PDA

View Full Version : The future of pool could be China!

bradb
11-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I recently bought a wide screen HD TV and with it I received a package of sports channels. One real delight is a series of International billiard events with great coverage of team competition between many different countries.

The US team of Rocket Rodney and Shane Van Boening was completely waxed by the Chinese team featuring two players hardly known outside of China. The announcer, who was british, gave a very informative and incisive commentary on the rising popularity of pool in China. It seems its just catching on there and organizations in China are now starting to provide some funding for the sport. Up until now players there could'nt afford to travel and participate in individual billiards but with team pool that is becoming a reality. Of course with the number of people in China, pool could explode onto the world scene if it does take off.

I can't help but think what a boon that would be for pool world wide as more and more countries start backing team pool. Could there be an Olympics event for team pool competition down the road?.... We can only dream! Brad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

11-03-2010, 10:25 AM
There has always been an interest in Snooker, in China, mostly in the Hong Kong region. Pool has been very popular in Taiwan, Republic of China, for many years. As a whole, the center of cue sports (billiards, Pool, etc) does seem to be in Asia, right now.

Eric

bradb
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
This is true for now, but the shift is there as China has more success and more success on the world tour.

Fran Crimi
11-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Brad, you are right. Pool is definitely exploding in China. At the last women's World 9 Ball Championship in China there were 1,000 people in the stands watching the final match. There would have been more but there was no more room.

jht1953
11-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Going back to your sports package, I think you'll find a lot of repeats, check out ESPN Classic and just regular ESPN, I think the major online retailers provide a list of Pool on TV, look at Ozone and PoolDawg

Rich R.
11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I think we have the eternal question of which comes first, the chicken or the egg when it comes to pool in Asia.

All over Asia, pool tournaments are broadcast live and they get many hours of coverage. There is a lot of interest in pool in that area of the world. The question is, does the interest in pool account for the great TV coverage or does the great TV coverage create the interest in pool?????

Most of the TV coverage in Asian countries comes from ESPN and their Asian affiliates. I wish ESPN would realize that pool is an international sport and people in this country would enjoy that coverage too.

bradb
11-05-2010, 07:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, you are right. Pool is definitely exploding in China. At the last women's World 9 Ball Championship in China there were 1,000 people in the stands watching the final match. There would have been more but there was no more room. </div></div>

Wow! There are tournaments here that would give an arm and a leg to pull a draw like that.
They had an event called the border battle between US and Canada with top players and there were about 50 people there including the players.

-BB

robert
11-27-2010, 03:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All over Asia, pool tournaments are broadcast live and they get many hours of coverage. There is a lot of interest in pool in that area of the world. The question is, does the interest in pool account for the great TV coverage or does the great TV coverage create the interest in pool?????
</div></div>

Perfect reply. I am completely agree with Rich. Broadcasting pool on national sports channel doesn't prove it that you are going to be the future of the pool game. Having interest in playing, watching it on TV and actually playing with all your interest and intention, all are completely different things.

brian627
12-12-2010, 04:10 AM
I am chinese and i love pool very much and i hope i can learn a lot from this forum and welcome everybody to chat with me

Rich R.
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brian627</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am chinese and i love pool very much and i hope i can learn a lot from this forum and welcome everybody to chat with me </div></div>
Welcome Brian. Another opinion is always welcome.

12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I think RichR was saying what begat the other, kinda like the "chicken or the egg" theory.

I know, in some parts of Asia, like Taiwan, Pool is very popular with the kids. Pool to them is like Basketball in the US. In some respects, that is why you'll have some unknown Asian superstars coming out of the woodwork, at a young age, kinda like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James in Basketball.

Eric

bradb
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
You are correct Eric. My original post was based on the commentary of the game announcers at an international match which featured some outstanding Chinese players, some whom they had not seen before and were now doing well against big name western pros.

I think based on what they said is that the sport is gaining in popularity in China not so much because of TV but because sponsors there are starting to fund Chinese players as they show more and more talent. Many Chinese players did'nt have the means available before to travel outside China like western players do, so they have'nt had the opportunity to compete on the world stage, but that is changing and the more they have success against the big names the more it will grow. Right now its basically team sports they are exporting but I can't help but think we will see them in US Open 9ball tounaments soon.

Brad

12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Here's another thought (for the numbers people); standard deviation.

It's not that the Chinese have mroe talent, more like, a larger pool of...Pool players. If the USA has a population of 360mm and, say, 1% play Pool, that is about 3.6mm ppl. If you have a population of 1.2 billion, and 1% play Pool, then that number is like 12mm. If you avg. 1 superstar per 500,000 ppl, then the US should produce 7 elite players. China should produce 24.

Eric

Fran Crimi
12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Too many variables, I think. One would be the quality of training. In China it's very structured and disciplined. Here it's more like the OK Corral.

bradb
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
The Chinese players display the epitome of mechanics, they probably were trained from childhood like all other sports they take up. But I see this as a plus if they don't become too disciplined and lose the competiveness pool requires.

12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Amen, Fran. If anything, my post is just a generalization. I agree that the quality of training/practice can make the difference. As Brad pointed out, the Euro's and the Chinese, tend to have specific, exact practice routines aimed at precision. In our country, many people tend to "wing it".

Eric