PDA

View Full Version : They refused their trophies!?

09-02-2002, 04:15 AM
I'm disappointed...did anyone else go to the Amsterdam Billiards 9-Ball Open Tournament on Aug 31 - Sep 1? Tony Robles defeated Frankie in the semi-finals and then beat Mika twice in the finals to win the tournament.

Does anyone know why Frankie Hernandez threw his 3rd place trophy in the trash as soon as it was handed to him (in front of a packed house)? Or why Mika Imonen left his 2nd place trophy behind when he left?

Was there a reason why Frankie and Mika behaved this way? Am I the only person who is shocked? Or disappointed?

PoolMouse

jjinfla
09-02-2002, 06:01 AM
Coud it be that they found out it wasn't sanctioned by the UPA? LOL Jake

Nostroke
09-02-2002, 10:46 AM
To Mika a world champion, finishing second in Tri State is like going two and out to him. He doesn't take losing well anyway. Even if he is playing a girl for fun and giving her 5 on 8 or something, if he isnt winning, he is not happy AT ALL. Tony has been threatening his #1 in New York status lately so losing twice to him really hurt.

Both these guys have won hundreds of trophies and they are New Yorkers with tiny apartments presumably so that is another factor.-It's frist place or bust i guess, but they should have taken them and trashed them privately.

So basically they were hot from losing and didnt use good judgment.

09-02-2002, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> Coud it be that they found out it wasn't sanctioned by the UPA? LOL Jake <hr></blockquote>

I'm sure CW was behind this fiasco somehow or someway !

It won't be long before Barry finds out about this nonsense too and then we'll see who gets paid ...

on time ...

or not.BS&lt;~~~sometimes not very proud to call myself a pool player

Doctor_D
09-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Good afternoon:

To even try and speculate that CW had anything to do with the events at Amsterdam East following the finals of the TriState Tour Open Tournament, whether factual or not, is totally irresponsible on your part. However, if you have the nerve to make such a post you should also have the guts to identify yourself and not hide behind an unknown identity.

/ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif

Dr. D.

Harold Acosta
09-02-2002, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolMouse:</font><hr> I'm disappointed...did anyone else go to the Amsterdam Billiards 9-Ball Open Tournament on Aug 31 - Sep 1? Tony Robles defeated Frankie in the semi-finals and then beat Mika twice in the finals to win the tournament.

Does anyone know why Frankie Hernandez threw his 3rd place trophy in the trash as soon as it was handed to him (in front of a packed house)? Or why Mika Imonen left his 2nd place trophy behind when he left?

Was there a reason why Frankie and Mika behaved this way? Am I the only person who is shocked? Or disappointed?

PoolMouse <hr></blockquote>

Unbelievable! Pro's refusing their tropies? There's gotta be some explanation....although, I have seen this happen in amateur events here in PR. A good player was knocked off to third place (losing his bid to go for #1) and he gave away his trophy right in the award ceremony to a girl who's companion had been knocked off early in the tournament. My thoughts was "now this guy will say he finished third in the tournament, with proof of a trophy, to all those who do not now the truth behind obtaining it."

Strange things happen everywhere.....

09-02-2002, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

To even try and speculate that CW had anything to do with the events at Amsterdam East following the finals of the TriState Tour Open Tournament, whether factual or not, is totally irresponsible on your part. However, if you have the nerve to make such a post you should also have the guts to identify yourself and not hide behind an unknown identity.

/ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

It was a joke fool

get a life.BS

MikeM
09-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Totally classless, IMO.

MM

PQQLK9
09-02-2002, 05:15 PM
I agree...I wonder if they refused the money also...

Go Skins

09-02-2002, 06:04 PM
I wish I had been there. I would have taken the stupid trophies off their hands. Lord knows I'll never win one that prestigious /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Rod
09-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Quote Harold, My thoughts was "now this guy will say he finished third in the tournament, with proof of a trophy, to all those who do not now the truth behind obtaining it."

Strange things happen everywhere.....

Funny you should mention that Harold. I played in a tournament that I had won the year before. This time around I finished third. Me and a couple of guys went next door to a bar to have a couple of drinks. While there a guy I hardly knew said wow you got/won a trophy, I wish I could win/have a trophy like that. My reply was buy me a drink and you can have it. So he bought me a drink. About 2 or three days later he was at a bar he frequents and told the story how he won third! A guy I knew was there and told the people otherwise. Can you imagine being caught in a lie like that, how disgraceful. Well you would have to know the guy.

Regarding trophies, I had a collection but they all went into the dumpster when we sold the business. You got to keep those things clean and they just collect dust. I can't imagine someone throwing them away in front of a crowd. A big lack of respect if you ask me. That tells me something about what their made of.

TomBrooklyn
09-03-2002, 12:58 AM
I think plaques are easier to keep and to display then trophies. They can be put on the wall and not take up a lot of room, and they're easier to keep dust free.

Rod
09-03-2002, 01:02 AM
I agree Tom, but those went in the trash also.

jjinfla
09-03-2002, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Doctor_D:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Good afternoon:

To even try and speculate that CW had anything to do with the events at Amsterdam East following the finals of the TriState Tour Open Tournament, whether factual or not, is totally irresponsible on your part. /ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif
Dr. D.
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Shocked? You of the big business world are shocked by something this trivial? How shocking! Surely you are aware of the expression, "tongue in cheek". But you do know that they are members of the UPA and as such must fall in line with the policies set forward by their president. So it may not be as far fetched as you think. Perhaps in the future the members of the UPA will not be allowed to play in any event that is not sanctioned by the UPA. But just think at all of the outraged comments that would be put out here if it was Earl Strickland who did that. Are they now going to give Mika a pass because he is such a pretty boy? And never raises his voice? As for Earl not getting paid? Why wasn't the check all made out when the match was in progress and all that was necessary was to put the loser's name on it after the match? That's not difficult to do and is how every other tournament seems to be run. Except they pay in cash. Seems to me CW is guilty of doing just what he blames Barry of doing. Not paying on time. Perhaps he really didn't have the money in the escrow account after all. Jake

09-03-2002, 08:28 AM

9 Ball Girl
09-03-2002, 09:52 AM
LOL! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif I can see it now. I'm driving down the expressway, look over to my right, and there's Whitewolf driving his car with something like the World Cup bolted onto his hood!

Okay, back to the thread. Those trophies from the triState all look the same except that 1st is a little bigger than 2nd which is a little bigger than 3rd. But still, a trophy is a trophy. Grant it these guys probably have dozens of them and they do collect dust. But to discard them? They can at least respect the fact that they beat out someone who would've cherished taking that trophy home. They can at least take the trophy out of the pool room and then do what they wish with them afterwards i.e. doorstop, coaster, etc. I have one myself in my livingroom that was given to me when I was going out with (pro name here). And, when someone comes to my house and asks me if I won it, I say No it belongs to (pro name here again). I only say Yes it's mine when my little nephew who thinks I'm the greatest asks! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-03-2002, 10:27 AM
In this situation, I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to Mika in that he may have just accidentally left it behind.

However, the behavior by Frankie Hernandez.....this type of behavior is par for the course for him, and it's a classic example of why pool cannot get the sponsorship and funding to put it on par with other professional sports. Have enough tact and respect for the sponsors and the pool room to gracefully accept the trophy....even if you dispose of it at home.

This has to be among the most classless acts I've encountered in this sport. And people like this are the same ones, by the way, who gripe because they don't get acknowledgement or respect.

TerryArdeno
09-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Jake, I couldn't agree with you more! Also, IMO, I would rather have to read "Patrick" for a day than 1 more "Good morning", "Good afternoon", ect from somebody who prides themselves in being controversial &amp; different. Also,CW has no use for fans &amp; is so arrogant towards people that I can't believe he has any fans left at all. I've met them both in person. Earl is the opposite of CW. Earl speaks politely to people, poses for photos, signs autographs, ect. And Earl has said on numerous occasions to numerous people "Thanks for being a fan." Charlie looks at people like they are so far beneath him that he can hardly stand to be in the presence of mere mortals. His act has worn thin. Terry Ardeno (formerly Terry from Penna)
* Sorry for the negative tone...like most others, I can only read the same baloney from the same baloney dispensors for so long.
**Go Earl! ***Go away Charlie!

09-03-2002, 03:36 PM
If that's the worst you've seen Frankie do, you just haven't been following the good old Hernandez roadshow. It's truly unfortunate that such pond scum got selected by the UPA to go to Cardiff as one of the US contingent. If you want someone to bring the game and the country into disrepute, my money's on Frankie. I've seen some pretty outrageous stuff go down at various pool halls, but Frankie holds the all time number one spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's otherwise banned from Amsterdam. They run a clean house. If that were the case, a trophy with Amsterdam Billiards on it might stick in his throat.

Of course, there may be an entirely different reason, especially since Mika also left his trophy behind.

09-03-2002, 06:46 PM
it showed disrespect to the other parties involved, including the spectators. however, that's frankie being frankie. he's been that way his whole career, so i wouldn't expect anything less crass. as for mika, he's VERY VERY competitive, so while i don't condone this IN PUBLIC, i understand.

also, it was a dumb thing for amsterdam to do in the first place. you don't see second place trophies given out in other sports. these guyz are here to win, not come in second. and if they don't win, they'll just take their whatever-place earned checks and leave. they could really care less about trophies. trophies are for bar leagues. amsterdam should have taken the money they spent on trophies and put them towards the prize money.

09-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Three trophies was dumb?

When a house puts on a tournament, and puts money into the game, they're not just doing it to do the players a favour. They want publicity. They want a good show for their loyal customers. They want to showcase the game to their own business contacts. Part of that is the nice publicity shot where three smiling, happy, decent characters stand with their trophies, in the true spirit of competitiveness (no I'm not going to sing the Star Spangled Banner!). It's the photo that goes in Billliards Digest, and on the walls.

Unfortunately, there are too many rotten eggs in this sport, and the spectators and Amsterdam were treated to a nice little kick in the face.

If Mika and Frankie didn't think the pot was big enough, then they shouldn't have turned up. As for the trophy stuff, while you can't expect any better from FH, you'd have thought that a past World Champion might have had more grace.

Patrick
09-04-2002, 01:58 AM
Why would they want a trophy for losing the tournament?
I'm sure they only want to keep the trophies where they won the tournament.

Patrick

Patrick
09-04-2002, 02:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TerryArdeno:</font><hr> Jake, I couldn't agree with you more! Also, IMO, I would rather have to read "Patrick" for a day than 1 more "Good morning", "Good afternoon", ect from somebody who prides themselves in being controversial &amp; different. <hr></blockquote>What?

BrakenRun
09-04-2002, 02:02 AM
It all boils down to one thing. These kind of guys will never grow up!!!!

jjinfla
09-04-2002, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolMouse:</font><hr> I'm disappointed
PoolMouse <hr></blockquote>

How disrespectful of Frank and Mika. And they are UPA members. Is this what we can expect from UPA members? Will Charlie sanction them? Or kick them out of the UPA? Like he did Earl Strickland? I wonder if any UPA members will now be allowed in at Amsterdam? Jake