PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Charlie Williams/ Real Long

cueball1950
09-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Charlie, You will not know me by name but if you saw me you would know who i was. We have talked a few times and i have even been critical of you at times. All i want to say is give barry the extra time to post the remaining money. I have been going to the Open for years. I saw you play in your 1st Open at age 14. Your play impressed me then as it does now. Barry just needs the time to post the extra monies. He has been running the longest continuos tournament as you already know. This problem that has arisen is only hurting the tournament and the game itself. Just give Barry the benefit of the doubt. I am sure that he will come thru. I was looking forward to seeing Mika and Tony Robles as well as yourself play this year. I am still planning on attending the Open as i do every year. I do not know if their is a hidden agenda here or not. I can only read what is posted here and respond as i have. Since this is the longest running ttournament and the prestige of the tournament i and alot of others feel that you should reconsider. Don Mackey had his players boycott a straight pool tournament one year and it hurt the game. I do not want you to make the same mistake. Some posters on here are already calling for a boycott of the fans to UPA events. That is not good for the game. The game is struggling enough to make it. So all i can do is direct this letter to you directly and get your response. I know rules are rules. But i also know rules can be bent under certain circumstances. Just give Barry the time he needs to post the extra money and see what happens. After all. If the baseball players and owners can agree on something i think it could be done here also.....Just a fan of pool....Mike

TomBrooklyn
09-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Nicely put insight from the perspective on a longtime fan, Mike.

nAz
09-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Ditto Tom,
But i have a feelling that those players mention in this and other treads will still play The U.S. open is still the best tourny in the coutry. thier loyalty to CW wont hold then back... then again what do i know about premadona Baseball players err sorry i mean ProPoolPlayers

jjinfla
09-02-2002, 06:23 AM
Nice post cueball. As far as the rules that the UPA has I would venture that most of the players never even bothered to read them before joining the UPA let alone have an attorney look them over. They probably figured it would be nice to have all the great players in a nice little group which would attract a lot of attention and fans and make them a lot of money. And the idea was really great, but again lacked the follow through necessary to be successful. Something that CW is becoming known for. Someone once asked what UPA stands for? Well it could be the pneumonic for United Pissheads & Asses. Jake~~~and to think that I used to be CW's biggest supporter. He had a great idea with the Patriot Cup but I guess greed took over and it has been down hill ever since. And now it seems his goal is to ruin the US Open. All in less than 7 month's time.

Harold Acosta
09-02-2002, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> Nice post cueball. As far as the rules that the UPA has I would venture that most of the players never even bothered to read them before joining the UPA let alone have an attorney look them over. They probably figured it would be nice to have all the great players in a nice little group which would attract a lot of attention and fans and make them a lot of money. And the idea was really great, but again lacked the follow through necessary to be successful. Something that CW is becoming known for. Someone once asked what UPA stands for? Well it could be the pneumonic for United Pissheads &amp; Asses. Jake~~~and to think that I used to be CW's biggest supporter. He had a great idea with the Patriot Cup but I guess greed took over and it has been down hill ever since. And now it seems his goal is to ruin the US Open. All in less than 7 month's time. <hr></blockquote>

jjinfla:

I recently read the UPA rules on sanctioning an event and my first thought was that the rules were written up by an attorney, but by one that didn't have the slightest notion that you cannot impose strict rules of posting up money in escrow accounts,etc., without having the TD or owner of the tournament simply send you the hell!

The UPA rules are too strict for anyone to abide by, and I don't think many tournament promoters will give-in to their requirements.

Just my honest opinion.

TomBrooklyn
09-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Charlie told me the UPA has agreement from about 70% of the promoters they are dealing with. He seems to feel that is pretty good, citing that "you can't please everybody".

09-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Umm, do the other 30% still get their tournaments? And if so, what's the problem with the Open being sanctioned? Noone understands better than I the need to make a living at what you do. Noone understands the concept of poverty better than I either, but I was embarrassed to call myself a poolplayer after the events at the Open last year. How anyone can claim to not understand the prize fund not being fully paid out after the single largest tragedy our nation ever faced is beyond me. I know everyone's going to call me filthy names for this, but IMO the entire event should have been cancelled, just like every other sporting event in America that week. Then NOBODY gets paid. Try real hard to get a grip here people. It's not just about you.

PS. I'm sorry in advance to all the folks I've offended here.

nAz
09-02-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Umm, do the other 30% still get their tournaments? And if so, what's the problem with the Open being sanctioned? Noone understands better than I the need to make a living at what you do. Noone understands the concept of poverty better than I either, but I was embarrassed to call myself a poolplayer after the events at the Open last year. How anyone can claim to not understand the prize fund not being fully paid out after the single largest tragedy our nation ever faced is beyond me. I know everyone's going to call me filthy names for this, but IMO the entire event should have been cancelled, just like every other sporting event in America that week. Then NOBODY gets paid. Try real hard to get a grip here people. It's not just about you.

PS. I'm sorry in advance to all the folks I've offended here. <hr></blockquote>
I would never call you filthy names... i just wonder what you look like /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Nostroke
09-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Lorri- You little Witch!!

Just Kidding- I undestand your position but cancelling tonites 3 hour baseball game or next Sunday's football game is easy and makes the SALARIED Millionaires very happy.
Cancelling a multi-day in-progress Pool Event where most of the players are bust-outs and have had trouble coming up with the cash to get there is quite different. Sending them back to all over the world still broker would be difficult. Not to mention Barry who clearly hasnt been on solid financial ground of late. He could not have survived bearing ALL the expenses of the Open and NONE of the income. Im pretty sure that would have been his financial ruin and the end of the Open for a long long time.

But the fact is, it was played and guaranteed money wasn't there. Players need to know that guaranteed money is there "no matter what" so that they can make the decision whether or not to invest their time and money to pursue it.

PS_ where ya been?

NH_Steve
09-02-2002, 07:04 PM
I'm with you, I don't see how what happened last year -- given the week it happened -- can be held against the Behrmans

09-02-2002, 11:05 PM
I believe even the IRS was reasonable enough to make allowances for people who lost money because of 9-11. But not CW.

TomBrooklyn
09-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Less forgiving than the IRS? ......... Ouch!

Vicki
09-03-2002, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cueball1950:</font><hr> ...I was looking forward to seeing Mika and Tony Robles as well as yourself play this year... Don Mackey had his players boycott a straight pool tournament one year and it hurt the game. I do not want you to make the same mistake. Some posters on here are already calling for a boycott of the fans to UPA events. That is not good for the game. The game is struggling enough to make it. <hr></blockquote>

I think that the real goal has been forgotten on both sides of this arguement. The goal is the success of pool. That's why both sides are in business. It is a sad, sad thing that these guys can't come to an agreement. Even if the UPA doesn't sanction the US Open it needs to encourage it's players to attend and support the industry. I would like to see all the UPA players attend and I would like to see Charlie Williams and the other UPA principals make an appearance on behalf of the UPA as a show of support for the event and for the industry. I sincerely doubt if we have a people willing to take the high road and that is a shame. It's pool as an industry that suffers - not just the key players in the US Open and the UPA.

So, that being said, I would like to ask Charlie to consider attending and playing in the event regardless of the outcome of the sanctioning issue. I would like to ask him to make a POSITIVE PUBLIC STATEMENT and request that the UPA players and representatives do what ever is possible to ensure the success of the event, the PPV, and pool in general.

So much positive stuff is going on in pool right now and it is being pushed to the shadows while we watch these guys duke it out. If there was no controversy between the UPA and Open promoters, we would be really excited about having a professional organization for the men and we would be dancing on our pool tables over the PPV thing! This is really the guts of why pool isn't succeeding. There are a few people right now who could really make a difference in the success or failure of pool... let's all ask them to do what they can to make our sport succeed! E-mail or call them directly.

UPA: info@upatour.com - (321) 276-3967
US Open: Private message Brady_Behrman - (757)499-8900