PDA

View Full Version : Shaking Hands? Really?

Deeman3
11-09-2010, 02:34 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">In a non-partisan way here, do you think this guy was really "offended" about having the contact? </span>

JAKARTA, Indonesia Once the wait for President Barack Obama's return was over, Indonesian anticipation turned to another question: Would a conservative Muslim government minister shake the first lady's hand?

He says he did, but not by choice. Footage on YouTube shows otherwise, sparking a debate that has lit up Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the blogosphere.

"I tried to prevent (being touched) with my hands but Mrs. Michelle held her hands too far toward me (so) we touched," Information Minister Tifatul Sembiring told tens of thousands of followers on Twitter.

While Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world, the vast majority practice a moderate form of the faith. But Sembiring has flaunted his piety, making a point of avoiding contact with women who are not related to him.

The minister was among the dignitaries in a receiving line that greeted the Obamas as they arrived in Jakarta

on Tuesday a homecoming of sorts for the president who spent part of his childhood here. Indonesians gathered around television sets across the country to watch the American president touch down. Children at the school he attended practiced a song dedicated to him just in case he visited.

In footage of the official welcome, Sembiring appeared to share his countrymen's enthusiasm. He smiled broadly as he shook the president's hand and then reached with both hands to grasp Michelle's. But later he said she forced their contact.

His denial was in a response to tweets from Indonesians who noted the handshake, saying it called into question his long-standing claims that, as a good Muslim, he restricts his contact with women.

Many posts had a "gotcha" quality to them.

pooltchr
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
I see it as a non-issue. When the guy got into the reception line to great them, he had to know what to expect. If he didn't want to shake her hand, he should have stepped out of the line before she got to him.

Steve

Deeman3
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes, and I thnk it was rude to even comment on it afterward on his part.

I wonder if they'll chop his hand off later? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sev
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
My understanding is he was later caught eating a pulled pork sandwich.

Qtec
11-10-2010, 02:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see it as a non-issue. When the guy got into the reception line to great them, he had to know what to expect. If he didn't want to shake her hand, he should have stepped out of the line before she got to him.

Steve </div></div>

You don't know anything about Muslims, do you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traditionally in Muslim society, a Muslim man <span style='font-size: 14pt'>never</span> shakes hands with a Muslim woman. The only exception to this general rule is when a woman is a close relative to the man. Although many things tend to change over time, this taboo against a man shaking hands with a Muslim woman is still quite the norm within many traditional Muslim societies today. </div></div>

It wasn't personal.

Q

pooltchr
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[ <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traditionally in Muslim society, a Muslim man <span style='font-size: 14pt'>never</span> shakes hands with a <span style="color: #FF0000">Muslim woman</span>. . </div></div>

It wasn't personal.

Q </div></div>

Are you suggesting that the first lady is a muslim woman????

Steve

eg8r
11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
So you are saying Michele is a Muslim woman?

eg8r

Deeman3
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Q, don't be in that nutty 20% now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="color: #FF0000">In a non-partisan way here, do you think this guy was really "offended" about having the contact? </span>

JAKARTA, Indonesia Once the wait for President Barack Obama's return was over, Indonesian anticipation turned to another question: Would a conservative Muslim government minister shake the first lady's hand?

He says he did, but not by choice. Footage on YouTube shows otherwise, sparking a debate that has lit up Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the blogosphere.

"I tried to prevent (being touched) with my hands but Mrs. Michelle held her hands too far toward me (so) we touched," Information Minister Tifatul Sembiring told tens of thousands of followers on Twitter.

While Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world, the vast majority practice a moderate form of the faith. But Sembiring has flaunted his piety, making a point of avoiding contact with women who are not related to him.

The minister was among the dignitaries in a receiving line that greeted the Obamas as they arrived in Jakarta

on Tuesday a homecoming of sorts for the president who spent part of his childhood here. Indonesians gathered around television sets across the country to watch the American president touch down. Children at the school he attended practiced a song dedicated to him just in case he visited.

In footage of the official welcome, Sembiring appeared to share his countrymen's enthusiasm. He smiled broadly as he shook the president's hand and then reached with both hands to grasp Michelle's. But later he said she forced their contact.

His denial was in a response to tweets from Indonesians who noted the handshake, saying it called into question his long-standing claims that, as a good Muslim, he restricts his contact with women.

Many posts had a "gotcha" quality to them.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> Is there some point here? Forgive me, but I truly do not see a point in this post.

G. </span>

wolfdancer
11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I understand his quagmire.....I normally refuse to shake hands with a rightie, but propriety sometimes dictates that I do.

Deeman3
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Is there some point here? Forgive me, but I truly do not see a point in this post.

G. [/b] </span>

Not just to irritate you but to point out how rude and inconsiderate it was to pretend to not want to touch our First Lady's hand, then stand there grinning and reaching out to do so. Then he claims it was "accidental" when it clearly shows he was not trying to avoid that.

It had no political point nor was anything but a comment on his hypocracy about the contact.

Please don't read anything in this was not there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

sack316
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Maybe we was drunk, and found himself in a Coyote ugly type of situation /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Or maybe he was ashamed because she probably had a better handshake than him. Michelle has some nice guns on her!

Sack

LWW
11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I have to stick up for the Obamas on this one ... the guy is a liar.

LWW

Deeman3
11-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Yep! Agreed!

Qtec
11-10-2010, 11:42 PM
No. Like I said, its got nothing to do with her, its all about his hangups. In Musim society you don't shake hands with a woman, any woman.

Q

LWW
11-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Then why did he so willingly do so ... besides the obvious fact that he's a lying pinhead.

LWW

eg8r
11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. Like I said, its got nothing to do with her, its all about his hangups. In Musim society you don't shake hands with a woman, any woman.

</div></div>Well that sure is not what you said in your last post. You were specific in stating a "muslim" woman.

eg8r