PDA

View Full Version : Even the Washington Post sees it!

LWW
10-30-2010, 03:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not the "Party of Hope" right now - many embattled Democrats have gone negative.

Rep. Harry E. Mitchell's (Ariz.) ads say his opponent is "a predatory real estate speculator" who is "hurting us, helping himself." Rep. Ron Klein's (Fla.) say his challenger has "a consistent lack of personal responsibility" and "the wrong values for South Florida." Democrat Dick Blumenthal, running for Senate in Connecticut, charges his opponent "puts profits before people" and sought to avoid health inspections for her employees. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (Nev.) say his opponent is "reckless, radical and extreme."

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Many Democratic candidates, faced with running on accomplishments that haven't been embraced by voters, are using a tested, if unsavory, tactic: attacking</span> their opponents' character, according to data provided by a new study. The strategy of these Democrats is to turn the election from a referendum on their record into a choice - one where the other side is "too extreme," a label that has become a common refrain in TV ads across the country.

An analysis of advertising by the Wesleyan Media Project shows that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Democratic candidates are running a higher percentage of negative ads and they are more likely to go after their opponents' personal characteristics instead of their policy positions.</span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"Republicans are substantively more policy-focused,"</span> said Michael Franz, a professor at Bowdoin College who worked on the study. "The policy environment really isn't favorable to Democrats. Trying to run on that record just isn't going to play that well."

Data collected by the project show that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>29 percent of Democratic House and Senate candidates' ads are negative</span>, up from 13 percent in 2008. By comparison, Republicans' share of attack ads has dropped from 28 percent to 21 percent. Further, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>35 percent of the negative ads run by Democrats are focused exclusively on policy. By contrast, Republicans were focused exclusively on policy 57 percent of the time.</span>

The data show that Republican candidates have been able to run more positive ads because they've received help from parties and outside groups that are attacking on their behalf. Once outside spending by parties and interest groups are factored in to the candidate spending, both liberals and conservatives are running the same share of negative ads. Ads on the left are still more focused on personal characteristics over policy, however.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>"The Democrats have essentially become a message-less party,"</span> said Ken Spain, communications director of the National Republican Congressional Committee, the GOP's House-race arm. "They can't run on their record of job creation or fiscal responsibility, so instead they have resorted to character assassination." ...</div></div>

Yet we have voters who beg to be lied to? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/28/AR2010102804044.html)

LWW

Qtec
10-30-2010, 05:25 AM
A couple of classics worth mentioning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Democrats have essentially become a message-less party," </div></div>

LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many Democratic candidates, faced with running on accomplishments that haven't been embraced by voters, <span style='font-size: 17pt'>are using a tested,</span> if unsavory, tactic: attacking their opponents' character, according to data provided by a new study. </div></div>

Tested by the Republican party.

Geez, the GOP complaining about negative ads is like G Beck complaining about LW conspiracy theories.

Anyway, most if not all they state in those ads are true.

For example.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWnfM5X0cYU&feature=player_embedded)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congressional candidate Jon Runyan 'takes responsibility' for late property tax payments, lawsuits

Candidates don’t typically advertise their unsavory behavior, but Republican congressional hopeful Jon Runyan today opened his closet and let the skeletons tumble out — revealing late property tax payments, two lawsuits and a tax lien.

"I take ownership of every mistake I’ve ever made," said Runyan, a former Philadelphia Eagles lineman.

Runyan’s admissions at his campaign headquarters in Mount Laurel were perhaps the political equivalent of the "fair catch" football play in which a receiver downs the ball after catching a punt to avoid opponents hurtling towards him.

The 36-year-old candidate has been hit by a series of unflattering news stories since November, when he first said he might run. Most recently, it was a 1995 arrest for driving under the influence, when he was a University of Michigan student. Prior to that, it was his spotty voting history <span style='font-size: 20pt'>and a farmland tax break he gets on 20 acres of his Mount Laurel estate because he sells firewood and raises miniature donkeys.</span>

Runyan wants to unseat freshman Rep. John Adler (D-3rd Dist.) in the vast southern New Jersey district that stretches from the Ocean County coast to the Delaware River.

But first he has to get by Justin Murphy in the GOP primary. Murphy is a former Tabernacle Township committeeman who had a strong third-place showing in the district’s primary two years ago. Runyan now is favored to win their contest.

Come autumn, the 3rd District race is expected to be among the most competitive in the state.

Runyan today said Adler shared dirt on him. Adler’s campaign manager declined comment.

"I didn’t put it out there — until now," said Runyan, who nevertheless didn’t rule out using his own opposition research. "I’m not saying I would or I wouldn’t, but I’m not playing the game of starting my campaign trying to smear him."

In 2007, the state of California issued a lien against a company Runyan owned that had a majority stake in the San Diego Riptide — a defunct arena football team — for $1,604 in back taxes for 2004. The company paid the money and California released the lien in 2008.

In 2006, the owner of a company that leased equipment like Astroturf and goal posts to the Riptide sued Runyan and the team’s co-owner, alleging breach of a lease agreement. Runyan said the suit was settled with no money changing hands.

In 2008, author Frank Moriarty sued Runyan in Camden County Superior Court, alleging breach of contract over a book they were working on together about Runyan’s Eagles career. Runyan said the suit was settled last month.

From 2000 to 2009, Runyan paid property taxes late 33 out of 96 times on his Texas and Mount Laurel properties. In most cases, he was no more than two months late. </div></div>

Another.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-rrcnIWzGI&feature=player_embedded)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Barr is proud of his work as attorney for former Gov. Ernie Fletcher. He’s also quick to note he wasn’t among <u>the Fletcher aides indicted in an investigation of the administration’s merit-hiring practices,</u> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>and he counseled ethics.</span> <span style="color: #990000"> LOL</span>

“I was a voice of compliance within the administration,” Barr, 36, a Republican candidate in the 6th Congressional District, said last week in an interview.

Barr, known as “Andy” to friends, is <span style='font-size: 20pt'>a lawyer/lobbyist and past congressional staffer but says he would represent a break from the “career politicians” found in Washington. <span style="color: #CC0000">O....M......G.... RAOTF</span>

Barr is the scion of an old, successful Lexington family. Barr Street downtown reportedly is named for an ancestor who owned land there.</span><span style="color: #990000"> LMAO</span>

He graduated in 1992 from Henry Clay High School and earned degrees at the University of Virginia and University of Kentucky College of Law. Before law school, he spent two years in Congress as a legislative assistant to then-U.S. Rep. Jim Talent, R-Mo.

Politics fascinated him. In college, he interned for McConnell and the Republican National Committee in Washington. He wrote pugnacious columns for The Virginia Advocate, a conservative campus publication, chastising President Bill Clinton for evading the military draft and calling him the “coward-in-chief.” (Barr himself never served in the military.)

In 1993, as a 19-year-old college student in Key West, Fla., Barr was charged by police with possession of a fake Mississippi driver’s license. He pleaded guilty and was ordered to provide eight hours of community service, according to court records.

In 1999, Lexington police charged Barr, then 26, with public drinking in front of Wildcat Drive-In Liquor on North Broadway, according to court records. His attorney got the charge dismissed four months later.

Barr declined to explain the circumstances behind those charges.

“I have exercised sound judgment for the majority of my adult life,” he said. “I have not always exercised perfect judgment.”

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>When Barr applied for state government jobs under Fletcher, he checked “No” on the sections asking if he had “ever been convicted of violating any law” other than “minor traffic violations.” Barr said he believed his Florida conviction was “minor” and did not merit disclosure.</span></div></div>

Forgery and fraud are minor.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>These are TP backed candidates???</span>

This is your new politics?

Wake up Dorothy.

Q

link (http://bluegrasspolitics.bloginky.com/2010/04/11/andy-barr-walking-a-fine-line-for-congress/)
link (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/congressional_candidate_jon_ru.html)

LWW
10-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Nobody thought you would see it ... you choose to be blind.

LWW

Sev
10-30-2010, 05:40 AM
The end is near. If all goes the way the polls are showing the leadership of the Dems will be decimated.

Rumor on the hill is that Madam Pelosi is considering walking away from politics entirely.

Qtec
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Another one-liner. No argument. No facts.......only opinion. An ill-informed opinion.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Did you even read my post?</span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Did you see how I made my point?</span>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>I said what I think, I said why I thought that way and I provided FACTS to back up my argument. That's how it should be</span> and anyone who replies to a post like I just posted with a one-liner based in Bizzarro Land is just a troll.

Q

LWW
10-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Actually ... all you tried to do was deflect the thread off topic.

LWW

Qtec
10-30-2010, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually ... all you tried to do was deflect the thread off topic.

LWW </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one-liner. No argument. No facts.......only opinion. An ill-informed opinion.

Did you even read my post?

Did you see how I made my point?

I said what I think, I said why I thought that way and I provided FACTS to back up my argument. That's how it should be and anyone who replies to a post like I just posted with a one-liner based in Bizzarro Land is just a troll.

Q </div></div>

hondo
10-30-2010, 01:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one-liner. No argument. No facts.......only opinion. An ill-informed opinion.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>I said what I think, I said why I thought that way and I provided FACTS to back up my argument. That's how it should be</span> and anyone who replies to a post like I just posted with a one-liner based in Bizzarro Land is just a troll.

Q </div></div>

Your attempt to continually attempt to logically debate our buddy is admirable.
I honestly don't know how you continue to do it.
Bully for you.

LWW
10-30-2010, 03:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one-liner. No argument. No facts.......only opinion. An ill-informed opinion.

Q </div></div>

Your attempt to continually attempt to logically debate our buddy is admirable.
I honestly don't know how you continue to do it.
Bully for you. </div></div>

Actually, it is.

After so much practice I would think he would be getting better at it.

LWW