violaters( offenders would be water-boarded in the front office) ,
I was never able to catch even one in 30 years.

I suspect they also prayed silently as Jesus directed without putting on a spectacle.

SSSH. Don't tell anyone.

hondo
11-01-2010, 05:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:
'Let me see if I've got this right.
'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.
'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.
'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.
'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.
'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.
'You want me to do all this and then you tell me . . . I CAN'T PRAY?

Only five time a day, if you are Muslim. O.K. I added that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

'You want me to do all this and then you tell me . . . You're PAYING ME WHAT!!!!!

Gayle in MD
11-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Wow, Dee, I was reading and thought that the point was heading toward an acknowledgement of the low pay, teachers are expected to be satisfied with, for such an important, difficult, broad, complex and multifaceted career. T

Thinking, how can some people expect that one person's dollar for dollar value, in this case, our teachers, be based upon the intellectual ability of their students to value and care enough to listen, and dedicate themselves to learning.

And, on top of that, accept that teachers should be fired for having bad students, with no in home support from their parents, people who in may cases are not capable of measuring up to their own responsibilites of being engaged with their kids education, or caring about it, at all.

Yet, on top of all of that, some expect those teachers to be dedicated to their mission, without any voice, through their right to a Union, to moderate for them in the market place.

I think that would call for some sort of sainthood, don't you?

Then it all went down hill, trivialized, like so many pressing issues today are trivialized, with concerns about ORGANIZED RELIGION!

I realize this was supposed to be a joke, but do tell me, has any Christian in this country, of late, actually been blocked from praying?

Do people, of any religion, require an audience, in order to pray?

The Nuns taught us that one can pray, silently, anywhere one wishes, and that every prayer is heard by God, and counts.

Do we encourage devotion to religion, or peace and understanding between the various relilgions of the world, if we seek to deprive the rituals of only the Muslim Religion, and if so, how does that make the world a better place????

While the joke was cute, your addition, seems to suggest that not all religious people should have a right to pray, unless they are Christians.

Or to suggest that when suspected of being in the act of deep prayer, Christians are somehow policed by our society, and prevented from praying??????

Since I was raised a Catholic, I have never heard, or found anywhere, any suggestion that in order to pray, Christians must ALWAYS pray as a group, or do so in any particular physical position.

Christians, can pray anywhere, anytime, and without any bravado, or observable awareness from others, since their ritual of praying does not call for any particular publically observable, physical position.

Should we take offense, over the rituals of one religion, your example, the Muslim Religion, or demand the same display, for Christians, when Christianity, surely does not require that same ritual?

I hope I'm not annoying you with these questions, I'm just interested in learning your POV, on the subject.

G.

Qtec
11-01-2010, 05:55 AM
A priest, a rabbi and a vicar walk into a bar. The barman says: "Is this some kind of joke?"

"Doc, I can't stop singing The Green, Green Grass Of Home." He said: "That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome." "Is it common?" I asked. "It's not unusual," he replied.

Went to the zoo. There was only one dog in it. It was a shitzu.

Q /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
11-01-2010, 06:14 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Deeman3
11-01-2010, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, Dee, I was reading and thought that the point was heading toward an acknowledgement of the low pay, teachers are expected to be satisfied with, for such an important, difficult, broad, complex and multifaceted career. T

Thinking, how can some people expect that one person's dollar for dollar value, in this case, our teachers, be based upon the intellectual ability of their students to value and care enough to listen, and dedicate themselves to learning.

And, on top of that, accept that teachers should be fired for having bad students, with no in home support from their parents, people who in may cases are not capable of measuring up to their own responsibilites of being engaged with their kids education, or caring about it, at all.

Yet, on top of all of that, some expect those teachers to be dedicated to their mission, without any voice, through their right to a Union, to moderate for them in the market place.

I think that would call for some sort of sainthood, don't you?

Then it all went down hill, trivialized, like so many pressing issues today are trivialized, with concerns about ORGANIZED RELIGION!

I realize this was supposed to be a joke, but do tell me, has any Christian in this country, of late, actually been blocked from praying?

Do people, of any religion, require an audience, in order to pray?

The Nuns taught us that one can pray, silently, anywhere one wishes, and that every prayer is heard by God, and counts.

Do we encourage devotion to religion, or peace and understanding between the various relilgions of the world, if we seek to deprive the rituals of only the Muslim Religion, and if so, how does that make the world a better place????

While the joke was cute, your addition, seems to suggest that not all religious people should have a right to pray, unless they are Christians.

Or to suggest that when suspected of being in the act of deep prayer, Christians are somehow policed by our society, and prevented from praying??????

Since I was raised a Catholic, I have never heard, or found anywhere, any suggestion that in order to pray, Christians must ALWAYS pray as a group, or do so in any particular physical position.

Christians, can pray anywhere, anytime, and without any bravado, or observable awareness from others, since their ritual of praying does not call for any particular publically observable, physical position.

Should we take offense, over the rituals of one religion, your example, the Muslim Religion, or demand the same display, for Christians, when Christianity, surely does not require that same ritual?

I hope I'm not annoying you with these questions, I'm just interested in learning your POV, on the subject.

G.

</div></div>

No Gayle, it was just a joke. My adding the line about the Muslims praying is not a radical call to arms or anything else, just a little jab at the PC of it all. Of course, if Christians can pray silently, they should. Of course, if silence means they would not get chastised if they also brought out a rug while praying, there might be an important point thhere as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do think teachers are asked to do a lot for a small amount of pay in most circumstances. I think the education system is in trouble not only because of teachers but for many reasons that money has not seemed to help. Since we started discussing this many years ago, I have gotten more involved in my local schools and see much on both sides, I did not see before, some good for teachers, some not so good.

I do have some radical thooughts on education but have spared most of you most of them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It seems America is almost ready to have serious discussions on the subject and I think that is good. The political ranting we gear from both sides does little to help.