PDA

View Full Version : APA vs BCA

Coroner
11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I might be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but I'm going to ask anyway...which league do you prefer and why? I've only played in the APA (SL7 in 8&9 ball) and the BCA is going to start a league in my local pool hall. Another 7 in the APA asked me to join the BCA and said "it is more fun for the higher skilled player, you don't have to worry about handicaps, etc." So, if you have any opinion I'd like to hear it. I will have to choose as my family obligations only allow me out one night a week. Thanks.

JJFSTAR
11-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I have never played for a BCA team but I do play for a “Section 1” West Penn Pool League team that is not handicapped but “Sectioned”. I also play on an APA team. Handicapping naturally lends itself to attracting lesser skilled players and there is nothing wrong with that. So “for me” it would be no contest if I had to choose I would play for my WPPL team.

Rich R.
11-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I live in the middle of two of the largest APA areas in the country and BCA has a very small presence in this area.

Althought I have never played BCA, I know others that do in other areas. Some BCA leagues do handicap in some way. I think it is a team handicap rather than a player handicap. I really don't know much about it.

What I don't like about the BCA is that you really don't play a match against another player. You play a game or two against all players on the other team. I like getting into a real match and the APA format gives me that.

11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm more partial to playing a set, against one opponent versus playing one game against the whole line up.

The APA in my area has a "Masters" division, where you play a race to 7, no handicaps and you play both 8 ball and 9 ball. I enjoy this format the best.

Eric

Rich R.
11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm more partial to playing a set, against one opponent versus playing one game against the whole line up.

The APA in my area has a "Masters" division, where you play a race to 7, no handicaps and you play both 8 ball and 9 ball. I enjoy this format the best.

Eric </div></div>I played in the APA Masters division for a couple of sessions before I switched pool rooms. I loved that format.

Bambu
11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree the masters division would be the way to go. The thing is, thats not always an option. Not all apa league operators offer a masters division.

Though the level of play is generally higher, I also dont like the bca format. Another thing I dont like is the size of the bca. Sometimes bca leagues are "in house" because they dont have enough locations. Kinda sucks playing the same people every week.

I still think it all boils down to the particular players in your area. If you like them and their level of play, thats more important than the format.

Coroner
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Thank you all for your input. I do have a Masters division in my area (middle Tennessee). It's a bit of drive, but I'll look into it more. Thanks again.

Fran Crimi
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....I still think it all boils down to the particular players in your area. If you like them and their level of play, thats more important than the format.</div></div>

I think you hit the nail on the head, Bambu. Also, to me, the league operator is vitally important as well. If you've got a good LO, then I think the league will be good.

heater451
12-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Years ago, I played in a BCA league. It was more of a "bar league", so many of the players were not as 'hardcore' as what you might find in a pool hall.

Assuming that the round-robin format hasn't changed, I believe that was the major difference in playing. Most of the APA and TAP opinions I've ever heard dislike the lack of the race-format, but I liked the social aspect of it. You play everyone on the team once, and you get to know the range of skills very well. In APA/TAP, I find that I get posted against the same players all of the time, due to the handicap.

If you prefer the competitive aspect, over the social aspect, then APA or TAP should get the nod. The opposite, for BCA.

If you've never done it, I suggest playing for that reason alone.

BCA Master Instr
12-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Play in both and report back.
randyg

Sid_Vicious
12-25-2010, 12:10 PM
BCA Masters will post you up to compete and play with every Master on the other team, PLUS you get the wisdon and fun times from the other Masters on your team. APA and TAP has you waiting for how knows how long just to play,,,it could be midnight, and then you shoot against only one player. I have mostly shot pool in organized BCA over the last 25 years, and I'll tell ya, the talent and "shoulder rubbing" I've gotten from that high tier of players...well it puts APA and TAP to miserable shame. I will say this about BCA though in a negative way. You sometimes get a format in 8B where you play only one game per player. I think that is an un-fun aspect for the cost to play the evening. Still, BCA is the only game in town in my mind! TAP, well TAP sucks! martin

504boi
01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I've played in APA, BCA, TAP, and Valley. Been to Vegas for APA, BCA, and Valley, and rally in the vally for TAP. Without a doubt, BCA is the toughest, followed by VNEA, APA, then TAP. In that order. I do perfer APA format though.