PDA

View Full Version : I liked Obama's comments

sack316
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
he's taking responsibility, kudos to him for that. I hope we can see some follow through from him... as well as the rest of Washington. Some quotes:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do hope to make progress on the very serious problems facing us right now. And thatís going to require all of us, including me, to work harder at building consensus....

My core responsibility is making sure that weíve got an economy that's growing, a middle class that feels secure, that jobs are being created. <u>And so I think I've got to take direct responsibility for the fact that we have not made as much progress as we need to make</u>....

I think the overwhelming message that I hear from the voters is that we want everybody to act responsibly in Washington. We want you to work harder to arrive at consensus. We want you to focus completely on jobs and the economy and growing it, so that weíre ensuring a better future for our children and our grandchildren.

And I think that thereís no doubt that as I reflect on the results of the election, <u>it underscores for me that I've got to do a better job, just like everybody else in Washington does</u>....

Now, the reason was it was an emergency situation. <u>But I think itís understandable</u> that folks said to themselves, you know, maybe this is the agenda, as opposed to a response to an emergency.

And thatís something that I think everybody in the White House understood was a danger. We thought it was necessary,<u> but Iím sympathetic to folks who looked at it and said this is looking like potential overreach</u>....

When I won election in 2008, one of the reasons I think that people were excited about the campaign was the prospect that we would change how business is done in Washington. And <u>we were in such a hurry to get things done that we didnít change how things got done</u>. And I think that frustrated people....

I think the American people want to see more transparency, more openness. As I said, in the midst of economic crisis, I think <u>one of the things I take responsibility for</u> is not having pushed harder on some of those issues. And I think if you take Republicans and Democrats at their word this is an area that they want to deliver on for the American people, I want to be supportive of that effort....

(About seeing so many Democrats unelected on Tuesday) There is a not only sadness about seeing them go, but thereís also a lot of questioning on my part in terms of could I have done something differently or done something more so that those folks would still be here. Itís hard. <u>And I take responsibility for it in a lot of ways</u>....

When youíre in this place (referring to Washington DC), it is hard not to seem removed. And one of the challenges that weíve got to think about is how do I meet my responsibilities here in the White House, which require a lot of hours and a lot of work, but still have that opportunity to engage with the American people on a day-to-day basis, and know -- give them confidence that Iím listening to them.</div></div>

Sack

Deeman3
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I know Gayle's translation of this already. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bush did it!

pooltchr
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Just a little reading between the lines here. His comments about the process being a sticking point for the public is only partly correct. What he failed to address is the fact that most Americans do not agree with his policies, not just the way he has gone about pushing them on us.

He pushed HC through, knowing that it was extremely unpopular.
He's pushed Cap & Trade, even though everyone knows it will be a disaster for the economy.

No, we don't like the way he has done things, but we also don't like what he is doing.

He still doesn't seem to get that part of it. He thinks maybe he did the right things the wrong way, when in fact, most people think he did the wrong things the wrong way.

Steve

Gayle in MD
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Gayle's translation of this already. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bush did it! </div></div>

Just go look it up, for yourself, what the Republicans all said today, Sherlock!

No meeting half way for any compromise. No bi-partisanship. the only way out, according to Mitch McConnell, is a Republkican president.

Give it a break. You're the one with your head in the sa\nd.

g.

sack316
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a little reading between the lines here. His comments about the process being a sticking point for the public is only partly correct. What he failed to address is the fact that most Americans do not agree with his policies, not just the way he has gone about pushing them on us.

He pushed HC through, knowing that it was extremely unpopular.
He's pushed Cap & Trade, even though everyone knows it will be a disaster for the economy.

No, we don't like the way he has done things, but we also don't like what he is doing.

He still doesn't seem to get that part of it. He thinks maybe he did the right things the wrong way, when in fact, most people think he did the wrong things the wrong way.

Steve </div></div> Very valid point Steve. I'm hoping (and maybe I'm being too optimistic here) that this part...:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but still have that opportunity to engage with the American people on a day-to-day basis, and know -- give them confidence that Iím listening to them.</div></div>

...hoping it is somewhat of a recognition of what you are talking about.

Of course, it could all be rhetoric anyway and doesn't mean a thing until there are actions to back up all of the words. But for as many things about him that I do disagree with him on, I do think he is a very intelligent person. And I think he's smart enough to realize the consequences of keeping all "as-is" after Tuesday's results. Hopefully we'll see a more centrist shift a-la Clinton's 3rd year in office.

Sack

pooltchr
11-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Obama has not listened to the American people for two years. However, I suppose that after the "shellacking" he took this week, he might have a change of heart.

I can't say that I'm hopeful, but it is a possibility.
Time will tell.

Steve

wolfdancer
11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually, Bush did do it !!!
Obama is a one term President, imo, as he has the unpopular task of fixing the mess that GW left behind.....as the saying goes....the cure is worse then the disease.
But what will really be his undoing is his noble attempt to provide affordable health care for America's disadvantaged.
XXX (http://reason.com/archives/2010/05/14/the-cure-is-worse-than-the-dis)

LWW
11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No meeting half way for any compromise. No bi-partisanship. </div></div>

Bwess his widdle heart.

I pray that they stick to their guns.

There are great issues which need to be decided.

Bipartisanship has come to mean that we get a mess that nobody likes ... which explains why we have a mess nobody likes.

Here's another quote from dear leader:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dear Leader</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>"ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!"</span> </div></div>

LWW

Deeman3
11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
It may be a noble attempt and I know it would not have been easy, but...

His big mistake, in my opinion, was just leaving it the left side of the house to craft it, picking the winners and losers in the industry and accepting anything that would be called a bill in the end by pushing it through with, as i have said, 2000 pages that made it impossible to discuss at any level but the back room.

Now, he did that to avoid the Hillary mistaken in the Clinton attempt. you can argue that it would not have been passed if he allowed the Republicans to have real input. You have a point. However, if he had taken on the lawyers, the doctors and others that were his political contributors as much as he did the insurers, I believe we would have been able to have a bill that really would address costs instead of just shifting them to the rich and working class.

Of course, the rich he could have overcome, politically. The working class he could not as evidenced by the recent election.

I will give him the credit, as some one here would not to the other side in any case, he delivered a health care bill. It is expensive, complex and will take services from the retired working class and give it to the poorer people. it will cover a fairly large group of people who would not have been covered. If I am unemployable, circumstantially poor or just not a contributor to society, I would like it. Others will like it because it is very compassionate. it is, in my opinion, just very expensive for what it will do.

Is it all bad, of course not. Do I have better plan? You betcha! (Could not help that) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The question is then, if I do, will intelligent folks on both sides agree? of course not. That would require reason from politicians, not very common in today's environment. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Again, you and I locked in a room could do this. People who hate all on the other side could not. The environment is so poisoned now that it will not be possible to work this out. With Bainter wanting nothing but Obama to lose in 2012 and Nancy morning the loss of her jets and furniture it is fruitless but fun to talk about....

wolfdancer
11-04-2010, 03:58 PM
as always, a reasonable viewpoint from Dee.

Gayle in MD
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may be a noble attempt and I know it would not have been easy, but...

His big mistake, in my opinion, was just leaving it the left side of the house to craft it, picking the winners and losers in the industry and accepting anything that would be called a bill in the end by pushing it through with, as i have said, 2000 pages that made it impossible to discuss at any level but the back room.

Now, he did that to avoid the Hillary mistaken in the Clinton attempt. you can argue that it would not have been passed if he allowed the Republicans to have real input. You have a point. However, if he had taken on the lawyers, the doctors and others that were his political contributors as much as he did the insurers, I believe we would have been able to have a bill that really would address costs instead of just shifting them to the rich and working class.

Of course, the rich he could have overcome, politically. The working class he could not as evidenced by the recent election.

I will give him the credit, as some one here would not to the other side in any case, he delivered a health care bill. It is expensive, complex and will take services from the retired working class and give it to the poorer people. it will cover a fairly large group of people who would not have been covered. If I am unemployable, circumstantially poor or just not a contributor to society, I would like it. Others will like it because it is very compassionate. it is, in my opinion, just very expensive for what it will do.

Is it all bad, of course not. Do I have better plan? You betcha! (Could not help that) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The question is then, if I do, will intelligent folks on both sides agree? of course not. That would require reason from politicians, not very common in today's environment. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Again, you and I locked in a room could do this. People who hate all on the other side could not. The environment is so poisoned now that it will not be possible to work this out. With Bainter wanting nothing but Obama to lose in 2012 and Nancy morning the loss of her jets and furniture it is fruitless but fun to talk about.... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that it would not have been passed if he allowed the Republicans to have real input. </div></div>

Republicans had well over one hundred amendments, included by Democratics.

Republicans were on every single committee that worked on the Bill.

Regardless of how much Democratics bent over backwards, to include Republican Ideas, or how many times the president invited them to debare openly with him, twice in front of the media, during which he blew their theories away, or each one of them said the same damned thing around the table, "start over" as they made total fools of themselve. .... THEY STILL VOTED NO, EVERY SINGLE TIME, ON EVERYTHING, NO, NO, NO.

I really do wish some people would stop twisting the facts around here. It really gets old.

BTW, "The Surge" failed, and Palin is an opportunist.

G.