PDA

View Full Version : Olberman suspended by MSNBC

pooltchr
11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Funny he is caught doing the same thing he lambasted FOX news for doing. He had no problem going after Murdoch for making political contributions.

Of course, the three candidates he made contributions to just happened to be in tight races against TPM candidates.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/201...l-contributions (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101105/bs_yblog_upshot/msnbc-suspends-olbermann-over-political-contributions)

Steve

Deeman3
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM
MSNBC has an ethics policy? Wonder which side he donated to? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I thought he was the head of the Democratic Campaign Committee!

Qtec
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has issued a statement demanding Olbermann's immediate reinstatement.

“It is outrageous that General Electric/MSNBC would suspend Keith Olbermann for exercising his constitutional rights to contribute to a candidate of his choice. This is a real threat to political discourse in America and will have a chilling impact on every commentator for MSNBC.

“<u>We live in a time when 90 percent of talk radio is dominated by right-wing extremists, when the Republican Party has its own cable network (Fox)</u> and when progressive voices are few and far between.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>“At a time when the ownership of Fox news contributed millions of dollars to the Republican Party, when a number of Fox commentators are using the network as a launching pad for their presidential campaigns and are raising money right off the air, </span>it is absolutely unacceptable that MSNBC suspended one of the most popular progressive commentators in the country.

“<u>Is Rachel Maddow or Ed Schultz next? Is this simply a ‘personality conflict’ within MSNBC or is one of America’s major corporations cracking down on a viewpoint they may not like? </u>Whatever the answer may be, Keith Olbermann should be reinstated immediately and allowed to present his point of view.”</div></div>

link (http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/what-role-did-comcast-play-keith-olbermanns)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have any doubt about Phil Griffin's real motive in suspending Keith Olbermann, you need look no further than how the network reacted to Joe Scarborough's donation of $4,200 to a Republican House candidate in 2006:

Joe Scarborough, host of the "Morning Joe" talk show and the evening newscast "Scarborough Country," $4,200 in March 2006 to Derrick Kitts, Republican candidate for the House from Oregon. ... A spokesperson for NBC, Jeremy Gaines, replied to questions sent to Scarborough. "Yes, he did make a donation to Derrick Kitts. Kitts is an old friend of Joe's. Joe hosts an opinion program and is not a news reporter."

Griffin might try to defend himself by saying the difference is that Olbermann interviewed one of the candidates that he contributed to after making the contribution. But Griffin's problem would be that Joe Scarborough did the exact same thing. As JohnKWilson pointed out in a diary, after donating to Derrick Kitts, Scarbrough interviewed Kitts on his program.

The bottom-line here that both Keith Olbermann and Joe Scarborough both host opinion shows. They both made personal contributions to political candidates. But Olbermann supports Democrats, and Scarborough supports Republicans, so even though Olbermann is the network's top-rated host, and even though Scarborough hides his ratings sheet in a little box in the basement, it's Olbermann that gets silenced.
</div></div>

link (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/11/5/917928/-Joe-Scarborough-did-the-exact-same-thing)

Q

Qtec
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny he is caught doing the same thing he lambasted FOX news for doing.

Steve </div></div>

Wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As you may have heard today, Keith Olbermann has been temporarily suspended from his job hosting Countdown on this network, because he made three personal political donations to candidates in this last election cycle. The reason for Keith's suspension is that here at MSNBC, there is an explicit employee rule against hosts making contributions like that.

You can do it if you ask in advance and management tells you it's OK. That's what I understand happened with our morning-show host's political donations in 2006, under previous management.

But if you don't ask in advance for an exemption from the rule, you're bound by the rule. (For the record: the rule applies to us here at MSNBC and to NBC News staff. CNBC isn't under NBC News, so they're not bound by the rule.)

I understand the rule. I understand what it means to break it. I believe everyone should face the same treatment under that rule. I also personally believe that the point has been made and we should have Keith back hosting Countdown.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Here's the larger point, though, that's going mysteriously missing from the right-wing cackling and old media cluck-cluck-clucking: <u>I know everyone likes to say, "Oh, cable news, it's all the same. Fox and MSNBC -- mirror images of each other.</u> But if you look at the <span style="color: #3333FF">long history of Fox hosts not just giving money to candidates, but actively endorsing campaigns and raising millions of dollars for politicians and political parties</span> -- whether it's Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck or Mike Huckabee -- and you'll see that we can lay that old false equivalency to rest forever. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>

There are multiple people being paid by Fox News to essentially run for office as Republican candidates. If you count not just their hosts but their contributors, you're looking at a significant portion of the entire Republican lineup of potential contenders for 2012.</span>

They can do that because there's no rule against that at Fox. <u>Their network is run as a political operation. Ours isn't. Yeah, Keith's a liberal, and so am I. But we're not a political operation -- Fox is. We're a news operation. The rules around here are part of how you know that.</u></span>

Back before it was politically safe to do it, Keith Olbermann attracted the ire of the right-wing and a lot of others besides when he brought to light and raged against what he saw as the errors and sins of the previous presidential administration. Keith was also the one who brought to light Fox News's water-carrying for the Bush Administration; he was the one whose point-of-view journalism exposed and put exclamation points on the problems of disguising a political operation as a news one, the model embraced by the guys across Sixth Avenue, at Fox.

Now, weirdly, it is Keith who is once again illustrating the difference between what he does at MSNBC -- what we do here -- and what goes on across the street.

</div></div>

link (http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/rachel-maddow-suspension-keith-olbermann)

Q

LWW
11-06-2010, 02:59 AM
The real reason is obvious ... Overbite has ratings in the basement.

This was an easy out to get rid of him.

LWW

Gayle in MD
11-06-2010, 05:02 AM
I've been telling them for years, NBC is not a liberal news organization. A total myth.

Why did they choose to replace Tim Russart, with one of the most RW people in the news business????

Dick Gregory??? Give me a break! Leans so far right it's amazing he can sit up straight, in the middle of a chair!

Scarborough has done nothing but spread lies, and bash Democratics, and this president, throughout his tenure there.

Every morning, I hear him say something that isn't true, he's no different from the average RWer on Fox, except his ego id the biggest one on television. I've seen them edit videos on Scarborough, to slant things that were stated by Republican guests, to protect them, many times.

There may have been a time when NBC leaned left, that was long ago. Chris Matthews has done as much Obama bashing as Scraborough, who never includes any representative of the Liberal, progresive side of politics. The only lefties you'll see on his program with any regularity, are Dinos.

This last action, totally unfair to Keith, proves what I've been saying all along. Scarborough can dole out all the money he wants, but just let Keith do it, and he's gone.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
G.

wolfdancer
11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Is Scarborough Fair?
Hey, that might make a great song title???
ZZZ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dau2_Lt8pbM&feature=related)

LWW
11-09-2010, 04:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did they choose to replace Tim <s>Russart</s> RUSSERT

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
G.

</div></div>

Because he died maybe?

LWW

Qtec
11-09-2010, 04:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real reason <span style='font-size: 20pt'>is obvious</span> ... Overbite has ratings in the basement.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>This was an easy out to get rid of him.</span>

LWW </div></div>

Obvious to a moron maybe. Ha. <span style='font-size: 26pt'>He's back on the air tonight...............LOL.</span>

What a dork you are. You can't squirm your way out of this one. You are <span style='font-size: 26pt'>TOTALLY WRONG........as usual!</span>

Q

LWW
11-09-2010, 05:06 AM
So MSNBC wasn't as smart as I thought they were.

You finally got a point on the board Snoopy.

Bronze it.

LWW